Which one for visiting first scuba second

• Dubai

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Singapore

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shoturtle

Contributor
Reaction score
I am planning my X-mas trip. I have narrow it down between Singapore or Dubai. I am not planning to dive the whole trip and I do enjoy visiting a country I visit. So which do you think is the better choice?

Which one and why if you please. Thanks

If you have cubic metric dollars, go to Dubai... while it's still affordable.

You'll be there just before the Dubai Shopping Festival. I kid you not.

That's a tough one! But you can't make the wrong choice... I'd do Dubai first and Singapore second. HAve fun!

If you have cubic metric dollars, go to Dubai... while it's still affordable.

You'll be there just before the Dubai Shopping Festival. I kid you not.

Cubic metric dollars?

Shopping Festival, I will have to rethink that one, then. The wifey can do some serious damage. :crafty:

Dubai Shopping Festival is in Jan-Feb usually (it lasts a month) and is when bargains can be had in this expensive paradise. DSS (Dubai Summer Surprises) is on right now - another excuse for sales. :wink:

Seriously though, December is a great tme to visit Dubai. It's before the rainy season (which is only a couple of days long anyway!) and after the summer's oppressive heat and humidity.

The diving in Dubai itself is not that great, because there is a lot of dredging activity associated with off-shore building work (artifiicial islands). But the west coast has some beautiful diving available. It's not too far from Dubai to the west coast, so you can base yourself there. But you will either be in another Emirate (Fujairah) or country (Oman) if you do head west. Look up the mighty Musandam (plenty of Google hits), which is in Oman, but that part of Oman has no border controls (Oman is split by the Emirates!) so might as well be UAE.

Just to clarify my 'no border controls' statement! There are soldiers with guns, who might want to see your passport (most of the time they just wave you through). They do not stamp passports though - unlike the real border controls from UAE to the southern part of Oman.

Head to Dibba (a small port) for charters/live-aboards. It's 2-3 hours in a boat from there to the best diving areas in extreme north.

I would definateley go for Singapore, i dont think the diving even compares in Dubai. Singapore is a whole lot cheaper as far as a destination goes... shopping, hotels, food etc. It is a very pleasant destination with a multitude of things to do and see, beautiful islands to visit and the diving is unlimited!

There isnt much to do in Dubai besides shopping (very expensive, even during the so called shopping festival... Im finding even the shopping in Australia much cheaper) desert safari, gold souk (get harassed continuously to buy water etc outside shops, get stared at and followed if you are a woman), high tea at the Burj, and lunch/dinner at restaurants in hotels... and thats literally about it!
However if you come early december the weather is great and the Dubai Rugby Sevens is on and it is sooooo much fun.

The diving in dubai is pretty crap at best. Like Kadleck mentioned Fujairah (about 1.5 hrs drive from Dubai) and the Musundam in Oman is great.
The best dive center there is Freestyle Divers in Fujairah (Dibba) They have day boat trips out to Musumdam, and a reef with lots of turtles at Dibba Rock directly opposite the centre based at the Royal Beach Hotel Dibba. It is owned and run by an English man, the gear is clean and well maintained and their prices are good.
The Rotana Fujairah (dibba) or the JAL Hotel in Fujairah (dibba) is reasonably close and much much nicer to stay at then the Royal Beach hotel, about the same price, brand new and serve alcohol (bonus!).

Back
Top Bottom