Ya' Never Know what You'll See

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

metaldector

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've been doing a lot of cavern, caves, and springs diving for the last few month, but this weekend was my first Ocean treasure diving of the year. As usual we took our boat out of Sebastian Inlet down the coast a couple of miles to the cabin site of the 1715 wreaks, only to find the water viz down to about 6" (inches). So we knew it wasn't going to be a great day for treasure hunting. I made 5 dives from 9:00 AM to 11:30 AM in only 23' of water and found a few beer cans. Nothing worth talking about. I was getting cold (water was 73 degrees) and decided to get back on board the boat. My buddie was to do the next few dives before lunch. Just as he submerged I spotted a large black shape moving towards us in the water. It was moving from our bow towards where my buddie just disappeared. It was too large for a manatee, and too wide for a shark. Holy Cow, it was a large Atlantic Manta Ray! With a wing span of at least 8 feet. It was gliding just under the surface but was easily seen by all on the boat. "Where's my camera?" I thought. I grabbed the camera in its underwater housing, but I had not turned it on. I popped the housing off and pulled the camera out and turned it on just as the Manta Ray slid silently under the cover of the dirty water. Darn, no picture.
That was the first time in 30 years of diving I saw a Manata Ray and I wasn't prepared. So I'm telling you, Ya never know what you'll see when your diving. Be prepared.

very cool. I hear that mantas are the largest fish, with a wingspread of up to 23 ft!

I just love it when something shows up!!! I wait and wait for months sometimes..you just never know. we saw a Manta yesterday. Not a great shot...I could not drop down as I was doing a stop. :( My wide angle makes him look tiny, but he was 8 ft across.

It's always cool to see a manta! Especially when they are unexpected :D

catherine96821:
very cool. I hear that mantas are the largest fish,
FWIW the largest fish in the ocean is the whale shark :wink:

yes, thats what I thought. John Hoover's book says 3100 pounds and a wingspan of 23 feet. maybe whale sharks don't get that wide? actually says "among the largest fish". How big to whale sharks get BTW?

what I really want to know..is why are they called pups if they aren't mammilian?

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom