Wreck Training Question from TX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are two things that I can think of:

1) Find a location that has the environment to train in. (I live in the NJ/NY area, I couldn't ask for a better place)

2) Find a good instructor. The Agency really doesn't matter that much.

I know this is vague, but I don’t want to start one of these bashing sessions that go on here over which agency is the best. You could check with some of dive boat that you might be close to for an instructor recommendation.

DSAO

Thanks! Just curious. It will be summer before I can really do anything but trying to get some info.

connellc:
Thanks! Just curious. It will be summer before I can really do anything but trying to get some info.

If traveling is an option for you, feel free to contact me and I can point you in the number of locations and instuctors once you know your plans.

Good Luck

connellc:
Any suggestions for someone in Texas interested in getting wreck diving training? Thanks in advance.

I would stongly recommend finding an instructor who is also a cave diver or has had full cave instruction. He does not have to be a cave instructor but a cave diver. Many very good instructors teaching overhead environment diving from all over the east coast have been taking full cave and getting certified to make them better at wreck diving and teaching wreck diving. Cave instruction has some of the best training in gear configuration, handling of emergencys (self reliance), gas management training, task loading etc. All things required for technical wreck diving. A cave trained wreck diving instructor will bring all this experience to your wreck class.

Dive safe
Kvdivr

connellc, you can contact me @ mschlink@Houston.rr.com- I am full cave 14 years, Trimix and deepwreck penetration I can help or point in a direction. KVDIVR is spot on, wreck and cave are very similar but both have their own techniques and considerations. Equipment config is similar but not exactly the same.

connellc:

As stated above, if travelling is an option for you, I can recommend several good instructors in Florida. PM me if you'd like contact info.

Michael Schlink:
connellc, you can contact me @ mschlink@Houston.rr.com- I am full cave 14 years, Trimix and deepwreck penetration I can help or point in a direction. KVDIVR is spot on, wreck and cave are very similar but both have their own techniques and considerations. Equipment config is similar but not exactly the same.

Thanks Michael. I will hang on to your email and contact you a little closer to summer.

Cave Diver:
As stated above, if travelling is an option for you, I can recommend several good instructors in Florida. PM me if you'd like contact info.

Traveling is an option if a made a trip out of it but I was really hoping for something more local for initial training, ect.

connellc:
Traveling is an option if a made a trip out of it but I was really hoping for something more local for initial training, ect.

I've participated in continuing education training over the course of several weekends/long weekends. It can be a little rough travelling and diving in that short a time frame, especially since you are further away than I am.

Michael, since you are in Houston, we may have to get together and dive sometime. I'm planning to meet up with several people from Houston later this month to do some cave diving in Florida. One of them is a LDS owner in Houston that I met several times and the other 3 are friends of his that recently got intro certified.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom