Your LDS : What should they stock?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just wish mine had more variety. There's maybe 6 choices for masks, 4 fins, 2 or 3 brands of wetsuit and almost nothing for extras like safety sausages, hoses, lights, etc. My guess is that they limit their stock given that this area of the country doesn't have a huge diving population and it's a smaller city, but I've been to a few shops in larger areas that make me drool.

One reason a number of shops don't carry a big variety is because some of the lines they carry don't allow them to. They have to get such large opening orders that's it's tough to bring in anything else. Some lines even dictate how much space can be given to a competing line. It also depends a good deal on what the rep wants to push. They will lie and use made up stats to get a shop to carry a particular item.

When I was publishing my new Tech Gear article I ran into a shop owner whose Aqualung rep told him that it is pretty much only east of Pennsylvania that people dive BPW's! West of that it's mostly jackets or variations of that! I asked him where he got that info. Sales figures I was told.

Another tactic is to charge exorbitant rates for ordering a special item. Some have rules that require the shop to only use their brand in rentals and student gear. Going afoul of these antiquated rules can cost a shop it's dealership.

One thing that I wanted the LDS I certed through to carry was BPW's and related items. He kept putting me off. I asked for a 7 ft hose and was asked why? None of your damn business. Just get me one. You don't need that. Ya know what, you're right. Not from you anyway. That and the BPW started my on line move away from that LDS. To the tune of oh, I'd guess around ten grand worth of sales over the next several years. Plus the air fills I started getting somewhere else and the training.

If its not a 365 day a year high volume diving location, the selection if going to be limited. Overhead costs too much to maintain the selection that would be best in our fantasy world. That is why the high volume internet places (many with a brick and mortar store too) can give you the selection. Likely they can move 500x the equipment my LDS can (likely 1 day at LP = 5 years at my LDS). With that volume, they get pricing that is amazing (think WalMart). Carrying more locally means more payments and overhead, and that equates to higher prices and ultimately bankruptcy.

You have to pick and choose when it is best to support your LDS, or support your financial situation. Each can be important at different times, and for different reasons. Quite frankly, I get what I want, be it local, or electronically. I've helped both sides. Nobody is a favorite. I'm the favorite......

[QUOTE Quite frankly, I get what I want, be it local, or electronically. I've helped both sides. Nobody is a favorite. I'm the favorite......[/QUOTE]

I've never understood the LDS loyalty thing. Having said that I do buy much of my gear from my LDS. But I buy the gear I want. If they stock it fine, otherwise I buy it elsewhere locally or Internet. Or I buy used. It's the LDS job to do what is best for them. I get that. It's my job to do what is best for me. Sometimes it works the same for both of us, sometimes not. But I'm not sacrificing my gear or dollars just to help support my LDS.

I've never understood the LDS loyalty thing. Having said that I do buy much of my gear from my LDS. But I buy the gear I want. If they stock it fine, otherwise I buy it elsewhere locally or Internet. Or I buy used. It's the LDS job to do what is best for them. I get that. It's my job to do what is best for me. Sometimes it works the same for both of us, sometimes not. But I'm not sacrificing my gear or dollars just to help support my LDS.

I got tanks from my LDS for about $5.00 more than from a big internet source. That was worth it to me to buy them locally.... That is what I mean. Truth be told, I need their compressor. If they go out of business, my diving gets tougher. I'm in a seasonal location that had local diving June to September and there aren't many shops within an hour drive. It gets tough for a shop here to survive.... I am part of the equation. No, I am not blindly loyal.....

Mr Lapenta, where do you get this nonsense from? One reason a number of shops don't carry a big variety is because some of the lines they carry don't allow them to. Some lines even dictate how much space can be given to a competing line. As a dive shop owner I can tell you it is illegal and stupid for a manufacturer to try and tell you what lines you can carry. And trying to tell me how much floor space I can allocate to another line, not unless they are paying my rent.

The reality is like any other business. You look at what manufacturer has to offer and try and find the brands that covers as much as possible. Brand x might have regs, bc, computer, and of course mask, snorkel fins. Brand y might be lacking in one or two of these products.Just like any other business you buy more of a certain brand you get better pricing so stock more of their gear. You sell what the customer needs and hopefully in the end you make enough to pay the bills and bring a few bucks home to the family. Same thing everyone else does when they go to work.

Mr Lapenta, where do you get this nonsense from? One reason a number of shops don't carry a big variety is because some of the lines they carry don't allow them to. Some lines even dictate how much space can be given to a competing line. As a dive shop owner I can tell you it is illegal and stupid for a manufacturer to try and tell you what lines you can carry. And trying to tell me how much floor space I can allocate to another line, not unless they are paying my rent.

The reality is like any other business. You look at what manufacturer has to offer and try and find the brands that covers as much as possible. Brand x might have regs, bc, computer, and of course mask, snorkel fins. Brand y might be lacking in one or two of these products.Just like any other business you buy more of a certain brand you get better pricing so stock more of their gear. You sell what the customer needs and hopefully in the end you make enough to pay the bills and bring a few bucks home to the family. Same thing everyone else does when they go to work.

It happens.......

Honestly, about the only thing I need from my local shop is good information. I buy most of my big items used via Scubaboard or Craigslist. If my LDS carries the basic "extras" like some double-enders for a reasonable price ($12-$15 is not reasonable) some SMBs and/or lift bags, and some fins/masks (preferably not in the $150-$200 range) then I'm good.

I like when a shop has knowledgeable staff that are helpful but not pushy. And they better not lie to me... that will end our relationship immediately. Luckily I've only been in one shop where the staff blatantly lied.

My last interaction with the local shop where I got my original OW cert was when I dropped off a set of doubles a week in advance of a trip to be filled with 32%. They came back with 2300 psi of 27.5% ( in LP 85s with the "+" rating) and to add insult to injury, they had removed my custom name stickers from Dive Signs in the UK and slapped on a pair of PADI Nitrox bumper stickers, for which they expected me to pay. (Everybody has a bad day, and when the owner gets around to apologizing, I'll be willing to let bygones be bygones, not that I'm holding my breath.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom