Yet another Saanich Inlet vis report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Chilly,

No apologies needed. "My Little Pony" and I went to Ogden Point and I did my first solo dive! I can now appreciate why others do it!! Walked to Flag 5 and worked my way back for ~45min... max 75ft. Finally had to surface shortly after rounding the corner... in 5 fsw (where there is normally +10 fsw!!)

Hope everyone else had great diving this weekend too!!

later..
Navy

Got out to Willis Point yesterday (Wed, 29 June) for 2 dives with Sean. Vis was 15-20ft... at depths of 75-100ft. Really, not too bad for this time of year. Water temp according to my computer was ~52!!

First dive was to the left... second one was to the right. The right has a lot of squat lobster covering the bottom at 70-80ft! Also a lot of small nudi's living on the kelp in the shallower depths!

Hope everyone has a great Canada Day!!

Navy

NavyDoll:
Got out to Willis Point yesterday (Wed, 29 June) for 2 dives with Sean. Vis was 15-20ft... at depths of 75-100ft. Really, not too bad for this time of year. Water temp according to my computer was ~52!!

Navy

Thanks Navydoll I will be diving the inlet this week-end hopefully the viz improve or at least stay the same.

Great Canada day :dazzler1:

Cheers

Al

Hyper-limits:
Thanks Navydoll I will be diving the inlet this week-end hopefully the viz improve or at least stay the same.

Great Canada day :dazzler1:

Cheers

Al
Hey Al if you happen to see 'our friend' this weekend see if my drysuit is back yet and I'll bring my doubles down this week.

wedivebc:
Hey Al if you happen to see 'our friend' this weekend see if my drysuit is back yet and I'll bring my doubles down this week.

I was there yesterday and I didn't see it, things are a littlebit more relax on the course right now so I will try to get out for a dive with you for sure.

Have a great Canada day Dave

Cheers

Al

Dived Henderson PT with Swankenstein today Sunday 3rd July. Viz update:

0-20ft viz=5ft
20-70ft viz=15-20ft
70+ viz=25-30ft

Not bad for this time of the year

cheers

Al

NavyDoll:

First dive was to the left... second one was to the right. The right has a lot of squat lobster covering the bottom at 70-80ft! Also a lot of small nudi's living on the kelp in the shallower depths!

Navy

I dove Willis today, and it definitely wasn't 52degrees (max depth 80ft)! Brrrr...

Vis was good at depth. Above 60' there was a WHOLE WHACKING LOT OF NUDIs!!! Wow, I've never seen that many nudis in my life. I saw hundreds and hundreds today -- mostly opalescents. Perhaps laying eggs? As there were a lot of egg ribbons everywhere as well.

Oh yeah, and we almost nudged some jelly tentacles. We just saw 4 tentacles that went WAY off into the distance, with no jelly in sight! We didn't go off to determine the length of the tentacles, but lets just say, they were long (30'+) -- as viz was decent. That woulda hurt.

That's two consequent dives with good viz, as we dove 10 mile last week and were treated to great viz. Fun...

- ChillyWaters

Although Navydoll missed it, I saw a small octopus near the "cobble" area to the right at Willis. It was out in the open so I am not certain if it has a den nearby. I will have to examine that area carefully next time. The large octopus that lived in the horizontal crack past the cobble area was not there.

We also saw a large nudibranch that I believe was a Giant Nudibranch but it may have been a Red Dendronotid.

Still bummed about missing that little octo last week :( But, I had an awesome dive today at McKenzie Bight. I didn't see an octo... but I did see a decent size DogFish... which was a real treat!! There are also a lot of Giant Nudi's at the Bight right now... especially if you enter and head to the left in 70-100ft depths!

Vis was ok.. about 10ft at 0-30ft
15ft at 30-60ft
20ft at 60ft+

Navy :)

SeanQ:
Although Navydoll missed it, I saw a small octopus near the "cobble" area to the right at Willis.

I'm going to have to ask for a guided tour one day. I never seem to find octopi!!!

NavyDoll:
There are also a lot of Giant Nudi's at the Bight right now... especially if you enter and head to the left in 70-100ft depths!

The last couple times out to Setchell I've been happy. Lots of giant nudis, and a new sea pen colony is starting to grow. Though it definitely doesn't get to 100ft there.

NavyDoll:
but I did see a decent size DogFish

FUN!!!

- ChillyWaters

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom