Yelled at for MOF

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive Training just had an article about this subject.

As I explain every time someone asks me if I'm in distress....."What distresses me more than seeing a MOF is a so-called "professional" or self-proclaimed "experienced diver" that doesn't have enough frigging sense to tell the difference between a guy drowning and a guy casually wearing his mask on his forehead." That usually shuts them up.

I was out this summer diving with a class. We had a new "assistant instructor". He didn't know I sometimes assist with the rescue course and I go dive with the class. We'd never met. So I go out with the OW class to dive just for the free boat ride while they're doing their class stuff. He sees me in about nipple-deep water with my mask on my forehead and thinks I'm a student in his class and his "I'm gonna be an instructor" Alpha male thing kicks in...in his best "drill sergeant" voice he yells..."Hey you! <pointing finger at me> You with the mask on your forehead! Get that mask of your forehead! Once you're certified then you can wear it any way you want to!"

I replied, "Well that's good then. Cause I was certified in 2002." He looked over at the instructor kind of confused. Instructor just laughed at him and said "Anthony isn't in the class. I certified him 16 years ago."

As Dive training so elegantly put it in their last issue, "I've never seen a drowning diver say, "Well hang on a second. I'm drowning. Let me put my mask on my forehead so someone will come and rescue me."

JaquesCousteauMaskOnForehead.png

Last edited:
Dive Training just had an article about this subject.

As I explain every time someone asks me if I'm in distress....."What distresses me more than seeing a MOF is a so-called "professional" or self-proclaimed "experienced diver" that doesn't have enough frigging sense to tell the difference between a guy drowning and a guy casually wearing his mask on his forehead." That usually shuts them up.

I was out this summer diving with a class. We had a new "assistant instructor". He didn't know I sometimes assist with the rescue course and I go dive with the class. We'd never met. So I go out with the OW class to dive just for the free boat ride while they're doing their class stuff. He sees me in about nipple-deep water with my mask on my forehead and thinks I'm a student in his class and his "I'm gonna be an instructor" Alpha male thing kicks in...in his best "drill sergeant" voice he yells..."Hey you! <pointing finger at me> You with the mask on your forehead! Get that mask of your forehead! Once you're certified then you can wear it any way you want to!"

I replied, "Well that's good then. Cause I was certified in 2002." He looked over at the instructor kind of confused. Instructor just laughed at him and said "Anthony isn't in the class. I certified him 16 years ago."

As Dive training so elegantly put it in their last issue, "I've never seen a drowning diver say, "Well hang on a second. I'm drowning. Let me put my mask on my forehead so someone will come and rescue me."

View attachment 432313

I would have pointed right back at him with my middle finger.

I have never experienced or even seen the kind of behavior some people are describing.

The only thing I experienced once was diving with Ultimate Getaway liveaboard. After finishing the dive, I was at the ladder waiting for my turn to climb and I had the mask on my forehead. I had also taken a mouthful of water simply because it was wavy and choppy and I got splashed while floating at the surface. I was clearing my throat.

I noticed the divemaster keenly observing me. When I had cleared my throat he asked very politely "Are you OK bud?" I told him I am fine thanks. He gave me a thumbs up and said "You had mask on your head so I was just checking." He then went back to pulling divers out of the water and that was it.

There is a difference between a pro doing his job and some newly certified trying to convince his own self that he is bigger than he truly is. Childish and unnecessary.

I have never experienced or even seen the kind of behavior some people are describing.

The only thing I experienced once was diving with Ultimate Getaway liveaboard. After finishing the dive, I was at the ladder waiting for my turn to climb and I had the mask on my forehead. I had also taken a mouthful of water simply because it was wavy and choppy and I got splashed while floating at the surface. I was clearing my throat.

I noticed the divemaster keenly observing me. When I had cleared my throat he asked very politely "Are you OK bud?" I told him I am fine thanks. He gave me a thumbs up and said "You had mask on your head so I was just checking." He then went back to pulling divers out of the water and that was it.

There is a difference between a pro doing his job and some newly certified trying to convince his own self that he is bigger than he truly is. Childish and unnecessary.
I can understand his attention but if it was me I don't think I would have been looking for the mask on the forehead but listening to the coughing and spluttering. You could easily have had your mask round your neck and still had a mouthful of water - what would he do then? Ignore you because your mask was in the "right" place or still ask if you were ok?

On that issue - what if the person rips the mask straight off? Does that count as "distressed" or is it only if it is MOF?

After finishing the dive, I was at the ladder waiting for my turn to climb and I had the mask on my forehead. I had also taken a mouthful of water simply because it was wavy and choppy and I got splashed while floating at the surface. I was clearing my throat.

I noticed the divemaster keenly observing me.

I would have also been keenly observing you, in part because of the mask on the forehead, but also because the reg was out of your mouth. Unless you absolutely have to say something to somebody that is several feet away for safety reasons, I see no reason for either behavior prior to being on the boat.

I would have also been keenly observing you, in part because of the mask on the forehead, but also because the reg was out of your mouth. Unless you absolutely have to say something to somebody that is several feet away for safety reasons, I see no reason for either behavior prior to being on the boat.
I, like Captain Sinbad, tend to have my reg out on the surface. Why? Normally because my mouth is tired from gripping the reg and very dry and it is nice to take the reg out, swill some water round (even sea water works) and get a breath of fresh air ( I might keep it in if alongside the exhaust though).

Funny story, and for some reason, visions of Volunteer Officer Picklestein came into my head. I'm surprised he didn't write you a MOF citation. :D

I was always taught that MOF was a distress signal. I do not put my mask on my forehead for that reason, but also two more reasons. One, it is more apt to fall off and sink. Two, it fogs up.

FWIW, If i remove my mask at the surface, it's around my neck.

I like my reg necklace, So I already have something around my neck. I like having the reg a few inches from my mouth so if I spit it out I don't have to hunt for it or do the "arm sweep" to find it.

All the times I just leave it on my face it fogs up, and if I do put it around my neck it's a lot of trouble to put back on because I have to use two hands.

I do try to oblige with it around my neck or just take it off and hold it in one hand if there's a class going on so I can set a "good example", but if I'm on a charter or just doing my own thing then I dive how I want to. When the dive charter Nazi starts buying my masks for me then he/she can dictate how I wear them. I bought it, and if I want to accept the risk of losing it in 100 feet of ocean, then that's my prerogative. I'll buy the one that replaces it with my own money, not yours. I had one dive chick one time, we just anchored and everyone was getting geared up and ready to jump in, she walked over in her neoprene and asked me if I was in distress. I didn't get it. "Huh?" ...."I SAID, Are you in distress?"....I realized I had MOF...."Well, babe, if you came over here to save me, then yeah. Save me <wink>." She put her hands on her hips and stomped on off and returned to getting her gear on. I know that was a sexist thing to say but she deserved it for trying to be a wise ass herself and being up in my business.

On a serious note, an argument can be made about the MOF. let's say you were on a drift dive in Cozumel, you get seperated from your group and get left behind. A boat passes by, you are wearing your mask like normal, wave at them, even yell for help. they go by at full speed and wave back at you. if you had the MOF, they might think something was wrong and stop to check.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom