wreckvalley.com is being temporarily put on hold

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2O lover once bubbled...
As far as I know who ever registers it owns it.

Well, I don't know what the issues are.

But, I do know that you don't necessarily get to keep a domain just because you register it.

If you interfere with someone's trademark rights, the domain could be given to them by the domain registrar.

Other issues are also possible.

OK, the last couple of posts came from where?

mwilding once bubbled...
OK, the last couple of posts came from where?

If you do a google search on Wreck Valley, it appears to be a charter boat or something. There's also, it seems, a book called Wreck Valley by Daniel Berg. I assume the issue is with one of these.

Dan berg wrote "wreck Valley" and owns the charter boat "Wreck Valley" It would seem to me that he should have had the sense to register that domain. He has had years to do this. The name of his company is aqua explorers. He has registered that domain name. If you really think about it the name of this group should be also changed.
As to where I'm from, I'm on Long Island in Dan Bergs back yard.:doctor:

H2O lover once bubbled...
Dan berg wrote "wreck Valley" and owns the charter boat "Wreck Valley"

Well, that's a funny coincidence :wink:

I think the solution would be to go register wreckvalley.org if it's not already done.

Actually it's not Dan Berg, but SB, who has the problem with us owning the domain.

Let me just start by saying WV is a very common name for this area, no one really owns the rights to it.

Since the name of this forum (AKA: NDI club) is wreck valley, they think if anyone owns the domain name, it should be them.

The founding members, as well as a few of the original members are near a final decision, but it looks as though we are going to keep the domain, and change our name here to wreck valley divers.

...And with the issue at hand, I thought that it sounded like it was something that I wanted to stay out of.

However, in realizing that this is an issue with SB and not Dan Berg, I've had a change of heart.

I am the webmaster for DeepSouthDivers.org, the Deep South Divers "personal website" that is related to the Deep South Divers NDI chapter here on this board. I believe I was the one who started this tradition of donating the domain name to SB... Let me attempt to explain why I thought this would work (and it has):

Scubaboard has become a place of tremendous traffic... It's a place that many divers from around the world visit and virtually "hang out" on a regular basis. This is due, in part, to several things... Here's the top two as I see them:

1. Scubaboard places high in the search engines.

2. Scubaboard's management team has exercised both political correctness and reduced censorship. The system's not perfect, and if you've ever had your thread "kicked" or "censored," you may feel differently - but the bottom line is that they've done an excellent job at keeping everyone happy. Flame wars are minimal, but everyone is still free to express their opinion. It's a tough compromise for them to achieve this, and like I said, it's not perfect... But it's very good, and it's kept the board running. Spam is almost nonexistent, and most topics are scuba-related, unless specified otherwise. It's a very good board, and I know of none as popular and none that have done a better job at balancing free speech and baloney.

Now, let me put it this way... This reputation - and the traffic that's bloomed as a result - is a huge accomplishment for any group, especially one so diverse as scuba divers. And if the group of divers in a certain NDL charter is going to represent themselves with a certain name... And that name is going to be adopted by a certain website... Well... Simply stated, that new website is a reflection of Scubaboard. If the name of the website and the name of the NDI charter are different, then it may not be a direct reflection... But if they're the same, then it is.

So... Here's the bottom line: Your website is a direct reflection on Scubaboard.

Fine, right? Not so fast, there, Speedy...

Let's say a group of us... Wreck Valley, Deep South Divers, Freshwater Freaks, and the Florida Conch Divers, for example, all have our own sites... We respect each other, get along, and generally serve as a good, healthy representation of Scubaboard. Everything goes great until one day a new NDI charter is created... I dunno... Say it's Arizona. Hawaii. Alaska. New York. I don't care... Just say it's a newcomer, and he creates a new NDI charter and grabs the domain name and has a separate website, away from SB, like we do. Let's say 50 people join. Fine, right?

Well... Let's say that his idea of what's appropriate on his site is different than ours. Let's say he's got a particular hatred towards a certain ethnic group or he allows profanity on "his" website or questionable content of any sort... Maybe he just gets in an argument with a moderator and decides to use "his" site for personal revenge. Do you see the problem here? Guess what? His actions affect you and me and our websites. People's opinions of NDI, Scubaboard, and even the other chapters of NDI may be adversely affected.

