wreckvalley.com is being temporarily put on hold

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

True, but I really don't care anymore.

I think the situaion has been resolved, and I think everyone in our area has a right to know what's been going on.

I can't exactly PM everyone.

with being "banned" for discussing such things. If you threaten people with harm or abuse them verbally, then that might be a different matter.

If we need to change the name, then we will go away from "WreckValley" altogether. You can start figuring out what name you would like, but "Wreck Valley" won't be in it.

Wreck Valley was started out as one of ScubaBoard's clubs. Then without consulting with SB management someone decided to use that as an URL for club news. We do NOT allow that type of advertising or linking on SB. Either we control the site, or we don't connect to it. We have spent even more countless hours, energy and money to get SB where it is today (Thanks SeaJay) and we do that by maintaining control of our assets. Our only assets are our names, and that includes SB and the names of it's clubs. Yes, the TOS was violated when WreckValley.com was registered, but we aren't seeking "retribution" as the mistake was obviously an honest one. We just want to correct the mistake.

Now we have an asset in dispute. Since we will be providing web pages that will be controlled for the most part by the clubs (not SB, as someone contended), I don't see a big issue for you... it was obviously not an issue for SeaJay. But after all is said and done, "Wreck Valley" is the club name and if we change it, it will be far more substantial then just adding "Divers" to it. WreckValley.com is the preferred name for us, and it is the one we seek. We do not mind y'all having/using wreckvalley.org as it is less preferred (people almost always use the .com first). Transferring your pages to it should be a no-brainer and as always, we don't mind picking up the tab. Scubaboard has provided you a club and space to connect with other divers. We provide a veritable ton of information about diving as well. All we ask is that you let us control our assets in a manner that is consistent with the rest of the Scubaboard Clubs.

We need to complete this BEFORE we switch over to the new server 12/17/2003. Relinquish the URL or rename the club.

If you have any further questions regarding how we view our clubs and other assets, please feel free to PM me directly.

grunzster once bubbled...
SeaJay you are correct on many points, maybe even all of them BUT...you don't know the full story

XJaye once bubbled...
SeaJay-Please don't misinterpret grunzsters post.
There is a lot more to the conversation than this thread.
We are mainly in agreement with you.

I can see that. :) It's true that I don't know ANYTHING about what's going on. All I know is what I've read here. I have not spoken to anyone directly about this... Not grunzster, not NetDoc, and not anyone else.

Forgive me if I'm overstepping my bounds. None of this has anything to do with me, and I hope I haven't spoken out of place.

All I see is a new club that seems to be going through some of the same apprehensions that I did not too long ago... And I'm just trying to help express how great it's worked out for Deep South Divers. Perhaps the situation is completely different... I truly don't know. Based on NetDoc's post, though, it continues to ring of the same situation.

An outside observation here: It appears to me that there's a significant misunderstanding here... Grunzster, based on your words (and XJae's as well), it appears that you don't have an issue donating the name. It appears that you have an issue with someone else managing the WreckValley website. That is certainly understandable.

But I don't hear NetDoc requesting that someone else manage your website. I only hear him asking for you guys to donate the name.

This is consistent with what's gone on with Deep South Divers... The site continues to reside on my server, and I still continue to be the only individual who can make changes on it. Other than giving the site a facelift when it's name changed (and adding some new, pertinent information - as well as more links to SB), the site hasn't changed from when it was called something else. The IP address is still the same, I am still the webmaster, and it still resides on my server.

It sounds to me like that's all that Scubaboard is asking for... They simply want the ability to instantly remove it's affiliation in case there is a sudden disparity... And they can't do that unless they control the domain name.

The bottom line is that if your intentions are pure and you uphold the high ethical values that Scubaboard has (and it certainly sounds like you would), then none of this will ever become an issue anyway.

You're simply giving SB a guarantee of this by donating the domain name.

Have you been informed otherwise? Have they told you that they want to "ditch" your site and build another? I can't imagine that they'd be interested in undoing all of your work just so that they could do it themselves. Is that your apprehension?

Grunzster, if there's anything in the world that I can do to help, please let me know. I feel like DSD has already been down this path, and if there's anything we can do to give you guys a hand in making this situation right, we're here.

PM me, or email me at SeaJay@bftwave.net . Or you can call me if you'd rather. (843) 597-2151. I'm open and willing to do whatever it takes to help WV and SB to see eye-to-eye. :)

we are putting this announcement in all of the other forums...

Web Master Needed...

your club needs a webmaster to take care of your upcoming web page. Please decide and PM me with the name(s) that will be handling this. Please see Server Update for more info.

Can you clarify? I went back the referenced thread, but wasn't able to get much information on this.

Is it SB's intention to host each club's website? If so, what are the limitations? (Deep South Divers is HUGE - the only reason that I can do this is because I own my own servers.)

Are all NDI chapters going to be required to have their own website?

Are each of the chapters going to have full creative reign over the design of the website, or must we choose from (a) template(s)?

Thanks!

you are asking about will depend on the expertise of the individual webmasters. Some will want a template, but we are flexible about what and where it sits. However, as big as you are, we could have each club that big with no worries. Really.

And yes, each ScubaBoard club will have it's own website. One way or the other! :tease:

Are you ready for prime time?

:D

This all sounds fantastic. It sounds like there's going to be some awesome things happening on this board.

Free space for the clubs... Everyone represented... The choice of free creative reign or help with design... It all sounds great. :D

Grunzster, I'd love to see your site... When are you going to unveil it again?

ehem, guys. has ever one thought about subdomains with minipages with brief information about the clubs and links to the 'full' webpages instead? that would retain the individuality of the club pages and SB could have their quality assurance 'in house'.

i am a professional webmaster myself and i don't understand the reasoning to like require individual clubs being owned by a forum website. besides, believe me, it will require a full-time webmaster to administer, create and maintain all those pages, because i don't think that every club has a webmaster who knows HTML and scripting.

i don't want to offend anyone and, no, i haven't really read the ToS, but i am just trying to use common sense. if anyone needs any help, i am surely willing to help out. :wink:

I guess it will go back up as soon as we finally make our decision.

That and as soon as we start to get som of the content in there, since all we really have up right now is a photo gallery.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom