WV diver new to board

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AmyinWV

Reaction score
Hello Fellow Divers,

I am excited to join the Scuba Board. I have read some great postings by other enthusiastic members. It is very encouraging. My husband and I dive on every possible given opportunity. We have a 27' open-hull boat, which makes it much easier. We are always looking for divers to tag-along. We visit Summersville Lake quite a bit in the summer.

My husband is OW and I am AOW. I plan to start my Dive Master this fall. We cannot wait to get our boat in the water this year. Although I am planning a dry-suit dive here shortly.

The dive club is coming along nicely. We have, thus far, met some great divers, and hope to meet more yet. I will post again when our next meeting is planned.

Oh, and if anyone diving Summersville Lake in late summer from the winter boat ramp found a Blue Tang Steel w/ point in a neoprene sheath I would appreciate the heads up. My husband was really ticked, I guess I left it on the running board when I was yanking off my wet suit. OOPS!!!

Happy Diving All, Amy

Welcome Amy,

If you are intrested check out the growing thread on the Rawlings trip we are planning for the end of the month. I live in VA right now and am moving to MD here shortly but will still be close. Hope to see you soon.

Glad you found us! This is a great place to spend your SI, but watch out, it's addictive!

A diver with a boat... you are lucky! As CR said, we've got a wee little gathering happening at Lake Rawlings on the 30th, come and make it to the party!

Hey CR. thanks for the invite, but the timing is bad for us. My husband pulls bounce-back shifts all through the weekend so he can have 3 days straight off (Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday). He usually does this shift during the summer so we have better diving days. All the boats and crazy lake traffic during the weekends tends to lend to some pretty bad viz. So we prefer to go during the week.

So just a bit of info for anyone else out there, our planned dives (Southern WV Dive Club) will likely be mid-week. Luckily this also works for some of our members. We will be planning some dives for Summersville Lake during this Wednesday's scheduled meeting.

I cannot believe how quickly the water is warming up. I have been in the Greenbrier River last week (about 60*) then this week and it was about 70*, we were roasting! I could not believe it. So with this good news, I am hoping the lakes are coming along as nicely.

Amy

Oh, but I did plan on letting the other members of the dive club aware of the Lake Rawlings dive on the 30th. I even sent away for some brocures to show them. I was hoping we could plan a get-away for sometime soon.

Thanks, Amy

Let me know when.... Also I am working on some details for mt. storm and milbrook in the not to distant future

AmyinWV:
Hello Fellow Divers,

We have a 27' open-hull boat, which makes it much easier. We are always looking for divers to tag-along. We visit Summersville Lake quite a bit in the summer.

Happy Diving All, Amy

Amy, welcome to Scubaboard, glad to see another WV diver.

I would be happy to tag along for some Summerville Lake diving. Would like to get the tour of the lake. I dove there last summer with Sarges.

How is the Greenbriar River for diving?

We can be found most weekends at Mount Storm, if you decide to head up North let us know.

Mike

Hello Mike,

Actaully, we have several divers in this area. I have a list of about 70 people.

I have not dove the Greenbrier River before, but some of our dive buddies here in town have (and I intend to this summer). They say there are some good spots and cool holes to see.

I will give everybody a heads up as to when we plan to hit Summersville. We do our planning Wednesday.

Also, I have heard that Mt. Storm has pretty low viz and the lake itself is somewhat uneventful.

Hey Mike, did you notice we share a birthday? :party2:

Amy

AmyinWV:
Hey Mike, did you notice we share a birthday? :party2:

Amy

That is pretty cool, explains the attraction to water thing :cake:

I spent my last two birthdays diving in the Bahamas, that was a great gift.

The vis is not that good at the "Storm" and there is not a whole lot to see or do, but the water is warm and the access is easy and there is usually many other divers to chat with.

I view all the dives as training/fun dives, and am usually helping out with OW checkout dives, which can be rewarding and a challenge at the same time.

A couple things about low vis, one it really make you appreciate the good vis and two it does make you a better diver as far as navigation skills and buoyancy control go.

Hope to get the chance to dive together and maybe even do an Ides of March dive.

Mike

Amy,
Let me know what you work out during your planning. If it would be ok, we can drag along the motley crew that is going to rawlings and meet everyone. Not entirely sure where you are but I am only about 30 min from Charles Town on the VA side of the border, and would be happy to go dive most weekends :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom