YMCA Open Water Limitations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mwa1007

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm a newly certified open water diver. I have been searching for the limitation for YSCUBA open water. Does anyone know where these can be found. There is very little in the text and I can't find anything on the net. Any help is appreciated.

Mike

Most agencies will have a maximum depth limit of 60 feet during the OW training. Once a person is OW certified most agencies will strongly recommend not diving deeper than 60. I believe the YMCA program follows these guidlelines. Having said that, there are no scuba police and if you go deeper, either inadvertently or by choice, then that is your issue to deal with. Many people have nothing more than their OW certification and have done many hundreds or even thousands of dives and go to whatever depth they feel inclined to do. Certainly this is not something that is recommended for a new diver or one without more experience.

I've only got 6 dives including my OW cert dives. The deepest i've gone is 50' with our instructor. I was comfortable doing that. However, I intend to stay in the 30' to 40' range until it gets boring. Thanks for your help.

Mike

Here's my best advice. Stay off the bottom, if you're 10-15ft up there's usually more to see because you don't stir up silt or sand. I don't see how going 80ft is more dangerous than 60ft in most situations, but I wouldn't suggest starting to cheat your certification level either. If depth is limiting you from a dive site you're interested in, talk to your instructor and get their advice on if you should do the dive, or wait and take another course first.

Great to have you on board! Sounds like you are on your way to a really cool diving future. Some very good advice has been given and I appreciate your respect of your limitations. Do not ever for any reasons compromise your safety. As a new diver I wanted to dive as much and push it as hard as I possible could. Let's just say I had a serious set down conversation with my instructor and his dive master. Best advice I ever got! For me I chose to go for the AOW right away. Two weeks after OW, I was AOW and never looked back. When I was in Coz. Mexico at 90 feet I felt a lot more confident. Always remember to dive conservatively, trust me time flys when at depth!
You can not check gauges or computer enough! Congratulations on your cert., have fun and dive all you can! CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!:)

I've only got 6 dives including my OW cert dives. The deepest i've gone is 50' with our instructor. I was comfortable doing that. However, I intend to stay in the 30' to 40' range until it gets boring. Thanks for your help.

Mike
Mike,
Some of the most fascinating diving occurs in the 30 to 40 foot range. Just depends what the depth of the reef is. Many wrecks are deeper but not always much deeper. As you dive on your own(without an instructor) gradually increase the depth until you have several dives in the 60 foot range. Around 20 to 25 dives, if you feel ready, take an AOW course and then slowly increase you depth experience towards 100 feet or whatever depth you feel comfortable with.

I LOVE diving shallow. Less time on the surface waiting for the next dive and more time in the water!

Thanks for the info jbd. I agree that the most interesting depth is where the reef is. I have a reef aquarium and am really interested to seeing it in the wild.

Mike

I'm a YMCA AI candidate. Will be finished up in 2 weeks then onto instructor in May. As has already been stated Y recommendation for ow is 60 ft. Advanced or Silver is 100 ft. A deep specialty is also offered but again 100 ft max for recreational. YMCA does not recommend it's recreational sport divers go below 100 ft. Of course there are no scuba police. I'm also certed through other agencies including a technical cert so for me the limit now is in the 150-160 range. If there are any other question relating to Y certification Walter on here is a Y instructor. I'll be happy to answer what I can but you may need to wait a day or so for me to look it up just yet. Still learning all the standards.

Thanks for the encouragment Cam. I am very excited to be a part of this awesome sport. Looking forward to learning everything I can.

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom