WtF: The Decline in Scuba Participation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The YMCA certainly wasn't selling junkets to Roatan -- nor was NAUI,
Well, the oft-mentioned History of NAUI has at least a partial explanation for both. Each made critical decisions made back in the day about their approaches to attracting students.

YMCA: It should go without saying, first of all, that the YMCA is not really a commercial enterprise like a dive shop, so it would never be interested in sponsoring travel, even if they thought it was a good idea. According to the History of NAUI, the YMCA decided to focus their instruction through dive clubs, with the idea that dive club activities would create a need for new students. That didn't happen. The YMCA program eventually ended.

NAUI: NAUI was formed by the people who had led the Los Angeles program, a taxpayer-supported organization. When they wanted to go nationwide, they could not so so with taxpayer funding, but they wanted to stay non-profit. That was a problem. In the early years they relied heavily upon the backing of a skin diving magazine to replace the tax-based funding. They had their headquarters in the magazine's office building. When that source was sold and went away, they floundered. One year they survived on a large loan from Bill High, who later created a tank inspection company. They decided that the best way to attract students and funding was through universities. If students could simply select a scuba course instead of some other physical education course and thus pay for the class using tuition money they would have spent anyway, things should work out. They didn't. One critical year (as will be explained later), they decided the idea of going national was not working, and they decided to pull back and focus on California. Reflecting on it in the History of NAUI, the founders saw their earlier approach to funding and attracting students as a tactical error.

Others: When NAUI decided to pull back and concentrate on California, they canceled a major instructor training session scheduled for Chicago. This infuriated the Chicago NAUI group, so they logically created their own agency--PADI. Seeing that the NAUI funding model was not working, they looked for another approach. At about the same time a skin diving (as it was then usually called) retail association, the National Association of Skin Diving Stores (NASDS) came up with a different approach. The writing does not clearly identify which happened first, but both PADI and NASDS decided that the only way scuba instruction could survive was to link it with retail sales. NASDS changed the last word of its name from "stores" to "schools," and both organizations made scuba instruction a part of the retail skin diving market. The idea was that by interlocking them, each supported the other. NASDS is now SSI, as a result of first a merger and then a buyout of the SSI ownership.

The equivalent of Jacques Cousteau exists to a surprising degree today, but those episodes are buried in the depths of cable programing. Back in the day, you essentially had a choice of 3 channels--2, actually, for many people. (The higher the number of the channel, the worse the coverage; when station numbers first came out, there was a rumor that the government would claim all the good, low number ones, so ABC took a chance and went for a higher numbers, figuring that after the government acted, they would actually be the lowest. It didn't work out as they hoped.)

Although I was a fan of Sea Hunt, I never saw an episode of Jacques Cousteau because I was in a fringe reception area that did not usually get that channel. My grandparents could sometimes get it, and I would go there in the hope it would come in so I could see an episode of Zorro, but I never saw Cousteau.

We need another Jacques C. and another Mike Nelson!

There are hundreds of figures like them, all over cable and streaming media, in dozens of different adventure sports, of which scuba diving is now but one. In other words, what John said.

There are hundreds of figures like them, all over cable and streaming media, in dozens of different adventure sports, of which scuba diving is now but one. In other words, what John said.
LOL, so true. I just got done watching a couple on Netflix. Unfortunately, none have the same captivating celebrity of Jacques. As John properly said; different time and different way we all get our information.

LOL, so true. I just got done watching a couple on Netflix. Unfortunately, none have the same captivating celebrity of Jacques. As John properly said; different time and different way we all get our information.
I think we have so many entertainment options and so many people vying to step into the shoes of JYC, it gets diluted with no one rising to the top. So those who may be doing a wonderful job don't achieve critical mass in terms of exposure due to the dilution.

As much as I loved Cousteau shows, as a kid; I couldn’t quite take the old geezer, later — looked too much like a Slim Jim in a Speedo and watch cap . . .

I was either busy in college or living in Europe during the heyday of Nelson and Cousteau on TV, so never really saw them. My first attraction to scuba came earlier from the 1951 movie The Frogmen. The interest was nudged along first by taking a college PhysEd class to learn scuba (double-hose, never got certified), then by living across the road from one of the Italian Frogmen - Roberto Frassetto - and then by working (in Italy) with the guy who invented the wetsuit, Hugh Bradner.

This may not be widespread and possibly just anecdotal, but I see divers in my area sometimes being poor ambassadors for the sport. I have seen excited kids and families asking questions to divers at lakes, beaches etc. get some pretty crappy answers about local diving.

instead of telling them how great being underwater is regardless of the scenery/animal life, they get the it’s cold, not much to see, it’s not like the Caribbean type answers. They make it seem like you have to go through BUD/S in Coronado to be able to float around in a cove in NE. I think it is an ego thing to make diving seem like an elite accomplishment but, the attitude definitely puts people off. I try to let people know how beautiful NE waters are in a very different way than warmer places, and kids love to hear that with patience and a little broken open mussel you can pet a fish.

if you wanted to promote hiking in Yellowstone, you are not going to harp on bear attacks and blisters over the benefits of getting out there and seeing the place up close.
That's terrible. How can you not want to tell the excited little kids about all the cool stuff you saw? I don't care how much of a big shot you are; no one else will ever be as interested in you as those kids when you tell them what's down there.

It does seem like there's an attitude among many that being willing to work hard at your hobbies and endure unpleasantness is somehow morally admirable. Even in this thread (not the OP), I'm seeing a bit of snark directed toward young people who aren't willing to make sacrifices for the sport, which... why do they owe us that again?

I didn't get into diving until my mid-thirties because I couldn't afford it until then. Had I been able to afford it, though, I might have encountered any number of other barriers. For example, divers and dive boats are awfully fond of early mornings, and I never was. It wasn't laziness; young people in general and some in particular, like me, just aren't wired to fall asleep early enough to get up early without being sleep-deprived. It's easier for me now, but when I was already missing out on needed sleep due to work and school, why should I have made the problem worse by getting up even earlier on my days off?

I also find that, as I get older, I'm better able to enjoy anticipation and memory. The "work" of going to get my tank filled, booking a boat or making arrangements with friends for a beach dive, getting to the site, gearing up, then doing that all in reverse and cleaning my gear, charging all the batteries, logging the dive, going through, editing, posting my pictures... all of that kind of becomes part of the fun, too. Not quite as intensely fun as coming face-to-snout with a shark underwater, but still enjoyable. It would be hard to justify all that time if it weren't.

That's terrible. How can you not want to tell the excited little kids about all the cool stuff you saw? I don't care how much of a big shot you are; no one else will ever be as interested in you as those kids when you tell them what's down there.

If I'm at a dive site with a lot of foot traffic and people talk to me, my dive buddy has to drag me away or we'll never get in the water!

Back
Top Bottom