Yukon tangent thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First off I have to say thank you ... I've spent a great deal of time on ScubaBoard in the past 8-1/2 years, and thought I had read it all.

none have ever asked to actually see my C-card. Nor have I ever been had a requestion ... on a boat, dive shop, or resort ... to see my dive log. Why would they? A dive log is an easy thing to fake ... and since it's purely an optional device, a great many divers don't even keep one.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob,

I think TheEngineer has been blocked from further participation in this thread. For obvious reasons.

In so. Cal. the Truth boat, Lois Anne and Spectre all require to see your c-card. I was on the live aboard Caribbean Explorer II in May and at the beginning of the trip they took your c-card, any advanced cards and your DAN card for the week. Like you, I have never had to show a dive log but then I've not been on tech dives that have prerequisites.

Don

I tried to give some detailed information and a timeline that would have generated some valuable speculation. But that was ignored and people here went the opposite direction refusing to hear how things happened. It's like explaining something to children 100 times and knowing you are going to have to do it again.

But Joe with 10,000 posts and not even 100 dives and you not being a DM, I wouldn't expect you to understand this. As with most people in this thread you will need to go refer to a manual, magazine or another thread before you can figure it out. Try getting some dives under your belt. Getting off the computer and learning through real experience. It's a joke listening to someone offer opinions on diving who barely dives.

Seems like all the experts with a few hundred dives are coming out now to throw a stone and build up their # of posts. How do I get a PADI Forum Diver patch?

:baby:

Yes. Over an hour delay. Not alleged.

From my view and what I got from radio coms that day.

- Humboldt brought divers on board at the Yukon (most of them)
- Humboldt did partial SI at the Yukon
- Humboldt traveled to Ruby (passed other dive boat en route)
- Humboldt completed SI at Ruby (with time at Yukon and Ruby about an hour)
- Humboldt put divers in the water at Ruby E.
- Humboldt found out a diver was missing upon recovering divers at Ruby E and returned to Yukon

Has anyone ascertained as fact that the Humboldt did, in fact, complete the second dive on the Ruby E before returning to the Yukon?

Dave, people go on quests for lots of reasons. I'm curious if you have ever had a relationship with the Humboldt or their parent company, and if so, what it was? I ask because ... whatever the validity of your observations ... the manner in which you choose your words has all the hallmarks of a disgruntled ex-employee ... I'm wondering if that is, in fact, the case.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

It should be noted that disgruntled employees often have legitimate reasons to feel that way.

Last edited:
It should be noted that disgruntled employees often have legitimate reasons to fell that way.

... hence the qualifier in my comment ... that said, it helps to be able to put some context around the viewpoints being offered ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I agree completely, full disclosure is always best, hidden agendas suck big time.

Close enough to see almost everything and answer the MAYDAY. You have better information from your viewpoint? I guess I have to reiterate again since you didn't read. Closer than Ontario, Huachuca and Gulf Coast. But from there it's much easier to be a Monday morning quarterback and backseat driver and for some reason continue to ignore the play by play.

I can read just fine ...thank you for confirming that you were NOT actually at the scene and did not personally witness any of events that occurred at the actual time of the incident. From your proximal vantage point you can at best corroborate the reports that the Humboldt did in fact leave the accident site and then returned later. This is consistent with information that has already been reported in the media and acknowledged by the operator, but hardly new information.

moved to Basic Scuba Discussions ?
While it does have points that new divers should heed like diver counts, better buddy pairs and talking to other divers on the boat
this diver was not a basic scuba diver , he was solo, and maybe not as equipped as he should have been (which may have had nothing to do with the accident but maybe it did too)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom