"Your pool, your rules" an Ocean Encounters tale

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is anyone else curious why a self-professed "Advanced Diver" needs a "Boat Diving" specialty certification?

It sounds like you were hoping they would staff the boat with a captain who was also an instructor so you wouldn't have to pay the course fee, no?

In any case, Brian and the team at OEW are fantastic folks to deal with. I'd love to hear from them directly on this one, my guess is it would be an enlightening story (also, providing the text of the actual emails vs. the arbitrary unformatted quoting might help as well). We'll be making yet another trip to visit them in just a couple of weeks.

I used actual text from the emails, copying and pasting a good bit. I need a fifth specialty for my master scuba diver rating. I had thought about the naturalist to be my fifth but I dive mainly in Ohio and will attempt to get it next year. The reason for wanting to do that particular one in Ohio is, I do most of my dives in fresh water, and would want to be able to identify to others later when instructing here. And as for OEW, I have heard nothing but excellent things about them (and to tell you the truth, with hindsight, I would have loved the opportunity to have stayed out west and dove with them), unfortunately I have been referring to OE, the main office by Lions Den. If you would like I could forward you all conversations I had with them.

Is anyone else curious why a self-professed "Advanced Diver" needs a "Boat Diving" specialty certification?

It sounds like you were hoping they would staff the boat with a captain who was also an instructor so you wouldn't have to pay the course fee, no?

In any case, Brian and the team at OEW are fantastic folks to deal with. I'd love to hear from them directly on this one, my guess is it would be an enlightening story (also, providing the text of the actual emails vs. the arbitrary unformatted quoting might help as well). We'll be making yet another trip to visit them in just a couple of weeks.

I just want to clarify that this occurred at Ocean Encounters, which is located downtown, not Ocean Encounters West, which is located in West Punt, so Bryan would not have had any involvment with it.

Bryan from OEW announced today that they changed their name to "Go West". He posted it on SB if you want to check it out. Looks like they improved the dock for the shore divers. He posted some pics of it and also said that none of their service would change with the name change.

I just want to clarify that this occurred at Ocean Encounters, which is located downtown, not Ocean Encounters West, which is located in West Punt, so Bryan would not have had any involvment with it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom