Your favourite Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

x-vison gets my vote too. it's the most comfortable and only leak free mask i've ever owned. Sentimental favorite, US Divers Pacifica circa 1977. It leaked too but has a gigantic purge and at $8 full retail who could complain....

RonDawg:
I agree. My $40 Deep See mask fits my face better than masks 2 or 3 times the price.
And I'm still wondering how we ever got to the point where a $40 mask is considered "cheap."

When you think about it, there's no reason why a truly excellent mask couldn't be made and sold for a profit at $30 - and I think they can be. The only reason the $40 mask costs $40 is that there are so many people willing to pay $100 for a $40 mask that there is no reason for the company selling a $40 mask to even think about cutting their price.

All of which is a long-winded way of saying what Rodale's has said several times in its mask review articles on scubadiving.com - they can review a couple of dozen masks costing from $40 to $150 and not see any real differences in quality of design, materials, or workmanship to explain the difference in price.

The most I have ever paid for a mask is about $70, and I only went that high because that mask fit better than a less expensive mask that I would otherwise have preferred (lower volume).

I just got a Mares X-vison, haven't tried it out yet though.

This has been a great thread to read in trying to decide on a new mask. Can anyone tell me advantages/disadvantages of switching from a single window to two windows? Does it make a difference in the view? Thank you :)

Hi ScubaTwo,

There might be a change in the view... for the worse. A two window mask would make a blind spot just in front of where your eyes meet due to the construction of the mask. If you are willing to put up with a bit more volume in your mask, a full window mask is great if you don't wear glasses.

Cheers,

SangP

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom