Wrist vs. console computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use mine for spearfishing also, so i need an apnea + scuba wrist mount computer. No AI but my spg works so i dont feel like i need it. It would be nice to have AI but i don't think its worth the extra $$ for me.

My computer is a mares smart, which works pretty well for its low cost, the only annoying thing is that it locks out scuba for 24hr after being used in apnea mode. At least it is easy to clear.

I now use an AI wrist mount because it is always easy to access, I don't have to crane my neck to see it, and it does away with a hose. If your gauge is easy to see you'll check it more often.

So far I have never forgotten my console and have never had the air pressure be lost.

So far I have never forgotten my console and have never had the air pressure be lost.
I can say the same, just worded slightly differently.

So far I have never forgotten my wrist mount AI computer and have never had the air pressure be lost.

I’ve used both in the past. Started with a console, then moved to wrist mount. No looking back from that point. I always know where my wrist is, and can have immediate access to my info without occupying a hand.

I own an Oceanic Pro Plus 3 AI console. Big numbers no issues.
My next will be an "all the time" watch computer most likely something like a Garmin Mk3 AI or the Shearwater Teric AI. The console will always be there as redundancy.
On that last note, for you wrist computer guys, do you still have a hosed SPG?

for you wrist computer guys, do you still have a hosed SPG?
Nope. "Naked" SPG clipped to the left hip, but then later went hoseless (transmitter).

I wear my console clipped to my chest, and use it as a gauge, for fitting through tight crevices

364 26232328_1795887217119559_5507116560859510058_oa.jpg

and then when I cant fit through the same crevices on the way back for some reason I unclip it

Gauge, get it

Console

The biggest reason is that I am a firefighter and have a deeply ingrained habit of checking my air regularly from a gauge attached to my right shoulder strap. Mine is not floating freely, but rather tightly attached to the strap with just enough flexibility to flip it up to read it. No sense messing with muscle memory.

Other reasons include I prefer a bigger, easier to read screen, having leaned on a little puck type that was hard to see. Also, I don't wear a watch normally, so there is no muscle memory there.

Back
Top Bottom