Yup, another Canadian

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmm, you are the first person to make ice diving sound appealling. Please tell us more about what you see down there. I have loved the Norbert Wu photos from the polar diving expeditions. Who would have expected such fabulous sights!

Ah, the joys of being under the ice.

You would not believe the life or the viz.

Absolutely recommended. My tough choice this year is Frobisher Bay or the Galapagos......

Well, Thank you all for the "warm" welcome. It seems that a few of you have some interest in diving under the ice. To get you going, I'll pass on a little ritual that happens early in the winter around here. It's call the "first dunk" ice dive, and money is involved, so any gamblers on line will like this. The first dunk goes as follows.

When the ice has just formed on the lake, about 1 inch, we make our way to the lake and suit up. Everyone puts $10.00 cdn in the pot (that's about .50c American) and then draws a number. The number determines the order that you enter the lake. The one who makes it the farthest out on the ice before suddenly dropping into the "cool" waters below wins.

But the best part is to follow.

Once in the water, their are *no* rules! You can do what ever you want. Most tend to pick up a rock, and rise up under the next victim, err I mean participant, and smack the bottom of the ice with the rock. Causing the poor, dry, warm diver, to suddenly drop into the cold lake. Most soon to be wet participants have this look of fear mixed with anger, indicated by the raised middle finger directed to the diver below the ice. The raised middle finger directed towards the near transparent ice is also an indication to those on shore, that some evil dastardly diver is about to dunk a fellow diver at a point closer to shore. Thus ensuring their place as the winner. Needless to say most often the first one out on the ice is *almost* always the winner. However last year, the first to dunk was too slow in preventing the next brave soul from making it farther out on the ice than they had gone.

So that's it, the "first dunk" ice diving annual ritual.

Some may say that we have too much time on our hands, or that we have gone completely mad! I tend to think that the ice has merely frozen our brains, and we don't know any better. The laughter does warm us up during this right of passage, and I'll be out there again in late November, hoping to pull number 1.

Your first dunk ritual is too funny.... sounds like you guys have a fun time! Almost enough to get me interested in trying ice diving... almost but not quite! Just goes to show us Canucks will find something fun to do anytime of the year.

Hi Pt 40 fathoms:

This is too much! Only someone from the north country could of dreamed up something of that magitude.
I would love to joined in something like this. I especially love the part of no rules.. Sounds like alot of fun & diving in wintertime.
It also look's like i could come out ahead on this . $
Anyway, good luck to you for having such geat fun..... ilmao

P.S. Does this apply to Lake Erie::wink:

It's cold, but it's fun. It kinda evolved over the years I here, starting out a few years ago as a dare, now it's an annual event.

As for Lake Erie, I'm not sure if any dive club, or local divers, have any annual event in the winter. As for out here, the lake we choose is called West Hawk Lake. Geologists say it was formed 170,000 years ago when a large meteor hit and left a 300 ft deep crater. Now filled with water. You have to dive to 110 ft to see the rim of the crater though, as the crater is in the middle of the lake. Every year at least one group of tech divers explore the "bottom" of the lake. Not much down their, except for the usual stuff,,,giant fish, lake monsters, and Jimmy Hoffa of course.

Originally posted by pt40fathoms
. . . Every year at least one group of tech divers explore the "bottom" of the lake. Not much down their, except for the usual stuff,,,giant fish, lake monsters, and Jimmy Hoffa of course.

Too funny! If you're every in my neck of the woods, I'll make sure you can discover our "usual stuff".... sunken villages, big muskies and sturgeons and the odd booze/cigarette smuggler. Sorry though, not going to offer these wonderous sites when there's ice - you'll just have to suffer with the usual soft fresh water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom