YOKE Retainer come loose after service

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TQ for all tue responses.

First off, you broke an important rule, never had your reg serviced just before an important trip. Sad to say but the majority of issues happen just after service. Always put a number of dives on a reg after service but before a trip.

It is possible that the reg was in fact serviced properly and the yoke nut tightened to spec but a "helpful" DM may have attempted to straighten your reg while it was under pressure. This can easily loosen the fitting and after a couple of "helpful" adjustments, it is entirely possible the nut was loosed enough to leak. This is why I stay with my reg and have a hands off policy. DM's are not allowed to touch my equipment ever.

As for Sherwood, that is a totally different connection. The Atomic (and many others) yoke nuts are dual purpose, they hold the yoke on and serve as a flow path with an oring seal, the Sherwood is just a simple nut to hold on the yoke. As long it's nut is screwed down almost all the way, it will function fine.

Yeah... My friend said the same. But Helpful DMs also helped to straighten the first stage after pressurized multiple times before service but it didn't come loose.

Only after service.

Well, as the title stated. I sent my Atomic B2 for service in February before my trip to Komodo Island. Just to avoid any trouble diving at one of the high risk place.

Tested on land, everything works fine. And for the first few dives, everything were fine too... But in one particular dive, turning on the valve on the tank, there was strong leakage from the first stage. I removed the yoke and realized the retainer came loose.

Then I finger tighten it and it worked fine for the rest of the dives with regular check before dive.

After that trip, I forgot about the leakage and I went to Tioman for some weekend dives. Before my 3rd dive, when I turned on my air, the same incident happened. But this time, the worker used an adjustable spanner to tighten it for me...

So, last month. I visited a shop to do pressure chamber test for my camera housing. I saw the manager servicing a regulator and I mentioned the issue to him. He said this is common. You can use blue loctite to hold it. Not the red one.

But since it was spanner tightened on my last dive trip, I guess it's be ok. And recently, i went for 2 dive trip. Nothing happened on the first trip with 10 dives. And the most recent trip, the yoke retainer came loose again.

Do anyone think it's a good idea to use a little bit of loctite to hold it..? Cause it has never happened for more than a hundred dives before the service.

TQ in advance.

Having one of these in your save a dive tool kit would have been handy.
Custom Scuba Tools Yoke Retainer Wrench review

Back
Top Bottom