Yeah, another Oceanic thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you guys have any thoughts on Oceanic Alpha 10 octopus? It's on sale at our store.

I've got an alpha 8 as octopus, it is plain and simple, breathes very easy.
In the best case, you'll never need the octopus (safe second), so if you can get it for cheap, i don't see a reason not to buy it.

Or are you referring to the whole regulator set as octopus?

I'm actually getting the Delta 5 regulator as my main and the alpha 10 as my octopus. Any thoughts on Delta 5 as well? Should be my first reg if ever.

I'm actually getting the Delta 5 regulator as my main and the alpha 10 as my octopus. Any thoughts on Delta 5 as well? Should be my first reg if ever.

Looks like a decent regulator. As stated before, I would prefer a wider exhaust.

Are you going to dive in the Philippines only?
If you're diving only in warm water, basically every regulator will work.
Then it's just a matter of your personal preference, buy whatever you like best!

What is your main regulator?

Right now, Yes. Philippines only.

Great, Just wanted to make sure.

Thank you for the advise!

My new main reg is an Apeks XTX200.
I bought it used for very little money.

Main reg on my oceanic set is a GTX3.

For years I dove an Aqualung Calypso (simple & cheap) and even this one served me well.

the SP are far better build quality.
I agree, and that comment was probably worded poorly, but if Oceanic is 90% of perfect, SP is 95% of perfect, does it really matter to an end user? Probably not... Either way, I would still not buy that regulator and if you gave me the Oceanic, I'd flip it before I used it if given the option...

What is the downside of a sealed diaphram first stage?
the only downside is if you are diving extraordinarily deep where the overcompensation will cause the second stages to free flow. This is expedition trimix levels below 100m, and you can solve it easily by removing the environmental seal for those dives. Other than that? There isn't one

I agree, and that comment was probably worded poorly, but if Oceanic is 90% of perfect, SP is 95% of perfect, does it really matter to an end user? Probably not... Either way, I would still not buy that regulator and if you gave me the Oceanic, I'd flip it before I used it if given the option...

they breath fine, they turn green if you let them look at the ocean and the plastics used are nowhere as robust as that used by SP (or Deep 6 for that matter, or HOG, or Mares, or AL or most)

Looks like a decent regulator. As stated before, I would prefer a wider exhaust.

Check with a dealer, I had the same problem with a Sherwood and found I could buy a wider exhaust and am much happier now.

Bob

A guy local to me has some regs for sale. They are the Oceanic FDX10 and Delta4.
About how do these compare to a SP Mk25/G250?
How do they compare to other regs in quality and in use?

No comparison here. Mk25/G250 is a much better set. FDX10/Delt4 was the very first set of regulator I purchased brand new. It was one of the dive gear I regretted buying. I didn't have any issue with the FDX10 first state. It was quite good in build quality, performance was OK although I didn't know much back them. The Delta4 2nd stage is just low quality. It is NOT what I would call a balanced 2nd stage. Oceanic calls it "mechanical" balanced. It is done by using spring, and doesn't have an air balanced chamber. How is this possibly balanced across depth is beyong me. Built quality low, between the thin and hard hallow plastic casing and adjustment knob that has no stop. The worst part is when I decide to sell it after very minimal use, it was very difficult. Resell value is very low. So unless you get a killer deal on it, I would say go with the Mk25/G250. If not this, get HOG or Deep6. Just not Oceanic

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom