YIKES! Bonaire trip in May and just found out I'm pregnant!! Need snorkeling advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jennfl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Well, we've had our diving trip planned for May for a couple of months now. I found out I was pregnant six weeks ago. While we are very excited about it, I'm also so SAD that I won't be able to dive in Bonaire.

My boyfriend is fine with just snorkeling. I'm the one who is so crazy about diving. So, now we need advice on where to snorkel? Are most of the snorkel sites going to be the dive sites?

Has anyone snorkeled in Bonaire while pregnant? Should I be worried about shore entry? I will be 5 months along, so 20 weeks or so.

Thanks for your help!!!

i have no advice, but big congrats!

First of all, congratulations. And now for my opinion (based primarily on my fiance's size 10 months ago - our son is now 6 months).......

Unless you are exceptionally large at 5 months or extremely awkward or clumsy, then I think you will do better than most divers on entry :D. You, after all will not have all the weight and tanks. My recommendation is that if the waters are at all rough, find another site (one without the iron shore) because you will likely have more surface area to get pushed around. The iron shore can be tough to navigate at some sites but manageable in reasonable seas.

As for snorkelling, yes they will primarily be the dive sites but I think you will find some better than other due to the depth of the "life". I can only think that Andrea 1 & 2 would be pretty good and Bachelor's Beach (I think that is the one that is JUST past the airport anyways).....IIRC Bari might be a bit deeper before the life starts but it's been a couple years.

I think it is a small but beautiful island with beautiful waters so I am sure you will still have a blast.

First, congrats on the pregnancy! As to the snorkeling, it is abundant. I am familiar with the frontage of the Sand Dollar resort. We always snorkel there during the last day of a stay before the flight home. There are man-made "reef balls" in the water to the north that are attracting an increasing # and variety of fish. I've found an octopus under a rock just off the cliff front. Around and under the dock belonging to Bonaire Dive and Adventure (from which the Sand Dollar diving is done) there is lots to see. To the south is a collapsed steel and stone dock that harbors a lot of fish and is a common snorkeling location.

You can snorkel at many of the southern shore dive locations. The water gets deeper fairly gradually. I found another octopus in 2 ft of water on one dive. There are small coral heads sprinkled around the 4-15 ft depth areas. You can probably reach the edge of the reef in most places and still not be in water that is too deep for snorkeling.

A sight with which I am not familiar is the east side mangrove area. Check out this website. The area is known for its kayak trips, but there is also snorkeling. A map on the website gives some indication of where these activities are located.

Also, some of the dive boats go to sites on Klein Bonaire that are suitable for both diving and snorkeling. You'll have to inquire about that at a dive shop, however. Most sites are not suitable for both activities.

Check out this site for a description of many snorkeling sites around the island.

Hope this helps.

One of the best snorkelling sites is an unmarked site at the South end. Not sure if it would be called Soft Coral Garden or Hidden beach. I marked it down in my log as three bushes North of Red Slave and one bush South of the rock cairn. Nice sandy entrance and the healthiest staghorn and elkhorn coral we saw during our trip in very shallow water. An excellent choice for the North end of the Island would be Tolo.

First... congrats!

Second.... you didn't say where you are staying but most resorts have wonderful snorkeling right out in front. You will love it. Buddy Dive and Capt Don's have nice dock areas with stairs. We saw plenty of snorkelers there every day.

Other places on the island to snorkel... get the "Bonaire - Shore Diving Made Easy" Guide. Then go! I would highly recommend 1000 Steps and Oil Slick Leap up north, and Alice in Wonderland down south.
Also, check out the website: http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/ABC/index.htm

As far as safety... I recomend you take some good sturdy booties for the shore entries, just like diving. The coral can be very rough.

robin:D

plenty of great snorkeling. i did area north of eden beach, across from yellow submarine and opposite airport on my last off gasing day. it was all great and none of it was tricky to enter or exit.
I am sure there are plenty of other sites too. just amazing what there is to see. enjoy and congratulations too!
i do use open end fins and booties....

"Angel City" - if I remember the name correctly..... flying might be more of an issue.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom