Yoke adapter doesn't fit ALL tank valves ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for posting that picture in your photo gallery, Firemedic. As you pointed out, the part of the adapter that fits against the O-ring is the problem that I'm having. There was definitely metal-on-metal contact when I used my DIN-to-yoke adapter on the Sherwood 5000 tank valves. If your tank valve were attached to a filled tank and you attached a DIN reg with the DR adapter and pressurized the system, you may find that it's difficult to get a good seal on that O-ring every time. Unfortunately, I don't own a tank with a Sherwood 5000 valve...or else I could post a similar picture of the problem.

I purchased my two DR adapters earlier this year from Dive Rite Express. Patrick, where and when did you purchase yours?

I've PM'ed a ScubaBoard member that has made posts on behalf of Dive Rite. I'll also send an email directly to Dive Rite to see if they can address this problem. We'll see what they say...

Thanks for posting that picture in your photo gallery, Firemedic. As you pointed out, the part of the adapter that fits against the O-ring is the problem that I'm having. There was definitely metal-on-metal contact when I used my DIN-to-yoke adapter on the Sherwood 5000 tank valves. If your tank valve were attached to a filled tank and you attached a DIN reg with the DR adapter and pressurized the system, you may find that it's difficult to get a good seal on that O-ring every time. Unfortunately, I don't own a tank with a Sherwood 5000 valve...or else I could post a similar picture of the problem.

I purchased my two DR adapters earlier this year from Dive Rite Express. Patrick, where and when did you purchase yours?

I've PM'ed a ScubaBoard member that has made posts on behalf of Dive Rite. I'll also send an email directly to Dive Rite to see if they can address this problem. We'll see what they say...

I got mine from a local DR dealer here on O'ahu. Someone from DR is usually pretty good about reading all these posts- we'll probably hear from her as well.

Thanks for taking the initiative on this! Looking forward to hearing what they have to say...

Happy New Year!

Patrick

Aloha-

I have an RG2500 and though I have DIN valves on my personal tanks, I use the DR yoke adapter for tanks other than my own (i.e. - charter boat diving using the standard AL80). Usually not a problem, however as I was going through my IDC training and subsequent IE, I discovered that the adapter doesn't fit a certain tank valve that my instructor development center has on every one of their tanks: the Sherwood 5000. The ring-collar that fits down on top of the tank valve o-ring is too short and never seats on the o-ring. This is further exacerbated by the fact the the "Y" of the adapter tapers in slightly and the valve actually hits the inside of each leg, preventing it from seating properly. So I had to borrow the dive center's Mares yoke adapter for the duration of the course. :-(

Anyone else ever have this problem?

Mahalo

Patrick

Hi Patrick,

Sorry to hear that you had troubles with your yoke adapter on the Sherwood tank valve. After much checking internally, we had reports of this issue several years ago. It appears to happen only on old Sherwood valves. We have not heard of this on the Sherwood 5000.

Let us put a call into Sherwood and see what is up.

Best,
Kathleen

300bar,

Thanks for the link to the other thread. I appear to be having a similar problem to the OP of that thread.

Kathleen (Dive Rite rep) is looking into this issue now. She has been very helpful so far. She's offered to replace my adapters with some other (new?) Dive Rite adapters. I have no idea if the dimensions of the replacement adapters will be different.

As a side note, I hope that this is an issue with standardization of the DIN-to-yoke adapters...and not an issue with standardization of the yoke tank valves.

I'll post again when my problem with the Dive Rite adapter is resolved.

As a side note, I hope that this is an issue with standardization of the DIN-to-yoke adapters...and not an issue with standardization of the yoke tank valves.

IMO in this case it has nothing to do with standardization of the adapters but with the standardization of the valves, since we do have 3 (as far as i know of)INT sizes on this globe.

EU size-US size and a frence size :11:

Hmmm...guess the folks at DiveRite don't talk internally as much as I thought. When I called the guy I spoke with told me he had never heard of the problem but would check it out and call me back. I never got a call.

The valves I was trying mine on were not Sherwood, by the way.

Assuming there isn't a credibility problem here there must be a lot of din-yoke adapters out there that aren't used very much.

There were no obvious defects in the DiveRite adapters so I just went to another brand that uses a slightly different machining. They work fine with all the tanks I can find. When I go somewhere else; who knows?

Thanks for all the info 300bar!

ArcticDiver,

You're probably correct that there are a lot of adapters that aren't getting used much.

Which DIN-to-yoke adapter with different machining did you end up getting? Some dive friends have recommended Trident-branded adapters.

300bar,

3 INT sizes for tank valves around the globe, eh? Is this just for yoke-style tank valves? If it is, then I'm curious as to which dimensions differ on the tank valves. The dimension I'm interested in is the "size" of the recess surrounding the O-ring area on the tank valve. This is the part of the tank valve that should accommodate the part on the DIN-to-yoke adapter compressing the O-ring. If this is a non-standard dimension, then I think that the adapter manufacturers should design their part to be small enough to fit the recess present in all of the tank valves. That's just the way I see it.

Bubbletrubble

As for the demensions,Frence are the smallest,US is a bit wider and the EU is again a bit wider therefore the adeptors come in different sizes as well.
Best fits sofar I have with the Poseidon and Trident ones.

As far as i've seen sofar, Oceanic is the only company who adressed this problem.
On there new DVT the have a US version and a EU version.
Main differance is that the EU version is a bit deeper and wider then the US version.
Therefore the US version sits directly on the metal with the EU one and does not seal.And the EU one does not seal over the US O-ring.(it's to wide)

LETS ALL GO TO DIN,there is only ONE DIN size :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom