Zak Jones

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was Zak’s room mate in California when he was doing his CDTC in 2001 in California.

I have to tell you; during those two weeks of PADI Hell camp I learned a lot of things from him. I’m still amazed that a 41 year old, who thought he knew a lot about diving, was humbled by a 25 year kid from Seattle.
We were a perfect match for those two weeks because he would bring me up when I was down and I’d slow him down when he was running high on adrenalin those two weeks. I never saw someone with so much positive energy running continually.

I also learned about his two greatest passions in life, Robyn and his technical diving. I got to know Robyn as if I'd known her for years just threw Zak’s stories without even meeting her. I also learned more about re-breathers than I believe anyone could possibly know. He opened up a world to me that I thought was impossible. Even though I didn’t follow him into the tech world, I thank him every time I taught an IDC because of what he taught me. I can answer my student’s questions with knowledge I originally received from him. It’s amazing how one persons presence can touch so many.

I was always delighted when I got his emails about the trips and adventures he and Robyn were both on over the past couple of years. I also was happy to talk with him the CDTC group got together at our few reunions during DEMA and other dive shows we jointly attended.

Zak was a member of the PADI ‘Purple *******s’ (PB #1), the name we gave ourselves for those two weeks in August of 2001 attending the CDTC at PADI Headquarters. Between him and Luke, they came up with the name. With a little convincing with PADI management, we were able to keep the name and proudly use it. 8 perfect strangers from all over the world, Italy, Canada, the US and even Texas united for a common goal for those two weeks. Zak was a strong component for those two weeks by keeping everyone together and on track to pass the course. His sense of humour was matched by no other. PADI Management will NEVER forget the PB's for many years to come.

We were so proud of our group 'names' that Zak suggested to present PADI with a copy of the t-shirt artwork we had made up for the group. And to this day James Morgan at PADI confirms it is still hanging in their Educational department wall in California.

Running into 6 of our group during DEMA this year was a bit of a downer knowing that Zak wasn't going to be there. A few of them were unaware of Zak's passing. Breaking the news to them was not great. We all missed him greatly this year and hoped that where ever his spirit is, he's happy and diving every day.

I know he will sorely be missed by the 7 remaining members of the ‘Purple *******s’ of 2001 CDTC.

Brian H. Wake (PB #8)
CD201745

"No bubble is so iridescent or floats longer than that blown by the successful teacher."
Sir William Osler (1849-1919),

Zac was taken way too quickly, way too early, way too unfairly. Life here is like that sometimes. But for those of you who knew and loved Zac (redundant, huh?), I have 3 wishes for you:

That time has done its magic and taken away the intense, probably physical, pain of your loss and replaced it with a dull ache that's a testiment to how much you loved Zac and you wouldn't trade for a thousand days of sheer bliss,

That you have places in your mind where you can go to pull out memories of Zac to hold and smile over,

That you have been able to resist the urge to love and be vulnerable again for fear of future loss.

I hope it is a comfort to you all that you do not mourn and remember alone, that there are so many of you who loved Zac and that even strangers mourn.

That is a very interesting article..it was just published Thursday.

As someone who is researching rebreathers and is interested in them, I find that article very interesting on many levels. I am about to turn 30 so it weighs on me a little bit seeing Zak was 30 when this occurred.

There is definitely a mature adult decision to be made when you pursue rebreathers.

I hope those who seek answers find a little more information from that article.

J

jepuskar:
That is a very interesting article..it was just published Thursday.

As someone who is researching rebreathers and is interested in them, I find that article very interesting on many levels. I am about to turn 30 so it weighs on me a little bit seeing Zak was 30 when this occurred.

There is definitely a mature adult decision to be made when you pursue rebreathers.

I hope those who seek answers find a little more information from that article.

J

You have to put things in perspective.. Zak was an experienced diver but NOT an experienced RB diver.. I personally feel he was also diving beyond what his experience on a RB should have dictated.. IF just a few of the "facts" from the article are true he could not have followed basic predive checks and diver error has to be blamed not RB error, nor the people/boat he was diving with.

In many case the more experienced the diver is at OC the worse RB diver they make.. These cases usually dictate the highly experienced OC diver give up (or use as little as possible) OC rather than switch back and forth between technologies..

Once I started using a CCR, I didn't do an OC diver for over 4 years with the exception of teaching BOW classes..

Hey Joe,

I realize that the majority of fatalities on a RB are human error/complacency. With that said someone in my position needs to understand that and never forget it... That article was just very surprising to read...and thats if only some of that is true....I cant imagine going down with your bailout bottle missing a first stage....that just doesnt sound right.

J

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom