xtremist

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jpanayotou

Registered
Reaction score
Gday divers,

I am a university design student and am focusing on designing a dpv for my final year project. I am hoping for continuous positive feedback from the following questions:

Regarding oxygen cylinders/tanks, are there any specifications detailing dimensions, weight and brands of existing tanks? How is the weight affected in and out of the water? Why are the tanks made of such heavy materials, are there any alternatives?

What is the direct purpose of BCD's and weight belts, and how are they controlled during a dive?

Are there any specific details regarding the rate of ascent and descent at various levels during a dive, and the maximum speeds that can be achieved? This needs to be considered in reflection to a dpv.

Would it be possible, and would there be personal and market interest in a dpv that enables you to connect a tank, BCD, weight belts, etc (all necessary equipment) to the u/w vehicle? My primary concern is your hands will be operating the dpv, allowing minimum interaction with the marine life. An immediate thought on the design is to combine all necessary equipment into the single unit of the dpv, however allowing the user to detach and separate the oxygen cylinder to support them for a short period of time.

What is your personal interest and comments on directing a dpv towards a scuba diving market, aiming to expand the exploration of the underwater environment to a wider target market?

Your feedback is greatly appreciated, and I hope to hear positive constructive criticism towards my project shortly.

Kindest regards,

John

wow - good luck! There are already a number of "scooters" out there ranging in price from 300GBP upwards.....

For tank specs here's a starting point for you: OMS Cylinder Specs

Jonathan

Try www.gavinscooters.com and get in touch with George Irvine

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom