Xanadu trip in 2 wks Belize... Lagniyappe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NCSCUBADOOBA

Contributor
Reaction score
:wink:
Hi all! Glad to see that my choice of Xanadu resort seems to be a good one.
If any of you have stayed there and used the Provisioning company to do your shopping, I'd like to know if it's really beneficial, or is it just as easy to the do the shopping myself when I get there.
Also... do they have filtered drinking water in the rooms?
Thanks for any tips/experiences!!!!!!!
Angela

NCSCUBADOOBA:
:wink:
Hi all! Glad to see that my choice of Xanadu resort seems to be a good one.
If any of you have stayed there and used the Provisioning company to do your shopping, I'd like to know if it's really beneficial, or is it just as easy to the do the shopping myself when I get there.
Also... do they have filtered drinking water in the rooms?
Thanks for any tips/experiences!!!!!!!
Angela

I havn't stayed in the Xanadu resort itself, but have toured the facility and checked out the rooms. I think you'll be very happy. Nice rooms, nice pool, on the beach, and close enough to walk down the beach into San Pedro if you choose. There website does a very accurate job of providing pictures of the rooms.

In March, we visited and stayed across the road, behind Xanadu for 10 days. If you are considering renting a golf cart, and I would, as the walk to town on a regualar basis would become a little far, the entire island will be within easy reach. If you don't, you'll find yourself hanging around the South end just because "it's easier". We rented a cart so we could make trips to town and I never regretted it. After 2 days without, I was ready to start "driving". The cart made is much easier to run into town for the "nightly icecream" and trips to the grocery store. Moncho's gave us a pretty good weekly deal, with gas included. They'll deliver to the hotel if you like.

If you are planning on doing quite a bit of cooking within your condo, I would definately suggest Simon's Laginappe provisioning. We were very happy with his service. I'd use him to outfit you for the main items, and then fill in the gaps from the local market. He provided some exceptional snapper and grouper fillets. Have him provide the beer, bottled water, pop, eggs- though they'll be on the counter when you arrive :wink: etc. Get some of his fresh cinnamon loaf. There is the "sausage factory" across the street and down the road for breakfast meats, so I'd just pick up a little to get you started. Same with coffee as the Coffee store is next to the Sausage factory. Bring filters from home!! Do expect some of the "americanized" export items to be in smaller sizes than normal and prices to be a little higher. I do believe he has a $200.00 minimum order.

As far as the water at Xanadu goes, I'm sure it is fine but I'd send an email and check. We have never had any problems eating and drinking, but I think for the drinking water, I'd still stick to the bottled stuff. Cheap insurance!

If you are doing any diving, I can offer a very strong reccomendation for the Protech Dive Shop. Small groups. The shop owner Peter Jones and Shop Manager Brion provided exceptional service for our 7 days of diving.

If you want specifics or have any questions , PM me. Ken :42:

Angela
I have stayed xanadu a few times and i think you have chosen a great place. in regards to the provisions. my wife orders up some of the basics to be delivered for convenience.
if you have a golf cart it is less expensive and very easy to go down to one of the markets to replenish your supplies. as for purchasing soda and beer you can pick it up from the distributor who is located across the street from island market.
the water is fine for washing dishes but i would recommend to drink the bottled water.
I too would recommend protech as a dive center as well as Ecologic divers, they
are a newer dive center located in town and will pick you up at your resort.

feel free to PM me if you have any other questions as i go down ambergris once a month.

One of the "standard" small supermarkets on the island is right next door to Xanadu.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom