Youghiogheny Dam

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fookisan

Reaction score

Hi,

I'm new to the forum. Does anyone know if you can dive at Youghiogheny Dam near Ohiopyle, PA? I moved from the West coast to WV about 14 years ago There seemed to be little ooportunity in the Ohio Valley area for diving and got out of diving after 1994 . Last week had the opportunity to do some refresher work in the pool with tanks and thought more seriously about looking for diving options in my area. Was spoiled when I used to dive back on the West coast. Catalina, the Caribbean, Gulf of Mexico and Hawaii. Guess I could still fly to dive, but kids enormous college bill keeps us strapped for money and was looking for local dive spots. (2 to 3 hour drive or so) Enjoyed reading about Mt. Storm and Summersville. Any other diving opportunity in WV, OH, PA areas you can recommend? Also thinking about Great Lakes. Thanks for everyone's participation here!

Welcome to the board and WV- Pa diving.

Yes you can dive the Yough. I dive there several times a year. They start lowering the water level at the end of summer and by winter it gets pretty low. I was there two weeks ago and the level was already down at least 12 feet from summer high level.

We go to Mount Storm almost every weekend, and Summersville a few times a year. You can also dive Tygart Lake and some parts of the Mon River. Plus a few places on the Cheat.

What part of WV are you in?

Mike

fookisan:

Hi,

I'm new to the forum. Does anyone know if you can dive at Youghiogheny Dam near Ohiopyle, PA? I moved from the West coast to WV about 14 years ago There seemed to be little ooportunity in the Ohio Valley area for diving and got out of diving after 1994 . Last week had the opportunity to do some refresher work in the pool with tanks and thought more seriously about looking for diving options in my area. Was spoiled when I used to dive back on the West coast. Catalina, the Caribbean, Gulf of Mexico and Hawaii. Guess I could still fly to dive, but kids enormous college bill keeps us strapped for money and was looking for local dive spots. (2 to 3 hour drive or so) Enjoyed reading about Mt. Storm and Summersville. Any other diving opportunity in WV, OH, PA areas you can recommend? Also thinking about Great Lakes. Thanks for everyone's participation here!

WVMike:
Welcome to the board and WV- Pa diving.

Yes you can dive the Yough. I dive there several times a year. They start lowering the water level at the end of summer and by winter it gets pretty low. I was there two weeks ago and the level was already down at least 12 feet from summer high level.

We go to Mount Storm almost every weekend, and Summersville a few times a year. You can also dive Tygart Lake and some parts of the Mon River. Plus a few places on the Cheat.

What part of WV are you in?

Mike

Hi Mike and thanks for the info. Is it important to dive the yough dam with lower water? See anything UW there? I'm on the border of Ohio and WV. Wheeling / Stuebenville area.

Dan

fookisan:

Hi Mike and thanks for the info. Is it important to dive the yough dam with lower water? See anything UW there? I'm on the border of Ohio and WV. Wheeling / Stuebenville area.

Dan

Dan, actually it is better to dive it when the water is up. It gets to low to dive this time of year.

Pretty much just rocks and silt and some fish, lots of boat traffic. You can find stuff lost from the boats and sometimes find stuff in the swimming area.

It can also get pretty cold below 30 feet. But it is close, you can get wet and keep your skills in shape for the tropical dives.

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom