Yes,, 007 in Thunderball

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brian Robinson

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I recently watched a James Bond Classic " Thunderball" It was Awesome.The majority of the action scenes were underwater and Diving. Good guys, red wet suits and white double tanks- Bad guys black wet suits and black double tanks. The filming was awesome. All of the divers had just a simple back-plate double tank rig and a weight belt.. No BCDs, no dive computers. 007 of course had some high tech gear. Lots of great footage. the movie was filmed in the Bahama's. A divers , Secret agent type of movie. What do you guys think??

Mike Nelson in Sea Hunt and James Bond in Thunderball are the reasons that my buddies and I got into scuba diving. Not only that, but Voit was my choice of equipment. After all, it was what all the cool guys used.

Scuba Diving - Willow Grove - 1965 - 5 - 1.jpg

Yes, good movie although I noticed that at times in the same scene Bond had a single tank then had a set of doubles then back to a single! Same thing with a blue face mask and then a black face mask. Oh well, still fun to watch.

At Thunderball's release, there was confusion as to whether a rebreather such as the one that appears in the film existed; most Bond gadgets, while implausible, often are based upon real technology. In the real world, a rebreather could not be so small, as it has no room for the breathing bag, while the alternative open-circuit scuba releases exhalation bubbles, which the film device does not. It was made with two CO2 bottles glued together and painted, with a small mouthpiece attached.[26] For this reason, when the Royal Corps of Engineers asked Peter Lamont how long a man could use the device underwater, the answer was "As long as you can hold your breath."[27]

Thunderball (film) - Wikipedia

Remnants of the set remain in the Bahamas, near Nassau I believe. It is a commonly visited dive site.

The grotto that he gets helicoptered out of is in the Bahamas and fun to plink around in for a couple of hours.

I worked at the company (years later) that provided/built some of the kit for that movie, and other Bond films... As you can see in my avatar, and my handle is the name of the research ship that did support for these ops. One of the scooters used by the "bad guys" in the film is in my shed, as a "one of these days I will get around to fixing it" projects... We also built the wet sub that was just a Lotus shell for, "The Spy Who Loved me" Jaws4, "Licensed to Kill" and other stuff I can't remember. It was cool.

My 8th grade history teacher in '64-'65 claimed that he was one of the scuba divers in Thunderball. He said he was on a diving vacation in the Bahamas and got recruited to be in the dive scenes. Being a big 007 fan at the time, I was thrilled. I have no idea where he is now.

That movie was a BIG deal when it came out. I couldn't wait to get to the movie theater to watch it. To see it on the big screen was a real treat! I was a tadpole snorkeling around back then dreaming of getting old enough to scuba dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom