Yet another Saanich Inlet vis report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry, doing Cape Breton and Sask today. Vis was 30+ in Nananimo though. Diving wetsuit so I was a wee bit cold.
Should I bring my gear down with me next week?

Hopefully the conditions will hold through the week so Navydoll and I can actually see something.

Dave: It never hurts to be prepared. You would be kicking yourself if swankenstien wins the lottery and we get fanastic vis. What days will you be down?

SeanQ:
Hopefully the conditions will hold through the week so Navydoll and I can actually see something.

Dave: It never hurts to be prepared. You would be kicking yourself if swankenstien wins the lottery and we get fanastic vis. What days will you be down?

I will be back monday to friday for the next few months and prefer thursday dives since I don't get to rinse my gear till I get home friday. Gets a little hummy otherwise.

wedivebc:
Sorry, doing Cape Breton and Sask today. Vis was 30+ in Nananimo though. Diving wetsuit so I was a wee bit cold.
Should I bring my gear down with me next week?

Can't wait to do the Cape again. That definitely one of my favorite dive.
It is hard to dive with a wet suit after diving with a DS for so long.

SeanQ:

I hope the viz stay the way it was for yourself and Navydoll there was a bit of flotting stuff but otherwise the viz was as good as it gonna get right now. Of course that could all change by tomorrow, hopefully not.

Cheers

Al

Hyper-limits:
I did a dive there today and the viz was pretty good 20 to 25 ft range between 40-60 fsw and in 10ft it must have been over 40'. Of course it could change during Saturday and Sunday but Hopefully it stay the same or better. I also saw two wolf ell one swam right by me at the bottom of the wall, he was about 4ft long there was also a lot of fish too bad swankenstein wasn't with me to take some pictures. the temp. of the water was about 49C at 130' and a amazing 63C at the surface. Have a good dive
I was too busy having a crazy dive at the breakwater. I walked out to see the wolfeels past the second corner, though I should have turned back when I saw the waves. They were cresting over in a "tube" before they even hit the breakwater (like those ones that surfers go through, but of course a bit smaller). The tourists watching the tall ships from the top of the breakwater were getting wet. I managed to get in the water without loosing any gear (actually I didn't have a choice. A wave crashed into me and knocked me in). Underwater, the smaller bull kelp was laying flat on the bottom and vibrating from the current. It was stronger than I've felt during drift dives at Race Rocks. I couldn't even turn around to fly forwards, so I shot along fins-first. Luckily the current was going towards shore. As soon as I hit the second corner, the current stopped dead. Vis was half-decent (about 25 feet). As I swam back along the breakwater, the current started coming against me from the back-eddy in the bay. It wasn't as strong as near the end, but it was enough to make my regulator hose wiggle.I tried to exit near flag #2, but the surge and breakers were too much, so I had to descend and pull myself along the sand until I reached the sheltered part around the first corner. I brought my camera and tripod, but wasn't ambitious enough to take any pictures. I had around 100 psi left in my tank. In the parking lot there was a big group of divers from Alberta. They asked and I told them about the crazy conditions. As I was driving away I looked towards the breakwater and saw that the waves had almost completely died down. I dove at max current so that was probably dying down too. Those Alberta divers are probably wondering what all my fuss was about.

swankenstein:
I dove at max current so that was probably dying down too. Those Alberta divers are probably wondering what all my fuss was about.

They've just gotten used to the river that was once their streets. :11:

Hyper-limits:
the temp. of the water was about 49C at 130' and a amazing 63C at the surface. Have a good dive

I read that the water was warming up but 63C is incredible! You must have been really cooking.

Anyways, there was an article in the local Weekend Edition newspaper about tropical squid that are being found near Port Renfrew. They also mentioned that the Inlet is experiencing a 1 C increase in water temp this year.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for tropical squid on Wednesday.

SeanQ:
I read that the water was warming up but 63C is incredible! You must have been really cooking.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for tropical squid on Wednesday.

After spending 30 min between 120-140ft it was great when I got to my 10' stop and the water was at 61C that definitely warm me up.

Good luck seeing that tropical squid and let me know how the viz is on Wednesday.

SeanQ:

I realize this is an Inlet vis report thread, but...

I went to the breakwater on Saturday and had great vis! It was very low tide, making entry a bit difficult. Max depth about 45', and I took my camera down for about the 4th time. This was the first time I managed to stop my camera from fogging, so I was estatic:

http://www.cs.uvic.ca/~sshelfor/photos/diving-2005-06-25/

I love my cheap-@ss camera.

- ChillyWaters
P.S. Sorry for bailing on you NavyDoll, I thought you were covered.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom