Yes, I need lighter weight warm water gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jar546

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Just packed my large suitcase.

1 pr fins
1 small blunt tip dive knife
2 masks
1 regulator setup
1 bcd
1 pr thin gloves
1 3mil shorty
1 safety sausage
1 small dive light
1 pr booties
1 DIN to yoke adapter

With suitcase, 48.7 lbs
Max weight for airline 50

Yeah, I need some lightweight warm weather gear.

how much does your suit case weigh? You could also take your BCD out and wear it on the plane as a Backpack.

This is very nice luggage from what I have seen the Hard luggage is the best for protecting gear and is also lighter than most. The 29in comes in at 10lbs and the 25 is 7lbs, 21inch 4.6lbs Downside to the large one is it is slightly bigger than most airlines size requirements but the 25 is good.

Travel Concepts Luggage - Luggage and Accessories Salisbury Spinner/Hardside 3-Piece Set T235 - Luggage Online

how much does your suit case weigh? You could also take your BCD out and wear it on the plane as a Backpack.

The suitcase itself is around 13 pounds I think. Have to check the specs on it. Very large and heavy.

I never saw anyone use their bc as a backpack before on flights. That would be interesting to try.

13lbs is average for most 23-25inch suitcases or that I have seenwhat size is yours? You could always by the newer luggage and save 6lbs of weight and add more gear or more weight to bring things home. Yea I didnt either untill some else posted that. Said they do it all the time which is nice If you have a Bp/W that you wanted to bring take a lot of weight out of the case

Jar, have you thought about carrying on one mask and the reg setup, in case the bag gets lost or delayed? I figure rental gear would be fine for the rest, but I like knowing that my regs are well cared for and the mask fits. That would cut your weight a little, which would be important if your gear was coming back from your trip slightly damp (heavier).

James

I carry on a hard sided brief case (personal item) gutted to hold 3 sets of regulators plus an allowable sized carry-on. One mask, lights, and other heavier or needed items go in the carry-on. Never have any problem keeping checked bags under 50 for both wife and I (and never have we used it all). I did traveling with my 6 pound BP.

You can put a surprising amount of gear (reg, mask/snorkel, dive computer, laptop, towel, change of clothes, etc.) in a small backpack, and still bring on a standard carryon bag packed with lots more stuff. With all this, you should be able to get your checked bag down to a safe weight easily. Fins, wetsuit, BC and more clothes/swimsuits go in the checked bag without problem, and weight is well below limits. The trick is to get as much of the heavy stuff into your carryon as possible. Woody

I did travel in the past with a duffel/dive bag but was afraid of damage. I now move my regulator to my personal bag and that fixed the problem. I replaced that space with clothing.

I still think I could use some lighter weight, more compact gear for traveling to warmer climates.

Thanks for the responses. Just got back from Aruba and think I could definitely use lighter gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom