Wreck Reel - What are they for??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

noj3333

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Sooo... I'm looking to take the plunge and start diving in more local water (Boston/ NYC/ Great Lakes) and some of the charters I've looked into suggest (but don't require) a 'Wreck Reel'...

It's my belief/ guess that you take a reel and tie to to the wreck (around the down line??) so you can use your reel line to navigate back to the down line??? Is that correct?

Is this common practice?

Do most New England divers use one?

Is it something I should plan on buying?? If so any suggestions for style/ brand/ size???

If you're planning to dive in the cold, dark, usually poor visibility waters of the North Atlantic then you definitely need a reel. You never tie it to the downline, always to a piece of the wreck close enough to the tie off point so that you can find it. The tie off to the dive boat can break free and just think about what might happen if you are tied to that line. Nothing good will come of it, I'll tell you that much.

That's for starters. Another think you need to know is that if you decide to penetrate deep into a wreck, using a reel as a guideline, you want to tie it off every few feet, otherwise it can break when caught up on a piece of wreckage, or it can sort of disappear into part of the wreck as you go around the corner- and when you return back towards your entry the line seems to go right into a wall or whatever.

Of course there's more to running a reel than just that but those are certainly two of the more important takeaways.

Another that comes to mind is that if you cross another diver's line, you run yours under it, it's a courtesy "right of way" sort of thing.

Yet another is that you need TWO reels and a marker that you can deploy from depth should you not be able to return to the upline for some reason or even if it should break while you're off exploring due to no fault of your own.

And now that you have me thinking, another tip is to always know where your line is relative to your position, and never let it get too slack or it tends to develop a mind of it's own and wrap itself around parts of your gear that are difficult to reach.

I use "The Reeler" by the now defunct Spectrum Manufacturing, which is a completely sealed unit, the string is inside and it's almost impossible to tangle or go off the spool, and the Mantra which has an integrated grip in the handle so to let out line all you need to do is squeeze as you swim along.

Thank you for the reply.

Some quick thoughts...
-Good point about not tying off to the down line... something I hand't thought about, but clearly important...
-Wreck Penetrations, not for me, but that's what i thought reels were used for, caves and penetrations.
-I appreciate the the tip about going under another divers line when you cross them...

Even if you don't penetrate a wreck you still want to periodically wrap the line around some object as you deploy line so it doesn't chafe against wreckage.

All I'm thinking about now is how I'm going to explain to my wife how I need to spend another $100+ on a roll of string with a handle... Oh yeah, and I may need two of them!!!
:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Just tell her it's for your safety. She'll understand completely. And if she doesn't and says "you are only allowed to get one", well then you've got bigger problems.

HAHA... she'll be ok with it...

The FedEx/ UPS/ USPS delivery men have been visiting our front door on a pretty regular basis lately and she hasn't walked out yet!

The best was actually explaining the freedom plate to her... "But, Kristina, I've been on the wait list for almost a year... I HAVE to buy it NOW or I'll miss out..."

I get by okay since my partner tends to be more paranoid about what might happen to me. He's been looking the other way so far at least.

I believe my instructors and buddies tend to use the Dive Rite reels (not 100% sure though). They're cave and scientific divers, not sure about wreck experience but the principle is the same. The Dive Rite's are pretty simple and easy to handle, although I have had one lock-knob spin completely off.

It's great to be single, avoids all of that :yeahbaby:

IDK... Speaking solely about dive related items in our relationship... She's a great dive/ travel buddy, makes more money then me, gave me a future dive buddy this year (our daughter), lets me travel solo for diving, and really allows me to buy whatever I want.

I think I'm winning this one! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom