Wrinkles March '07 Dive Planning Thread - Catalina Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChickOfTheSea:
Thanks to everyone for making this such a great trip. I enjoyed every minute as always :D Thanks to Josh for being an awesome buddy and fun on our deco stops... :mooner: As always thanks to Christian for organizing the event and threatening to hand out $100's :wink: Thanks Ken and Claudette for the awesome dinner invite... gotta get me some of that port!!! :) Steve/Kalani/Ken... where are the pics!!! I didn't get any... darn camera boo hoo :wink:

Let's just file them under the "too embarrassed to show" file....:( They all came out pretty terrible....I think I'm going to stick to shooting macro...:14:

drbill:
Claudette... now I see why you and Ken led the group to the third mooring can. I almost always approach the Valiant from the stern so I drop down the second can. Hey, it's only a 158' vessel... not that difficult to fin from one end to the other. Oh, that's right... you DIR types use that silly frog kick so you don't stir things up. I just power along the deck until I get to the bow and then drop down.

I now have a new episode of my cable TV show in preparation which includes expeditions to the Valiant and the Suejac to hunt for nudies. Of course I don't find any except the one Spanish shawl that Ken was filming on the Suejac!

1) Unlike you sourdoughs (DrB, c-Man, HB70'sCertGurl) who were certifiable in the dark ages of S.C.U.B.A., I learned to start deep and work my way shallow. Hence, the bow start, and the drop at ball 3.

2) In my semi-learned opinion, when you dive the Valiant there are three things you can always count on: a- Limbaughs on the Starboard Bow (always on the sand, often on the lower hull) b- Mexi's on the Port Bow (always on the hull, sometimes on the deck) and c- Octos at Mid-Ship. This again proved true on both our dives this weekend.

3) I take images. YOU film... :mooner: (tape really, but who's keeping track, Mr. TV man.... Mr. Movie Maker man.... :10: )

Honest Injin - we really did see SIX species on the SueJac on Saturday AM (Hopkins {my first in the park}, Fed Ex, Trilineata, McFarlands, Limbaughs, and that other one.) I'll put up some pix of them later. The park and Valiant were stupid with Nudis this weekend - especially the Janolus in the park and on the platform. I brought all 4 lenses and never took off the Macro. The park was 55 below 50 FSW this weekend, and I think that's FINALLY bringing in the Nudis. The Valiant, dead bottom belly on the sand 98 feet was also 55.

You're the best DrB. You are the custodian of my beloved dive park... the park superintendent! I thought you were gonna peel on the top half of your 7mm, put Kalani's pig sticker in your teeth and swim out and board her when the FreeLance rolled in on Sunday!

Great to see you, as always.

J & J - most excellent dinner on Sat. I have the list o' Ports I'll send over.

Jeannine - you have no idea how much trouble you're getting into. You have been warned.

Ana, Kalani, Steve, CMan, Mark, Chica and all the rest of my SoCal homies (and dorks)... great to see you all and spend some time together. What a weekend. 10 dives in the dubs... I slept pretty well last night.

Ken

Well I managed to make it back on the board by the day after this time! :wink:

It was great to see you all. I love everything about these weekends! The dives, the company, the lunches and dinners out all make for many wonderful memories.

In all of the frenzy of getting things figured out before dinner, I was terrible about calling Bill to let him know what we were doing. So, this is my public apology for my flakey notifications. The good news is that Bill always found us and was able to join in on and greatly contribute to the fun. Next time, we'll give Bill our phone numbers, so that he can track us down! :eyebrow:

I look forward to seeing you all again soon.

Christian

Heck, Ken, I'm not even sure we had depth gauges in the good old days! Talk about a kit that was uncluttered, that was the way we dove... no clips, no dangles, no resistance from BCD's. That was when men were divers and women... well, we just wished they'd be divers!

A big thanks to everyone. Again there was beautiful weather, wonderful warm and supportive scubaboard members, and of course excellent diving. Many special memories have been made diving with the group. And yes, I love the dark side. I have been in the glow after experiencing the trim of a backplate and wing, long hose, and Claudette's canister light. Can't wait to experience it again!

Janene

Pics referenced above.

