Writing a book for the recreational diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We are at Berkeley at the same time. I didn't know him well, but we were "motorcycle waving at each other" friends 'cause we both had British bikes (Dunstall Norton for me, BSA for him - if I remember right).

I have been a professional writer of educational materials for over 20 years. It's a lot more challenging to become a good writer than readers tend to imagine. As noted by some of the respondents above, the more you write the better you get at it; it's also true that the more you read the better a writer you become. This is because you begin to notice not so much what works, but rather what doesn't work. When I mentor new writers, one insight I share is that the writing should be "transparent." What I mean is that the reader shouldn't notice the writing at all--it should almost be as if the minds of the writer and the reader are linked. When a reader notices the writing, it's most often because s/he has to re-read a part of it multiple times to try to work out just what the writer is trying to say. This is an indication of poor writing that needs good editorial intervention.

For writers who have not yet become published authors, it's best to contract with an independent editor, or even a ghost writer, rather than to save on that expense and produce a work whose readability suffers. There are several contributors here on Scubaboard who have publshed their own work. I can easily tell which are professional writers and which are just writers with something they want to say. The first group really know how to communicate something the reader wants to learn, and these writers value the parternship between the reader and the writer; the second group like to hear themselves talk/see their words in print. Make sure that your motives are of the first sort and not the second. When you're convinced that there is a readership for what you have to offer, get editorial help. It's an investment well worth making if you're serious about writing.

I have published three books, #3 being "The Scuba Snobs Guide to Diving Etiquette" on which there are 2 threads here on scubaboard. I am happy to share with you what I have learned. First, unless you have an agent, your best route is a "self publishing house." It will cost you from $500 to $1000 to get your manuscript to final form, including cover design, etc. Most publishing companies will then offer you promotional services for a fee, and I frankly am not impressed with their services as to marketing, but they are good at assisting with production design. You will be your own editor and proof reader, so if you make a mistake it will be there for the world to see. As to content and format, there are about 1800 books on scuba diving out there in the market, including PADI SSI and etc. manuals, plus guide books, and independent how to books. If you get on amazon, books, and search scuba diving you will get them all listed, and you can review what is out there. There isn't very much that hasn't been done. Finally, I will say that e-books are the thing now. Presently about 1 in 5 sales of books is an an e-book, and that market share will grow, so you need a publisher who will put you book in both Kindle and Nook book format and make it available. Accordingly, I would NOT go with amazon or barnes and noble as publisher. You want a paper book you can sign at appearances and send to friends, and e-book in all formats.
Most self publishing houses will take care of copyright issues, or you can hire a lawyer to do it, but that is not necessary.
As to the writing, each writer is unique in approach. The key is to write- put words on the page, and then massage them, rearrange them and order them to make the content and style better and better until someone who reads it tells you "this is good." Have 2 or more people read and comment as you go. I have a writing teacher wife and co-author and dive buddy who is our grammar and verb tense person. You need one of those too.
Good luck with your project. Know that the writing of the book is the beginning- the easy part. Promotion of it and sales is the hard part. If you want to get your book in the mainstream of scuba books that sell, the top 100 say, then you need to invest some money, 5000 to 10000 or more, in magazine ads, website development ( see for example scubasnobs.com ) and the like. Private message me or email me at dennis@scubasnobs.com if you'd like to discuss this area in more detail.
DivemasterDennis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom