Wrinkles April '07 Dive, BBQ and Campout Planning Thread - Leo Carrillo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

headhunter:
Be sure to coordinate with whoever has the burgers and whoever has the hot dogs, so that you come out close to even with the buns. :wink:

This conjures up images of Steve Martin in Father of the Bride...

Stock boy: Excuse me, sir, but what are you doing?
George: I'll tell you what I'm doing. I want to buy eight hot dogs and eight hot dog buns to go with them. But no one sells eight hot dog buns. They only sell twelve hot dog buns. So I end up paying for four buns I don't need. So I am removing the superfluous buns.
Stock boy: I'm sorry, sir. But you're going to have to pay for all twelve buns. They're not marked individually.
George: Yeah. And you want to know why? Because some big-shot over at the wiener company got together with some big-shot over at the bun company and decided to rip off the American public. Because they think the American public is a bunch of trusting nit-wits who will pay for everything they don't need rather than make a stink!
Manager: Get me security.
George: Well, they're not ripping off this nit-wit anymore because I'm not paying for one more thing I don't need! George Banks is saying no!
Stock boy: Who's George Banks?
George: Me!
Manager: Why don't we just calm down now, sir.
George: I'll tell you why "we" don't calm down, because you're not excited! It takes two people for a "we" to calm down, doesn't it?
Manager: Uh, that I don't know, sir. I'm just the assistant manager of a supermarket. But I'll tell you this. If you don't pipe down and pay for those buns, I'm going to call the police.
George: Oh...right! Yeah! Uh-huh. Yeah. Right!

bluesbro1982:
This conjures up images of Steve Martin in Father of the Bride...

Stock boy: Excuse me, sir, but what are you doing?
George: I'll tell you what I'm doing. I want to buy eight hot dogs and eight hot dog buns to go with them. But no one sells eight hot dog buns. They only sell twelve hot dog buns. So I end up paying for four buns I don't need. So I am removing the superfluous buns.
Stock boy: I'm sorry, sir. But you're going to have to pay for all twelve buns. They're not marked individually.
George: Yeah. And you want to know why? Because some big-shot over at the wiener company got together with some big-shot over at the bun company and decided to rip off the American public. Because they think the American public is a bunch of trusting nit-wits who will pay for everything they don't need rather than make a stink!
Manager: Get me security.
George: Well, they're not ripping off this nit-wit anymore because I'm not paying for one more thing I don't need! George Banks is saying no!
Stock boy: Who's George Banks?
George: Me!
Manager: Why don't we just calm down now, sir.
George: I'll tell you why "we" don't calm down, because you're not excited! It takes two people for a "we" to calm down, doesn't it?
Manager: Uh, that I don't know, sir. I'm just the assistant manager of a supermarket. But I'll tell you this. If you don't pipe down and pay for those buns, I'm going to call the police.
George: Oh...right! Yeah! Uh-huh. Yeah. Right!
This is exactly what I was thinking when I wrote, "...close to even." :D

Christian

ok, Moved some things around and I'll be camping Saturday night too, so diving on Sat & Sun!! woohoo!

I'll be bringing hot dogs, mustard, ketchup, relish & onions for the community meals.

Plus the usual camping gear...stove, small gas bbq, lanterns, 8 person tent (cuz I don't have a smaller one, lol), but if weather is nice I'll probably just sleep in the back of my truck on an air mattress.

Christian, please PM me with your number to discuss the camping part.

Hey Christian, here is the list you requested of camping gear I'll bring.

8 person tent (but my air mattress takes up 1/2)
2 burner camp stove (small propane bottle type)
EZ up (large industrial / swap meet type)
small (approx 12" x 8" grill) BBQ (small propane bottle type)
2 liquid camp fuel type lanterns
folding chairs ( I can bring up to 4)
small (18" x 18") folding aluminum table
camping type coffee pot
cooking utensils
Hatchet
long cooking forks for hot dogs or marshmallows
Ice chest (I can just bring a normal one for my needs or a giant one for community needs)

I think that covers it. I also have a liquid fuel 2 burner camp stove but won't bring that unless you think it's needed.

C'ya there,
Josh

p.s. Kim you now have no excuse.... Not a "desert" dive anymore, lol.

Jesster:
Hey Christian, here is the list you requested of camping gear I'll bring.

8 person tent (but my air mattress takes up 1/2)
2 burner camp stove (small propane bottle type)
EZ up (large industrial / swap meet type)
small (approx 12" x 8" grill) BBQ (small propane bottle type)
2 liquid camp fuel type lanterns
folding chairs ( I can bring up to 4)
small (18" x 18") folding aluminum table
camping type coffee pot
cooking utensils
Hatchet
long cooking forks for hot dogs or marshmallows
Ice chest (I can just bring a normal one for my needs or a giant one for community needs)

I think that covers it. I also have a liquid fuel 2 burner camp stove but won't bring that unless you think it's needed.

C'ya there,
Josh

p.s. Kim you now have no excuse.... Not a "desert" dive anymore, lol.
Cool!

I'm also leaving my white gas 2 burner stove at home, but bringing my 2 burner propane stove.

It sounds like we'll have plenty of lanterns for wandering around the campsites and the long forks will rock for marshmallows!

The giant ice chest would be a great idea. We never seem to have enough cooler space.

Christian

Hrm, darn, I was kinda looking forward to it being in the Redondo Beach area, as I'll be diving from there. I'm diving with ecodivecenter on the 15th and renting pretty much everything. How long's the actual drive from Redondo to Leo Carrillo? I need to make it back for dinner with some friends, so I may only be able to do a dive or two, but I'd love to go. I also need gear, so should I rent in LA and lug it over?

scc135:
Hrm, darn, I was kinda looking forward to it being in the Redondo Beach area, as I'll be diving from there. I'm diving with ecodivecenter on the 15th and renting pretty much everything. How long's the actual drive from Redondo to Leo Carrillo? I need to make it back for dinner with some friends, so I may only be able to do a dive or two, but I'd love to go. I also need gear, so should I rent in LA and lug it over?
Going north from Redondo Beach, it's just past Malibu.

Depending on traffic, which will be non-existent if you go early on Saturday morning, I'd say it's about a 45 min. drive.

It is a dramatically better location for diving if conditions are good. We've always had a great time at this location since it gets you out of the city and into a State Park setting. I've personally had some fantastic dives here.

You'll have no problem meeting up with your friends for dinner in Redondo.

Hope that helps!

Christian

any gear rental in the area or no?

scc135:
any gear rental in the area or no?
Malibu Divers is the closest shop, and you'll pass it on the way to the beach since they're right on the Pacific Coast Highway (PCH). Their info is in the first post.

You could also probably rent something closer to Redondo (such as http://www.divensurf.com/) if you prefer, and just bring it with you.

If you live by a sport chalet you can rent a complete package including computer and weight integrated bc (usually) for $45, if you pick it up Friday you don't have to return it till they close on Sunday (7pm or 6:30 I think) and it's a "one" day rental.

Back
Top Bottom