Xcalak dive trip with XTC Dive Center Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lthomas132

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We just returned from Xcalak after 10 days of diving and relaxing. What a fantastic place! It's literally at the end of the road in Mexico but well worth the drive. We flew into Cancun (yuck) and picked up a rental car and started driving. We overnighted in Tulum just of the main drag at a small but very nice hotel, Maison Tulum Maisontulum |. Next morning we stocked up groceries at the Chedraui then drove ~3 hrs. to Xcalak. First stop was XTC Dive Center, XTC DIVE CENTER | Scuba diving, Snorkelling, Fishing and Excursions in Xcalak, Costa Maya Mexico. We were greeted by the dive shop dogs then Shannon, the manager. We were starved so we had burgers at their small grill/bar. XTC is a 5 star PADI shop doing lots of IDC training so it had lots of young people working or just hanging out. Set up the diving for day after and drove to our villa rented through VRBO. A beautiful villa 6 miles down the beach road on a stretch of beach that's hard to believe how gorgeous it was. It's completely off the grid except for wi-fi and how they get it is still a mystery. It's completely on solar power with an inverter to run low amp things. The water system is a rain water cistern system on the roof along with the solar panels. It is unbelievable how quiet it was with only the sea breeze and palms moving. I didn't keep up with all the dive site names, just did the dives and enjoyed. I do remember La Poza which is the deep cut through the reef with hundreds of tarpons, some 6-7 ft. Amazing to dive amongst! Got an email from XTC after a couple of days and said that we were on for Banco Chinchorro, one of my bucket list dives. Wow, what a pristine and totally gorgeous area with the clearest water that I have ever dove! With what is happening in Cozumel with the new cruise ship piers being built and the overcrowding, I will spend the energy and time to go back to Xcalak and dive with the XTC group. Sorry, but my underwater camera was on the blink, so here's a couple of the villa.

Attachments

• 20160525_083119.jpg
    20160525_083119.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 69
  • 20160527_083848.jpg
    20160527_083848.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 69
Interesting report. Sounds like an out-of-the-way destination; some hassle to get to. What made you pick this as opposed to alternatives? Anything special to recommend it over other regional offerings?

I've never been to Cancun; it got a 'yuck' from you. Anything particular that rubbed you the wrong way?

Richard.

I go on vacations to get away from the crowds. Cancun was built to be a tourist trap and has grown to be a big, crowded city with hotels on a beach. Xcalak is what Mexico was when I first started diving, small fishing village with an excellent dive shop. For 10 days the only gringo communication that we had was at the dive shop. Why did I want to go to Xcalak?, Banco Chinchorro mainly but also the slow paced lifestyle, pristine reefs and friendly people. The only way to get there is by your own vehicle or by boat; ADO buses don't even go there. Try it, you'll like it!

How difficult would it be for people who speak no Spanish?
You just about have to fly into Cancun where English, or at least broken English is widely spoken. Even at the small hotel in Tulum, the desk guy spoke good English (studied in US). Once in Xcalak, a few Mexicans can speak broken English & at the dive shop, of course, all speak English. My Spanish is not great but usually enough to get through. There's a great app, Google Translate, on Android for spoken & written translation but be sure and download the full, "offline" version, no cell phone service there. It can be a challenge but an interesting challenge. Nothing else, take Lonely Planet Latin American Spanish phrase book.

an option for a hotel Costa de Cocos Resort - Xcalak, Mexico - Beauty and Tranquility at the End of the Road Less Traveled just down the road from the dive shop though they maybe starting diving again.
We had dinner there one evening and the place was empty. We looked at the small cabana's that they had but weren't impressed nor were we with the dinner or the shore area. Unless you're on a tight budget the best way to go is a VRBO rental or maybe Sin Dudas, it seemed fairly nice. None of them have AC

been staying there for over 20 years. its basic but very tranquil. Food always been fine as well. You are right quite a few vrbo rental type properties down the road.

If it were any more tranquil there would be no pulses there. We arrived at the Pemex down the road from Mahahual and though we'd have lunch at the village. The road leads straight to the cruise boat docks & we missed the turn into the actual village. We drove around and came upon the "Authentic Mayan Village" built for the cruise boat people including a Mayan water slide. My wife joked that she didn't know that the Mayans invented water slides! There was also a stone replica of a pyramid right by the road there. Man, what a joke of a place!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom