Wrist vs. console computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SlyStrat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Which do you prefer and why?

As I see it, here are the tradeoffs.

The console computer with AI (Air Integration) is easiest to don and doff, maintain, and usually costs less but is less convenient to read. Wrist mounted is much easier to glance at during the dive, but you have to deal with a pressure transmitter and strapping it to your arm and taking it off for each dive. The pressure transmitter introduces another battery to check and another failure point.

It depends on the diving you are doing. Frequent checking the computer for reserve gas, depth, and NDL/decompression argues in favor of wrist mount. Diving with a boat load of people in great visibility and following a guide requires less frequent checks.

I much prefer the wrist. I always know where my wrist is.
I often carry a two-handed camera; my wrist is easy to see.

Wrist for me. A quick glance is so easy. Less bulk. Always had plenty of time to take it off briefly to doff/don a wetsuit top.

I'm going to a dive shop now to check it all out.

Wrist mounted. That is all I will use. Ever. First and foremost it is accessible and right in front of my face. That is absolutely critical to me. Secondary to this it reduces clutter on my kit. Even though I use an AI computer I also have a backup SPG. However, it is on a short hose clipped off to my left hip. It is completely out of the way and streamlined during the dive but is accessible if I have an AI failure. More times than I can count I've seen divers with consoles just hanging loose or flopping in the current. It causes drag and is a snag/entanglement hazard.

I actually dive with two wrist mounted computers. My backup is on my left and my primary AI integrated on my right.

I dive with a computer on each wrist....and a compass on one.

Hi @SlyStrat

It really comes down to personal choice, what are you diving now?

For eight years, I dived a hosed AI computer. It ran from the left side and was attached to my right chest D-ring. It was streamlined, out of the way, and I could generally see it by just looking down or giving it a slight twist. My daughter still dives that computer, and loves it.

For the last 11 years I have dived a wrist mounted AI computer. As others have said, it is great having all of your information on your wrist. I dived a wrist mounted non-AI backup computer for 9 years and switched to a second AI computer almost two years ago. Both AI computers run off the same transmitter on the right side. I have an SPG from the left side, running to my left chest D ring, easy to see. I have a perfectly good compass on one of my computers, but, still have a wrist mounted compass, because I like it.

I have only used a backup computer and/or backup SPG on 11 of 1529 dives, but, you never know :)

You might find this of interest How do you dive?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom