Your good experiences with sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nerobanchee

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
There are so many bad stories of shark encounters... Im sure there are WAY more good encounters. What are your stories?

Besides bumping the occasional sandshark in the surf in San Diego, I had the great experience swimming above a large leopard shark in La Jolla. I was only a little snorkeler back then, about 13. I was snorkeling with my dad next to a cave at the cove when he got my attention and pointed to a "large" leopard shark. It was so pretty! As soon as it noticed us though, it swam as fast as it could towards the kelp.
I also have seen angel sharks, lots of rays, and some egg sacs. Nothing big or hungry.

Three Whitetip Reefs in two dives at Catalina Islands in Costa Rica. All three were around 90 ft, and one was getting chased by a pair of big triggerfish. Probably swam through their nest.

Photographed two of them, and with one of the pics, it wasn't until I digitally enhanced the picture a bit that the school of yellowtails appeared in the background. :D

Although 99% of my spearfishing activities result in some heart pounding, air sucking, shark encounters, there is one event every year that is just a huge smile maker.

Each year in January, we get tens and tens of Lemon Sharks in Jupiter for their mating season. These 12 foot, 400 - 500 pound enourmous creatures are just fantastic to get up close with in a few feet and see how graceful they are as they cruise along the sand. If you ever get the chance to see this, it is a very rare and thrilling experience of a lifetime. This is a world class dive and you will be just blown away with excitement.

Had 2 -9 foot hammerheads circle me 2 times completely around in San Salvador. The one time I actually used a video camera and got it on tape. Awesome experience!

It was a few years ago in Turks and Caicos. We were doing a night dive, the plan was to pair up on the surface, head for the bottom, and then out on a particular compass bearing about 40 feet to the wall. Once we found the wall we were to descend to our intended depth and keep the wall on our right. We would turn on pressure, time, or a landmark so it was really relaxed.

We were only about 20 feet from the landmark, and nearing the time and pressure as well. There were two other buddy teams nearby as well. I was a few feet ahead and to the left of my buddy when his light waves like crazy and I hear him yell "OH S**T" (this was the first time I ever understood what anybody said underwater). I instantly turned to my right to see a 5 foot nurse shark swimming past me, It had swum right between his legs and below his torso.

His eyes were HUGE he was still yelling and waving his light! After the nurse shark got only a few feet away from him it turned and he was able to see it for what it was. It only took him a few seconds to start laughting. The buddy team about 20 feet ahead of us turned around and saw the shark and made OK signs. The other team nearby was actually on the other side of a rock formation so we only saw their lights.

When we got back to the boat the close buddy team thanked my buddy for pointing out the shark. We overheard another team talking about all the commotion at the turn point, and wondering what it was all about. After a few minutes we told them about the shark and we all had a good laugh.

Mark Vlahos

Here's a list of my good experiences with sharks while scuba diving...

Tiger sharks
Bull sharks
Lemon sharks
Silvertip sharks
Nurse sharks
Carribean Reef sharks
Grey Reef sharks
Blacktip sharks
Whitetip sharks

Last March during my first saltwater diving experiences, diving off West Caicos (Turks and Caicos), I had my first Shark encounters with Caribean Reef Sharks. Saw 4 in all over 2 dives there: 7-8 footers. And amongst these encounters, a wonderfull experience (at least for me; might seem boring to others).

On our 2nd dive, our group was first in the water. I start my descent, and at about 20-25 feet down (of a total 45 feet depth at the mooring), see a 7-8 foot reef shark in the distance (maybe 70-80 feet away). I love sharks so I just stay put hovering to observe him before he swims off. He then turns and slowly starts swimming in my general direction! I say to myself "Great, I might be able to see him a bit closer!" Then he veers slightly and heads straight for me, gently rising from the bottom to mid water where I am! He's getting closer and closer (still swimming slowly) and my heart starts pumping more and more! Then, when he's about 25-30 feet away, he veers ever so slightly and slowly swims by my left flank maybe 10-15 feet away! Not crazy close, but definetly close enough for me to see all the detail!

I know it's stupid, but all kinds of thoughts like being bitten, etc... went through my mind. Despite being a marine biologist and knowing better, all the Holywood hype and exageration still got to me a bit.

So I guess I was lucky to see such a beautifull fish, so close, in a natural context (not a shark feed). It was an adrenaline boosting, awe inspiring encounter with an amazing creature of the sea. That was my good encounter with sharks and I hope it wasn't the last!

one time i went to the Jacksonville Bar Association luncheon...

oh... never mind

H2Andy:
one time i went to the Jacksonville Bar Association luncheon...

oh... never mind

Cut it out! This thread is about good experiences............

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom