WWGuy's Trip Report & Video - Winter 2015/2016

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wwguy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
We've been home for a couple of weeks now. I thought I probably ought to share a trip report and video after throwing out a few teasers in Dee's earlier thread. (Hint: You can skip to the end now for the video if you don't want to read the rest of my report.)

We were on the island for 3 weeks, from Dec 19 through Jan 7th, along with another couple that had also accompanied us in 2012. It was our 13th trip to Bonaire in 19 years, and our 26th through 28th overall weeks on the island. It was also our 7th consecutive year of enjoying 3 weeks on Bonaire over the Christmas and New Year holidays. We've previously also enjoyed visits during February, May, June, August, and September. If it's not obvious, we're comfortable on the island. It fits our personalities, pace, and tastes.

We flew the Saturday Delta flight from Atlanta, just as we've done on our previous 8 trips. Coming from Idaho this means staying overnight in Atlanta going each way, but we think it's worth the extra time and expense to avoid potential winter weather issues etc. We also like that Delta continues to fly the 757 to Bonaire vs. United's 737 planes. The 757 is larger, has more roomy bulkhead and exit row seats, and offers economy class lavatories at both front and rear of the plane. It also has more first class seats, which increases the odds that Delta frequent flyers (like me) might be lucky enough to receive complimentary upgrades.

Once again we rented our truck from Poppy at Telerin. As with previous Telerin rentals the price was great, the trucks were well-worn but functional, and Poppy was quick to respond to any questions or issues etc. As we've also done previously we paid for the truck via American Express and declined Telerin's CDW policy in favor of the $24.95 Amex Premium Car Rental Protection policy. It's nice to see that fuel prices have finally dropped on the island. For several years unleaded gasoline prices were fixed at $1.28/liter and now the price is $0.95/liter.

For something new we stayed at one of the Crown Ridge villas in the Sabadeco area. These are the oceanfront villas between Andrea 1 and Andrea 2 dive sites. Our particular villa was directly in front of Andrea 1 entry point and the steps from villa to shore made for an easily accessible house reef. I have to admit though that Andrea 1 is a much less interesting house reef than what we've been enjoying at The Cliff in front of Beachcomber Villas for the past 5 years or so. Despite my best efforts I just couldn't locate anything extra-special or otherwise notable during my dives at Andrea 1.

We picked up take-away pizza from Rumrunner's Pizza Temple one night and ate burgers in town while waiting to depart on our last day. Otherwise we cooked all of our meals in our villa. The kitchen was large and well-equipped, we had a nice gas BBQ, and the seaside ambience was enchanting. Grocery prices are slightly higher than at home, but I think this mostly reflects the incremental cost of shipping food to the island. I kind of have to laugh a little at how some folks go out to eat every night because "we don't cook on vacation" while some others lament the high price of groceries. I guess we fall somewhere into the middle demographically.

IMHO diving conditions were below average (whatever that is) compared to our previous Bonaire trips. The wind had been higher than normal in the week preceding our trip and continued for our first 2 weeks. We also experienced a week or so of rainy weather that was much-welcomed topside. The combination of wind, rain, and ocean currents reduced visibility to 50' to 60' or so, water temps were around 77 degrees, and some interesting waves came in from the south at some of the far southern and northern dive sites. On our last week (the first week of 2016) ocean conditions returned to what we think of as normal for this time of year.

One interesting upside of the weather was that waves were coming in to western shores at an angle from the south. This meant that the area from Tolo north past BOPEC to Candyland was getting significant afternoon waves that were discouraging divers from entering. But we found that the NW tip of the island was protecting Nukove from these waves and entry there was easy. Most amazingly, on the day we visited we were the only other truck on that remote section of road. You can see our entry and exit for that dive in the video below.

Once again we stuck exclusively with shore diving and picked up our tanks through Dive Friends Bonaire's Hamlet shop. Robert, Andrea, and Kaj are great folks, as are the DFB staff we've encountered at all of their locations over the years. I don't know if DFB is currently "the best" on the island, but they're pretty damned good by our account. Tank fills were consistently 3000+ psi and often 3200 psi. Nitrox blends were consistently 31.5 to 32.5 on their analyzer. My only complaint was that I had to change several tank o-rings and return a couple of tanks with leaking valves or threads. I realize that this is inherent with "break/fix" maintenance strategy... but it never seems to happen at an opportune time. Our solution was to always carry a spare full tank in the truck with this in mind. I also carry a keychain o-ring replacement kit that came in handy.

We weren't too militant or hard-core about our diving goals, especially considering the lower than normal water temps. As usual my wife and I both wore 5/4 mm full wetsuits with 2 mm beanies. This year she added a dive skin layer under her suit. The skin helped with warmth and also to don her suit more easily. We saw quite a few divers wearing shorty wetsuits and some just wearing swim trunks and t-shirts. But all that I observed outfitted like that were in the water for considerably less time than us. Several times we encountered divers underwater that entered the site after us and were gone when we exited.

I logged 37 hours of bottom time this trip with average 71 minutes bottom time per dive. That's down a bit from 40 hours and 74 minutes average the past couple of winter trips. I think the difference was the slightly colder water temps this trip. You can see in the video that our dive pace is relaxed, which helps quite a bit with extending bottom time. It also comes in handy when searching for and interacting with marine life. It's also pretty rare for us to delve deeper than 80' or so. Overall I've now enjoyed 299 hours of bottom time on Bonaire. If I'd known that before I left the island I probably would have pushed for one more dive. Oh well, something to look forward to next time. We're already making plans for our next visit! :)

That's all I can think of for now... and then some.

Hope you enjoy the video! (Bonus karma points awarded if you can pick out all 3 frogfish in the sequences towards the end.)

Thanks for a great report. I heard the weather was less than ideal during your time frame and we caught the tail end of it when we arrived. I heard one DM report that he had 76 degrees on his computer a couple days before we arrived on a dive.

On the O ring thing, it is common at a lot of dive shops on islands and I always carry that little scuba tank key ring o ring kit for both air and nitrox. I think I experience a little more on Bon, I had to make 3 change overs in 6 days. One, I could not remove for the life of me or the liteweight pick in the cap of my o-ring kit. The o ring and become one with the seal seat. It took some doing and something much more substantial to remove it. On another thread they mention carrying the little air fill tire adapter in their kit as well. I never leave home without it, especially in Bon but have not had an occasion to use it in Bon . .. thank goodness.

Some day I hope to be able to go for more than a week. I am in the process of making all my shorter trips 3-4 days to at least a week.

Ok I LOVE your video......What did you take it with? Do you white balance underwater?

PS Amazing video. Spotted the three but only with the heads up to look. Especially like the close up of the squid, capturing its eye movements. What do you use for a camera/lites and to edit your videos? Thanks again. TK

Thanks for the kind words for the video. I have to confess that I don't know the difference between an f-stop and a bus stop. I'm definitely a point-and-shoot kind of guy.

I carry a GoPro Hero 3+ camera with a Backscatter Flip 3.1 filter system mounted on a short handle with a wrist strap. The camera is set to 1080p 30 fps wide mode and that's about it. While diving I switch between no filter, a filter intended for 20' to 50', and a filter for 50' and deeper. I also have a filter for 5' to 20', but the "flip" system can only accommodate 2 filters at any one time. The unused shallow filter would be great for those shallow shots towards the end that appear a little yellower than normal. That's because I was using the 20' filter and it was introducing too much red for that depth. I don't use any external lighting other than ambient.

I hold the camera in my right hand and it usually stays tucked under my left armpit while diving in a horizontal streamlined fashion (that's how I imagine myself diving anyway.) When I see something interesting I pull it out and take some footage. I try to imagine most shots in my head before I take them and stay away from shooting too much video whenever possible because I don't want to wade through it all again later when editing.

I use Cyberlink PowerDirector software on a Windows PC for editing afterwards, but don't make any adjustments to the lighting. GoPro has a free editing software but it gives me fits, especially when trying to mix video with still images.

One of the characteristics of working with GoPro is the extremely wide field of view. It's great for most shots because it's truly point-and-shoot. There's no view-finder or other aiming tool. The downside is that even shots of very close subjects appear farther away than they are. That squid was about 12'' from my lens. Anything closer then that starts to lose focus. The spotted drum, peacock flounder, seahorse, and all 3 frogfish were also extremely close but they didn't look that way in the video.

Here's my camera setup:
camera.JPG

And here's a video screen capture of a small curious lobster feeling up my camera with it's antenna. It gives you an idea of spatial distance and capability of the camera:
lobster.jpg

On the O ring thing, it is common at a lot of dive shops on islands and I always carry that little scuba tank key ring o ring kit for both air and nitrox. I think I experience a little more on Bon, I had to make 3 change overs in 6 days. One, I could not remove for the life of me or the liteweight pick in the cap of my o-ring kit. The o ring and become one with the seal seat. It took some doing and something much more substantial to remove it. On another thread they mention carrying the little air fill tire adapter in their kit as well. I never leave home without it, especially in Bon but have not had an occasion to use it in Bon . .. thank goodness.

I carry the little tank o-ring kit too. The removal tool is soft brass and bends back and forth but hasn't broken yet after several trips. I take the bad o-rings back to the dive shop and they give me replacements for my kit. I have had similar struggles as you in removing old o-rings. That's why sometimes I find it more convenient to just swap to another tank and let the dive shop fix it on our next stop there. I also carry the tire adapter. I just leave it in the glove box in the truck. 5 years so far and it hasn't gone missing yet. <Fingers crossed for luck.>

It's not a very sexy production but here's a short video I posted a couple of years ago showing how the Flip filter system enhances video without additional lighting.

Also, for the past couple of years I've been diving with a SeaVision mask with red filtered lenses and I love it. What I see underwater is similar to what you see in my video.

Thanks for the great write up and video. I will be missing Bonaire this year!

Wow! To say your video was magical is an understatement. Your squid shots are like nothing I have seen before, really amazing.

Nice report and video. Got the same GoPro and flip filter at Christmas. Cannot wait to use it. I did get a video light as well. Wondering how much that will enhance the video. Will be on island 2 weeks from today for our 9th trip in last 10 years. Can't wait.

Back
Top Bottom