Zak Jones

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello all, sorry for wandering late into this thread. I'd like to take this thread back into a positive swing and place the focus back on to Zak's great nature and character. I'm an instructor at Pro Dive and was a co-worker of Zak's. I'd like to share a couple stories of my own.

Zak and I started working at Pro Dive right about the same time, him being hired a week before me. He was brought in as the operation's newest Course Director and myself as an another instructor for the shop. The first thing I noticed about him that really struck me was his ability to just immediately mesh with the people around him. The first time I met him was when he'd walked into the shop to say hello on my first day. He told me how glad he was that i'd been hired, simply because it meant he was no longer the FNG (***kin' New Guy). But right off the bat it amazed me how he just seemed to get along so well with everyone and it seemed like he'd known everyone for years. Over the months of working with him it became obvious that it was just a natural gift he had. He posessed an amzingly good natured spirit that everybody wanted a piece of. We all fed off it and it was apparent that he raised the spirits of every social situation he walked into.....whether it be among the rest of the staff, his students, or whatever group of us would happen to be across the street at the Treasure Trove for some post work hours refreshment.
Being that Zak worked in the Training Department and I was either in the shop of on the boat, I didn't get to work as closely with him as I would have liked. But I can still think of certain memories that stand out in my mind from him. Aside from his obvious social gifts, he had a great penchant for good natured teasing and ribbing. Not too long ago I had been reading a couple of books about sharks, one of them sepcifically about shark attacks on man. For about a week these books had me a little jittery about doing tie-offs from the boat....an duty that a boat crewman does alone. I should've kept my mouth shut about and just gone about my business but I mentioned the effect my imagination was having on me. It got around the shop quickly quickly and when Zak found out he was on me in an instant one day when we were on the boat together. "OH MY GOD! Dave I can't believe this! You're a freakin instructor and you're afraid of sharks!? I tell you what man, you may as well hand in your balls right now! You're unworthy". Throughout the day was on me about it. "Dave I just saw a big Bull shark down there, you better be careful when you go down to untie". He even got his students in on it. They were all talking about what a huge Bull shark they saw patrolling down there.
Another time he was teasing Ian about Skydiving when they were on the boat. Ian was really into skydiving for a while and Zak loved to tease him about it. "C'mon Ian, a chimpanzee could be trained to jump out of an airplane and pull a cord! That's not a man's sport!". Ian just kept quiet and took it. Later on Zak had taken a piece of tape and wrote "And Skydivers" on it and put it beneath the sign on the women's head (bathroom). So later on when Ian was doing his boat cleanups he walked by and noticed the sign on the women's head that now read "Women and skydivers". Ian loved it.
One of the last days on the boat that Zak and I had together we were diving the wreck of the Mercedes (I think). Near the end of the dive I was on my way up the ascent line and saw Zak's class in a big clump of humanity. My first thought was "why the heck aren't these giving the rest of us some room on the line?". Then I saw what was going on. Zak had happened to find an anchor at the bottom that was in pretty good condition and being a diver with a history of search and recovery he naturally wanted to bring it up. He happened to have Garrett's lift bag on him so he started up the line with this big anchor attached to a lift bag. Zak was clearly pleased with himself and it was apparent even underwater, and the class naturally wanted a piece of his enthusiasm......as most people did who spent any time around him. So after the dive we were back onboard and Zak was just going on and on about this anchor. And his class was just congregating around him and this anchor. Everyone was just having a great time
Another thing was completely apparent about Zak......he was a complete carbon copy of his father Dave. Once we all met Dave he also becamse an instant part of the family and was just as much fun to be around as his son. It was easy to see where Zak had gotten it. Alot of times after a dive we'd see Dave and Cathy at the Treasure Trove and Zak was nowhere to be found. So we'd all hang out with Dave, after all he and Zak had pretty much the same personality. Another thing about Zak was his ability to tell a story. He's one of the most animated story tellers i've met and alot of times it wouldn't matter what subject was brought into a discussion, because Zak usually had a really great story to add to the conversation. It was always such a pleasure listening to him tell his stories. And now when the staff will reminisce about him and all the funny stories he'd tell you just can't help smiling because you can just picture Zak telling it. You can picture the way he'd tell it.....which makes it all the better.
There so many funny things he's said and done is his short time here that could easily fill a book. I just wanted to relay a few of my own experiences that stand out in my mind and express my gratitude at having known him and been around him.

There are few times in life when you stumble upon someone that changes your live and how you see life to be. Zak was one of those times in my life. We, my wife and I knew zak from a young boy, to a student, to a family member, thru to his marriage to Robyn. Like all things that had happen with Zak.
My wife and I were very proud of him and would have given him the world even thought he was not our son that part didn't matter to either myself or Laurie. Things changed and within a flash our world as we knew it was destroyed. To my wife Zak was the closes thing she had to a son of her own and now is gone. Zak was every thing to us. So with that I want to make a full apology to all of the people who read my thread regarding the quote of "dragging information out" please forgive me and try to understand one thing, this is a place where we come to remember the person and tell stories of that person so we all may feel each and everyones loss together. I misused this forum to vent my lack of patience. To you robyn more than anything please try to forgive me for that statement, because if wasn't for a Zak bringing you into our lives Laurie and I would have never had the chance to meet the woman that Zak loved so much.
You are right when it comes to your statement that I don't know, but I do want to know. Not because I want to blame anyone or anything and surely not for conversation piece either, just because of what Zak meant to me. Again this forum is meant to used as a place where we unite not to cast stones.

Lastly to all who has been following this enitre process please forgive me as well.

I keep revisiting this post, but noticed that there hasn't been any activity for a couple of months. Have there been any more news releases by ProDive that can answer the questions as to the cause of Zak's premature death? I was just hopeful that some information could benefit the entire dive community and prevent a loss like this from happening again. Reading the posts, I really wish I'd had the opportunity to meet and dive with Zak. Ken Lust :42:

WetDawg:
Saw this today on line:

Diver's 2005 death ruled accidental

A sad footnote to an extraordinary life.

Thanx WD.

I was really beginning to think we'd here nothing more.. not that it really matters to me. I miss Zak and nothing they tell me could change that. Never the less, information is welcome. This story really doesn't tell us anything we didn't already know.. Of course it was an accident?

I knew Zak when he worked for Underwater Sports managing the Everett WA store. I have a lot of admiration for Zak. He was truly one of a kind and a "people person" to say the least. Zak was 15 years younger than me but I did learn alot from him, not just about diving either. The guy was just so positive and spontaneous he lifted everybody up. I moved away from the Seattle area 5 years ago and Zak moved on too it sounds like.
I just recently learned about his death when I called Underwater sports to order some equipment and I asked about Zak. Reluctently I was told about the accident. Though its been years and many miles I feel a loss. Robyn, God bless you.

There is not a day that passes that I don't think about Zak. Everytime I look at the water I remember our first dive encounter. It is now coming upon the one year anniversary of the lost of Zak. while that day is to give thanks for all we have in our life I am sure we all we stop and say a prayer for Zak and for his family. I miss you Zak, I wish we could have talked one more time under better conditions there are so many things I wanted to say to you with the hopes you of all people may have understood. I am sorry for not having the chance to do that.
I know thanksgiving will never be the same for me as will it be for all the others you touched while you were here with us. Rest in Peace Zak I miss you terribily.

I think about him often. when i seem to get into a rut and am not connecting with my students i think about how zak taught and it gets me enthusiastic and pulls me out of it. he is still there helping me be a better instructor. thanks zak and god bless your loved ones.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom