Wrist Mount for Sling Spear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jafo19D

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm going to be hunting lionfish with my sling spear and have a virgin wrist mount for my GP10. Dumb question but is it better to mount it on the shooting hand or the other?

On your head./mask makes much more sense.
I thought about it but I want to be able to turn the camera on and off because of battery concerns plus I don't want to mess with the mask. And I don't trust a head harness.

....hunting lionfish with my sling spear
There are many types of "sling spear' setups,,,,,But I'm just going to guess that it's a Zookeeper sling spear since you wrote 'lionfish'.

As @johndiver999 said above, neither wrist is ideal due to camera shake. But if you had to make a choice on the ZK spear, then you want to mount the camera on the same hand that you loop the rubberband around your thumb since it will be the most stable. Some divers also use the GoPro shoulder mount which is more solid than a head strap. I also have used a very cheap 8 inch tall tripod and put it on the sand 1st and capture the moment, pick up the cam and move to the next target. Very cheap and works great if you rinse it with fresh water.

Please post up a video link here when you try it.

I thought about it but I want to be able to turn the camera on and off because of battery concerns plus I don't want to mess with the mask. And I don't trust a head harness.
You can turn it on and off while on your head. I have a goro 10 i think and I just need to stop breathing, listen closely and press the top button. You learn to distinguish the sound of it shutting down versus starting to film. Sometimes I forget if the camera is on or off, but generally the on/off status is just one more piece of information I am juggling during a dive.

If you forget, you check and listen. If it seems like an important shot, I will often double check by shutting it on and off, which is not optimal, but should provide reassurance the camera is rolling when you want to make sure.

There are many types of "sling spear' setups,,,,,But I'm just going to guess that it's a Zookeeper sling spear since you wrote 'lionfish'.

As @johndiver999 said above, neither wrist is ideal due to camera shake. But if you had to make a choice on the ZK spear, then you want to mount the camera on the same hand that you loop the rubberband around your thumb since it will be the most stable. Some divers also use the GoPro shoulder mount which is more solid than a head strap. I also have used a very cheap 8 inch tall tripod and put it on the sand 1st and capture the moment, pick up the cam and move to the next target. Very cheap and works great if you rinse it with fresh water.

My lionfish pole spear is from Mako

I followed your advice and here's a shot I took with it mounted on my firing hand. Worked great and I might ditch my selfie stick for this. Only thing I didnt like is that it got entangled in my regs when taking off my gear in the water against the rocks in a rough shore exit.

.... with it mounted on my firing hand.
WOW, that was much more stable than I expected. It's a nice setup and everyone makes small adjustments to their gear. Congrats on harvesting the Lionfish !!

I followed your advice and here's a shot I took with it mounted on my firing hand. Worked great and I might ditch my selfie stick for this. Only thing I didnt like is that it got entangled in my regs when taking off my gear in the water against the rocks in a rough shore exit.

Liked and subscribed to your channel :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom