Wrist vs. console computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used a Sherwood console for many years.
It never bothered me to use it.

I used a Sherwood console for many years.
It never bothered me to use it.

Perhaps IT was using you....perhaps, IT was a "gift" from Space Aliens...SPACE ALIENS..... who were trying to disintegrate your mind......without bothering you too much....stuff happens.

Started with a console moved to a wrist AI. Like the convenience of the wrist and use the console as a backup. Like em both.

I, too, started with a console.

I have used a wrist mounted AI computer for years and love it. I can see my depth, gas and NDL info at a glance and glance at it often. It's on a bungee mount, so no problem donning and doffing. (I also have a brass & glass SPG clipped to my left waist D-ring more ultra reliability for gas status.)

I also started with console but not with computer.
Most divers would have started with console because it is the most common equipment for the dive operator to provide for beginner course. Nothing to be misplaced or left behind or lost.
However, computer is different, very few operators would have it on the console. I can think of several reasons: initial cost, risk of damage, rental charges(only one but not 2), maintaining and the use of computer is still not yet regarded as absolute necessary. Any timing device will do. Might have to change this approach.

Personal preference. But I have never ever packed my computer in my checked bag!

I have been diving since the mid 1990s. Almost every computer that I have had has been a console mount with my last one being an Oceanic ProPlus 3.

I have recently replaced it with a wrist mount (a Perdix AI), but I have unfortunately not had a chance to go diving since I bought the Perdix. I did briefly have a wrist mount computer around 2003.

My following comments are based on that experience. They are my opinion and nothing else, so take them with a grain of salt.

IMHO, both console and wrist mount have advantages and disadvantages.
One of the big advantages of a console is that I absolutely know that even if I find myself rushed, I will never jump in the water with my computer still on the boat. Consoles such as the Oceanic ProPlus series have large easy to read numbers. Consoles are "connected" to the 1st stage and will never lose contact with the 1st stage. You know that unless the computer has failed, that when you look at it the info will be there.

The big draw back of a console model is that if you forget to clip it onto your BCD, then it will dangle and possibly drag along the reef. The quick, easy & cheap fix for this is to buy a small retractor and the clip it onto your BCD. A retractor will allow you to pull out your computer to check it and then when you let go of it, it will tuck up tightly against you and not drag.

There are a couple big advantages of wrist mount dive computers. The most obvious is probably location. I will always know where my wrist is and I can not foresee a situation in which I would be dragging my wrist along the coral that does not include a sudden catastrophic medical emergency. A wrist mount can be positioned, as someone mentioned above so that it is always visible much like a dashboard. Modern wrist mount computers have very easy to read screens and some (such as the Perdix AI) have displays that can be customized to best suit your needs.

They are not however without their drawbacks. During the brief timeframe when I used a wrist mount dive computer, I was struck by how often when I looked at it I would get a message indicating that the signal was lost and it was searching for the signal. This was usually remedied in a few seconds, but during that period, I simply had to wait for the computer & transmitter to sort themselves out. Keep in mind that this was about 15 years ago. Connectivity may be much better today.

Another drawback is the potential that if rushed, it gets overlooked and is left on the boat. For me, by the time I take my next dive trip, will will have been over two years since my last one. I can see myself being slower to get prepped than I am when I am diving somewhat regularly. Another drawback, although a minor one is that it is a good idea to have some sort of redundancy in how you wear it. Whether that is dual straps or bungee cords like on the Perdix or something as simple as a "NATO Strap", it is a good idea to not rely on just typical watch straps.
For the type of diving that I do, a Perdix AI is overkill. I do not need it and I will never exploit the vast majority of its capabilities. To be honest, if the Peregrine had been available when I bought the Perdix, I probably would have gotten it instead. I do like AI though, so I still might have bought the Perdix if for no other reason than to get the AI.

My OW instructor tried to talk me into a console mainly because he would have made more profit off of it. I'm glad I listened to others and my own preferences. I've worn a watch since I was in 1st grade. A wrist computer just made more sense to me. That was 17 yrs ago. I still have that computer, It's a student computer now along with two other wrist styles I have for them. I use Shearwaters. 2 Perdixes and a Predator. All are wrist mount. I'm another who likes to have a "dashboard" in front of me. My students of course also tend to go wrist. Usually, they can spend less money and get what they need.
A wrist mount does require you to keep better track of it than a console but, it's often cheaper, less bulky, and in certain situations more user-friendly. On ascents when I have my left hand controlling the inflator, my right has a computer that I can track info on. Rather than trying to hold the inflator while looking at the console that I have to hold with my right hand across my body. If I need that hand for something I have to let go of the console.

This is probably frowned upon, but, when I practice with a hand-held backup light I clip it to my bungied gauges. Where I'm diving, I can't just go down and get it.

+1 for the wrist.

Back
Top Bottom