---
Ken

Shark Baby! We found several of these Swell Shark eggs in the park this weekend. A few of them had baby sharks wiggling around!
75574145.xWbofrFT.jpg

Speaking of babies - Lots of baby Nudis this weekend. Here's a Baby Janolus we found on the swim platform.
75607039.cdWelXx1.jpg

And a baby Trilineata on the swim platform (check another fuzzy baby Janolus in the frame!)
75563594.CTqOOPXU.jpg

And a couple of shots of a baby Hopkins hitching on a Cuke
75564647.rlRMr7P8.jpg

75567689.pCTYM5P9.jpg

Sue Jac TriMiniAta - what's with all the mini-nudi's this weekend??
75603527.pxAoEVQz.jpg

Full size Janolus found as Chica and I negotiated. "Ken, come look at this Octo." "Chica, come look at this Janolus." For the record, Janolus beats Octo.
75563915.Qdd4GNBg.jpg

The Josh & Jen spotted Hopkins on the 'Jac. Thanks for the perfect directions, guys!
75569124.hlNo8vYX.jpg

Abalone we came across on the way back from the Valiant. Their edge always reminds me of the tux I wore to my Sr Prom in the 70's.
75565721.ZQ6Zvath.jpg

Mexichromis family from the Valiant probably not enjoying my bubbles
75604063.3I9KKJkv.jpg

In Good Hands - Limbaughs and eggs from the Starboard sand on the Valiant
75609171.mVlsccxH.jpg

On the Starboard sand, the Nudis sort of walk on stilts. Its so cool. They're not ON the sand, but kind of OVER the sand, going from wacky stilt to stilt - twisting and turning as they hand off from one to another. Here is a Mexi and a Rush Nudi making their way along the stilt bed.
75588172.qBYWOVVG.jpg

75607620.v9Qgk0Ev.jpg

Chica's Coffee Bean - this thing was amazing!
75605976.AOyB71GX.jpg

As always, if you get the red X of death, right click it and select "show Pictures" and the pic should show up. If not, hit f5 and reload the page.

Mo2vation:
1) Unlike you sourdoughs (DrB, c-Man, HB70'sCertGurl) who were certifiable in the dark ages of S.C.U.B.A., I learned to start deep and work my way shallow. Hence, the bow start, and the drop at ball 3.

Ken

I don't know what kind of dive training you received Ken, but I learned to start at the surface and then descend! Just teasing ya!

I'm heading to the mainland tomorrow for a talk at the Pacific Wilderness Dive Club, then a visit with Debbie and Derek Karimoto and a few days at dive buddy Heather's new home in Carlsbad.

Before I leave, I plan to complete the next two episodes in my cable TV series "Dive Dry with Dr. Bill." One will feature the Avalon Harbor Clean-up on Feb 24th, the other dives from March 03-11 including the ScubaBoard dives last weekend. I'd be happy to send a DVD copy of these two episodes to anyone willing to part with $10 to cover costs, etc. PM me if you're interested.

Janene:
And yes, I love the dark side. I have been in the glow after experiencing the trim of a backplate and wing, long hose, and Claudette's canister light...

Janene

Ah yes, the Dark Side is well lit...

My god Ken! Those photos are freaking AMAZING!!!! Thanks for sharing with those of us whose eyesight precludes them from being able to see those magnificent creatures.

drbill:
I don't know what kind of dive training you received Ken, but I learned to start at the surface and then descend! Just teasing ya!

I'm heading to the mainland tomorrow for a talk at the Pacific Wilderness Dive Club, then a visit with Debbie and Derek Karimoto and a few days at dive buddy Heather's new home in Carlsbad.

Before I leave, I plan to complete the next two episodes in my cable TV series "Dive Dry with Dr. Bill." One will feature the Avalon Harbor Clean-up on Feb 24th, the other dives from March 03-11 including the ScubaBoard dives last weekend. I'd be happy to send a DVD copy of these two episodes to anyone willing to part with $10 to cover costs, etc. PM me if you're interested.

I'll PM ya.

---
Ken

PS: if any of my images would serve a useful purpose in any of your productions, just send me a note and I'll get you the files to use. My shots are always your shots, DrB.

K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom