YIKES! Bonaire trip in May and just found out I'm pregnant!! Need snorkeling advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks to all of the replies so far! I'm sure we will love the snorkeling there. We were avid snorkelers before we got certified, which was only a year ago.

I can still fly at 20 weeks. I already double checked that one! Whew! Thank God.

I am going to try and find that no name site, "three bushes down" for sure! Sounds perfect.

Oh, and Yes, I will for sure have a dive buddy in 12 years! That kid is going to be an adventure seeker like us. I can't wait for that.

Great advice from everyone. Thank you.

Jenn

All sites from the Andreas I & II to 1000 Steps. Also, local swimming beach is pretty good foor snorkeling too. In the South, and further North at Karpata entering and exeting water can be rough.

For best snorkeling, get a kayak and go to Klein Bonaire.

Thanks to all of the replies so far! I'm sure we will love the snorkeling there. We were avid snorkelers before we got certified, which was only a year ago.

I can still fly at 20 weeks. I already double checked that one! Whew! Thank God.

I am going to try and find that no name site, "three bushes down" for sure! Sounds perfect.

Oh, and Yes, I will for sure have a dive buddy in 12 years! That kid is going to be an adventure seeker like us. I can't wait for that.

Great advice from everyone. Thank you.

Jenn

Diving opened up a whole new world of travel for my family.

All that being said - my kids over all favorite location for a mixed adventure vacation is Belize.

We are planning Costa Rica this year so that may change. Anyhow enjoy each moment...

For best snorkeling, get a kayak and go to Klein Bonaire.[/QUOTE]

I agree 100%. My wife is a snorkeler and always goes on the dive boat when they are headed to Klein Bonaire. There are some great snorkel spots and the reefs are beautiful.

It isn't the flying, but the sitting.... triple check that. We had to cancel a trip (East Coast to West Coast) because the doctor said there was no way my wife was going to be stuck like that for that duration.... Wish you luck!

I'm definitely going to get the Shore Diving Made Easy book. The link to the website with all of the dive site descriptions is also very helpful. Thanks again to all.

As for flying, we live in FL. We drive to Miami, and then the flight is only going to be 2 1/2 hours or so to Curacao. Shouldn't be too bad, I hope!!!

Here's a site with panoramic views, some include dive sites.
Bonaire Panoramas - Search

Front Porch, just south of Bari has an easy sand entry and an old broken pier with good, shallow habitat.

Oil Slick Leap has interesting habitat all along the cliff wall, especially south of the ladder. Most people jump in (2 m/ 6ft.) but you could enter by climbing the ladder as well.

13 years ago, the night before leaving for Bonaire, we found out my wife was pregnant. She had a great time snorkeling instead, and found plenty of spots. The dive operator refunded all her dive fees and let her on the few boat dives we did free. Plenty of spots on Klein Bonaire, and at Karpata and 1000 steps. The reef off from the hotel (Sunset, which is no longer around) was good too, as was Bari reef to the north. Boca Slaangbai was all really good and an easy entry, and we went kayaking thru the mangroves on the other side of the island.
I'll echo the congrats- you'll have a dive buddy before you know it. We're headed back there in 4 weeks and our son is very excited to be diving the places he's heard about for so long.
Sometimes life works out exactly as you'd hoped/planned. Congrats on the new addition!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom