Yoga before and after diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey I was wondering what your opinion is on yoga before and after diving. I'm not talking about power or hot yoga but rather hatha or slow vinyasa.
I would like to take yoga classes in the morning and go diving in the afternoon or vice versa. Is that gonna be a problem?

Happy bubbles oOoOo

One of my oldest friends, Dr. Richard Murphy (formerly Vice President for Science at The Cousteau Society), combines diving and yoga frequently.

I wouldn't do hot power yoga right after diving, but other than that I personally wouldn't be worried about it.

The usual warnings about exercise before diving are mostly based on conjecture about perceived biomechanical and biochemical processes. There are a couple of studies that show doing strenuous exercise even an hour or two before diving might actually reduce bubble grades. Last fall I a couple of morning 5K races with a pace fast enough to finish first in my age group and then gone diving an hour or two later, and felt comfortable doing so based on my examination of the research. I did make sure to rehydrate very well though.

Yoga shouldn't be a problem at all.

I know nothing about Yoga, but would think it's no problem. Hey, I'm old and start breathing heavy at times gearing up & walking to the entry point.

Jacques Mayol was doing long Yoga sessions for preparing body and mind before attempting his freediving record dives...
It is reported to give significant advantages for freediving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom