Wreck Training Question from TX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Cave Diver is the LDS owner Dave? I am going to High Springs on or around the 25th through the 1st of Feb. what's your schedule. I need to meet with J.J. on the 29th in H.S.. I've been looking for a cave buddy so maybe we can try a dive together. I usually stay at the HS Country Inn and get my gas @ EE. I was over there on my way to DEMA on did Lil River and Cow. The flow at Cow was pushing hard so we ski roped it thewhole way!

Hey Connelc What kind of wreck diving are you looking to do, where are you in experience and training. Something you might want to think about. We can do your basic here in the great state of Texas, then progress to some warm water wrecks off the coast of FL. and get into penetrating and some depth and then go to the Carolina coast and then upper east coast. This would be a good progression and is great diving. Most the wrecks in Fl aren't historical but are great for training then you can work your way up the east coast and/or head for the Great Lakes. I'm ready, who all's coming!

They're called "Great" for a reason!

Great wrecks, great diving, great buddies....

connellc:
Any suggestions for someone in Texas interested in getting wreck diving training? Thanks in advance.

You'll want to first find an instructor who is certified in Wreck Diving. If you are willing to travel, there are plenty of wrecks in the Great Lakes. A few springs in Florida will also have a few wrecks that you could check out.

Michael Schlink:
Hey Connelc What kind of wreck diving are you looking to do, where are you in experience and training. Something you might want to think about. We can do your basic here in the great state of Texas, then progress to some warm water wrecks off the coast of FL. and get into penetrating and some depth and then go to the Carolina coast and then upper east coast. This would be a good progression and is great diving. Most the wrecks in Fl aren't historical but are great for training then you can work your way up the east coast and/or head for the Great Lakes. I'm ready, who all's coming!

Michael, one of the main reasons I got into diving was because I wanted to explore wrecks. I have no experience in this area because I am a fairly new diver. Given this, I guess I would need to start at the beginning of wreck training. I have my OW cert. and am getting my AOW before summer. I saw that AOW is a prerequisite for a PADI wreck diving specialty, which I am also interested in. The kind of wreck diving that I would like to do would be anything at or above 120 foot. Of course, I will need to start at the proper training level first.

Connellc, no problem I am a PADI wreck instructor and have been diving wrecks for over 10 years. We can start at the beginning and work your way up or down so to speak as your comfort, skill, desire, and training allow. I'll be happy to help you in any capacity you need either as a buddy or instructor. As you have found out, I'm sure, the scuba board is a great place to get a plethora of differing opinions and advice. You'll find wreck divers are as opinionated as cavers. Although I believe there is not an absolute method or gear configuration I can introduce you to several different techniques and philosophies and then you can make a informed decision on how to proceed.

Michael Schlink:
Hey Cave Diver is the LDS owner Dave? I am going to High Springs on or around the 25th through the 1st of Feb. what's your schedule. I need to meet with J.J. on the 29th in H.S.. I've been looking for a cave buddy so maybe we can try a dive together. I usually stay at the HS Country Inn and get my gas @ EE. I was over there on my way to DEMA on did Lil River and Cow. The flow at Cow was pushing hard so we ski roped it thewhole way!

I am shedding a tear with all this cave talk. I usually get down 3 times a year for a week or so in the fall, Jan and May but I had to cancel my last 2 trips to FL and I am starting to twitch. Alas, I have to wait for May to come for my next trip.
I will be down in FL the last 2 weeks of May trying to catch up on my nitrogen. Maybe we will bump into one another.
Dive safe
Kvdivr

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom