Wrist vs AI for first computer.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does anyone have some input about Mares computers? They seem to have several models reasonably priced, is there a problem with quality? All wrist models.

Mares M2 $199, Mares Puck wrist $279 and Nemo $299.....right in the same price range as Suunto Gekko $273, Suunto Mosquito $314, Suunto Vyper $359 and Aeris XR 1 NX, $319.

Leisure Pro is about the only place you can buy suunto computers online, but there are plenty of other online retailers for the other brands.

Scubatoys, Scuba.com and Diverightinscuba are all online retailers and are here in scubaboard so you get a nice little discount being a board member. I would call them and see what they can do for you.

I have a cobra which I bought from my LDS and highly recommend it. I would buy the regular cobra over the cobra2 and use a separate compass, but that's just me!

Good luck and dive safely!

Wys
Do you know what kind of discounts are typical for the links? They all pretty much mirror LP prices.

10% usually

Hello Everyone,

I've been looking at computers and I would like to get everyones opinions on wrist vs AI.

What are the pros and cons of each?

Are there types of diving where you would prefer one over the other? Personally I don't ever see myself diving in cold water though.

As far as computers go I would like to know not only what you recommend but also what you wouldn't recommend.

Also, I do need NITROX compatible. I'm going on a dive trip toward the end of the month and would like to purchase something within the next week so as to have time to do a local check out dive with it.

One more thing, user friendly is important, I'm not the one for spending hours reading through a manual or having to call tech support in order to do set-up....but the ability to sync with my laptop is a feature I like.

Thanks to everyone for any and all responses.

You might want to check the following two dive computers

Aeris ATMOS AI

Aeris Atmos AI Air Integrated Computer Console, With Compass & Quick Disconnect from LeisurePro.com

Aeris Elite T3

Aeris Elite Hoseless Wrist Computer & Transmitter from LeisurePro.com

Before anyone suggests that I posted a link that is not for the T3, the link is for the T3 despite the title.

The T3 here is a great deal. I bought the T3 and the retractor for it (just retractor no compass mount). I then bought a Suunto SK7 compass which I plan to mount in a Deep Sea Supply bungee wrist mount. This makes it wasy to slip on over my dry suit and keeps the compas right where I need it.

I have used the Aeris ATMOS AI for 4 years and have had not problems whatsoever.

I just purchased the T3 but have heard good reports about it.

I actually think it is easier to read than its sister computer the Oceanic VT3.

Thanks to everyone for your helpful replies!

It came down to Suunto Vyper....so I thought....but then I went down to a LDS and spent a couple of hours asking questions and getting good answers....It then came down to Cobra 2 and Wisdom 2....LDS said he had complaints about the e/compass on the Cobra 2 so I went with the Wisdom 2...I bought two of them and the LDS matched LP pricing...great deal....I'll certainly be back to this LDS....they were extremely helpful.

The wisdom 2 was also reccomended by another LDS I visited a couple of months ago, so far I find it easy to read and the software makes it very easy to set up.....I'll be diving with it all next week........hopefully I'll have good reports!

Thanks again!

AZ. I believe it all depends on what kind of diver you are. I have a heavy duty "brass and glass" spg. On my wrist I have a bottom timer, it only tells me how deep I am and how long Ive been under (ok it also tells me the temp, but doesn't tell me NDL) I also have a back up computer on my wrist (if recreational dives then left in computer mode as a sanity check, if something a bit more challenging then its set to gauge mode)

If you are the type of person that just wants to splash around in 30' of water once or twice a year with color coordinated gear, and not have to really think about what you're doing, then a console AI computer is probably the best bet.

If you want to use your brain as the primary computer and use the electronics for back up and just hard data, get an spg and a simple wrist mounted computer.

It seems to me most computer owners upgrade every couple of years or so to the newest and slickest computer. I still have my old pressure gauge, the new ones don't do anything this one doesn't. I still use my old B/T, ok the newer computers might take faster sample rates, but that doesn't mean much to me as I don't log the second by second dive profiles on my computer anyhow...

Back
Top Bottom