In short, if we all begin to build separate chapter websites, then we're all dependent on each other to uphold the same ethical standards that Scubaboard has. That can be a real problem; after all, none of us really know each other that well, or have any idea of what each other's ethical values really are.

...So in the face of being told that either I had to change my website's domain name or that the NDI charter needed to change it's name... I thought of a unique solution: Donate the name to Scubaboard.

Here's how that works: Scubaboard now has control over where the domain name points. For example, DeepSouthDivers.org points to the IP address of 205.240.35.88; my server. I put the site on my server, and when people type in "DeepSouthDivers.org," it takes them there. Simple.

Well, if I don't maintain the same ethical values and principles as Scubaboard, then guess what? Scubaboard can make a change... And suddenly, I lose all of my traffic. My site is still there, but unless people type in the IP address, they go wherever Scubaboard sends them.

...So what does this mean? Well... It means that there's a system of checks and balances. *I* alone can't ruin a good thing... If I were to reflect poorly on Scubaboard, then Scubaboard has a defense... They redirect traffic. Simple.

Obviously, this requires a tremendous amount of trust on my part: I trust that Scubaboard would only do this in a very extreme case... I trust that if an issue began to arise, they'd contact me first and allow me the chance to resolve the issue before it came to such extreme measures. But in light of how much they're trusting me to represent them on another site, I feel that my trust in them is only reciprocal.

The relationship has worked out well. It keeps me in check, and thus far, there's never been a disparity between us. They are ensured that I'm going to represent the group well, and in return, I get to be a part of it and enjoy the massive traffic flow.

...So this was my idea... And I certainly can understand your reluctance to adopt the policy. But I ask that you please adopt it. After all, don't YOU want to be protected from ME doing something stupid on "my" website? I can assure you that *I* want that assurance about you. :)

Please consider the possibility of donating the domain name - and supporting this policy. It's worked out great for DeepSouthDivers so far, and I believe it would work out well for you too.

Oh, and welcome to the club. :)

Dan's got a CD called "Wreck Valley"
I would assume that the Wreck Valley website will be intercepting some traffic intended for Capt. Dan, at the least it would be polite to have a note with link pointing to his website displayed in a noticible location on the index.htm page.

I have a copy of his CD "Wreck Valley" & recommend it for you NE divers.

SeaJay-Please don't misinterpret grunzsters post.
There is a lot more to the conversation than this thread.
We are mainly in agreement with you.

Although the vote is still open,
it looks like we will change the name on the forum to
wreck valley divers, as that is our name.
Have you seen our logo?

We do intend to build wreckvalleydivers.com, or .org, or whatever
fits the NDI theme. And of course SB can hold the registration.

SeaJay you are correct on many points, maybe even all of them BUT...you don't know the full story

That's not the deal they proposed to us. It was they take over the domain, host it, design it, etc. From the way it was described to me, we have little control over it. Also there are no rules, we were told we make up the rules for our club, and they didn't go after us until we had the thread about our site going for a good month. After many hours of design and developement.

I did a lot of work personally. Because I was designing a site for a sport I love, for a bunch of really cool people, many of whom I've met personally and dived with. Now we're suppossed to just give it away to SB, some soon to be corporation. We'll if that's the case, maybe I should send them an invoice! Charging NYC rates of course!

We have no problem with them having a site for our club, but besides representing NDI, it also must represent our area. What does some webmaster from (insert smart-ass non-existant, backwoods town sounding name here) know about wreck valley?

A lot of members are also various types of, design, programming, network, etc. geeks. Plus we started the club, we've dove together, in WV. We just want to have our own site too. Since we already have the ball rolling, we'd rather just change the NDI club name, and let them register that domain to do with as they please.

Also, what's to stop any individual member from creating a site that bashes SB, or has inappropriate content and is connected to SB, because they mention being a member etc.

Also this is just a message board, a really good one, but still it's not really a club, just the name of a forum on their site. I can set up a message board with forums, with all the same names as SB. I'm not trying to dis SB, but I think they are taking this waaaaaaaay too seriously. Oooooh but they are going to incorporate, so that makes it serious, I guess! So what does that mean, what does that do for us? Being NDI member, do we get SB corporate cards to charge our new gear to!

Bob-
There will be areas on our site linking to many WV related sites. LDS, charters, etc. I'm sure when we finally finish development, Mr. Berg, will have more than 1 link on our site.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom