Wrist vs AI for first computer.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok after reading all this now I want to trade my Vyper 2 and get a Vytec DS. You guys are making me spend money, Damm!

Ok after reading all this now I want to trade my Vyper 2 and get a Vytec DS. You guys are making me spend money, Damm!

It's all an evil plot perpetrated by the military-industrial-scuba complex!

Yeah temptation is the devils game, I will say I have spent alot of money this year on gear. It could have cost me more had it not been for the great reviews and posts I read here. Its hard when you seek an honest opinion about products you know nothing about, and given scuba isin't the cheapest sport, members here have helped me save money. Now I have a more to spend on gear....Yeehawwww....

Hi AZ,
I'm a AI wireless diver myself I have a Oceanic VT3 that my wife now uses and an Atom 2.0.
I keep a console in my reg bag just in case but have never had to attach it.
If I'm diving without my wife I will use both computers to have a backup.
If my wife is diving with me and my computer were to fail I'd figure a safe or worse case from my wifes computer and then dive tables with the console the rest of the day.
So having a computer you can dive without analog gauges as a backup but unless you are willing to call it a day should the computer you will need a backup plan.
Thanks RAWalker,

Sounds good! I already have a Mares Mission console SPG and DG, I can either use these as a back-up or if I choose non AI I can just keep my Mares hooked up, correct?

Looking at TravisD's response I can maybe get into this a little cheaper than expected, however, just using my current gauge setup as a back-up might be best in the long run.

I noticed you are in Mesa, I'm in Phoenix, did your purchase your computers locally?

I noticed there is a dive shop out in Mesa called Saguaro Dive and Sports, seems like they have a large selection of manufacturers, are you familiar with them? I think they're off Mesa Dr. and US 60 area. I would like to compare all the computer mentioned in this thread at one place and then make a selection.

Thanks again!

Is LiesurePro the best for comparing all the different computer available? Or, has everyone purchased from their LDS?
I did look at the Cobra, seems liek a pretty decent buy with good features.

Leisure Pro is about the only place you can buy suunto computers online, but there are plenty of other online retailers for the other brands.

Scubatoys, Scuba.com and Diverightinscuba are all online retailers and are here in scubaboard so you get a nice little discount being a board member. I would call them and see what they can do for you.

I have a cobra which I bought from my LDS and highly recommend it. I would buy the regular cobra over the cobra2 and use a separate compass, but that's just me!

Good luck and dive safely!

Wys

Thanks Wys.....I'll check out the links! I just have to decide on AI vs not and wrist vs not.

Thanks for the warning.....they are so much cheaper online....I just left the dive shop and noticed their price for the Cobra was about $300 higher than LP.

I dive with two computers (both nitrox compatible). I wear my primary on my right wrist and keep my back-up in my BC pocket on a reel. I have had my primary crap out before, and it was good to have a second one to keep me from sitting out the rest of the dive day.

I like the convenience of the wrist computer because it is very easy to look at when needed and easy to transport. I don't have to worry about disconnecting a brick to log my dives. I have a mini SPG that I clip to my chest strap. It's very convenient to check everything with my gear configurations and I am quite streamlined to avoid drag in the water. I have seen too many divers with a console left dangling which acts like a wrecking ball on the reef. If you chose a console, get a good reel or clip to secure it.

Good luck in finding the computer for you and safe diving.

Back
Top Bottom