Zak Jones

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

More information has appeared through a press release.

I am only reporting this information, not commenting or making judgment, other than to say it is a shame that the Miami press did not previously report more accurately. Thank you to the Pro Dive folks.

"Fatal dive: company puts record straight

A top professional scuba instructor has died off Fort Lauderdale in the USA - and some reported facts about the incident need correcting, the diver's employer has said.

Zak Jones, 30, a PADI Course Director with Fort Lauderdale's Pro Dive International, was leisure diving with other staff members from the company's dive boat, Pro Diver II.

He lost consciousness after descending with a buddy, was sent to the surface and recovered aboard the boat. He was transferred by a US Coast Guard vessel ashore, where he was taken to hospital. Despite the efforts of paramedics, he could not be saved.

Based on Coast Guard information, US web media has reported that the divers were "each equipped with three scuba tanks", which implies the use of open-circuit scuba. But Frank Gernert, Pro Dive International CEO, has told Divernet that Jones "was using a closed-circuit rebreather, and the only diver using such".

The Coast Guard is reported to have said that, a few minutes after the divers separated at a depth of 46m to explore a reef, "Mr Jones' dive partner turned and found Mr Jones struggling as if he were entangled in his tank lines". When the buddy reached Jones, he was "unconscious with the regulator out of his mouth".

Gernert has confirmed that "Zak went into unconsciousness at depth and never recovered". But, regarding what the buddy saw, he told Divernet: "Zak was never noticed struggling or in any distressful manner. However, after he presumably lost consciousness, he descended approximately 47ft (14m) and became entangled in material unrelated to his life support or actual scuba gear."

Other reported details of the incident are not disputed. The buddy is reported to have set Jones to ascend quickly, following more slowly to avoid decompression illness. He administered first aid upon rejoining Jones at the surface, until Jones could be recovered aboard. CPR continued on the dive boat until the rescue services arrived within 15 minutes.

A police investigation is being conducted into the incident.

Zak Jones was a popular figure in Fort Lauderdale's sports scuba scene, and was a highly respected technical diver. In addition to his PADI course directorship, he was qualified at instructor trainer level for trimix and rebreather diving.

At the time of his death, Jones was using his rebreather, a Megalodon, in a private capacity. Pro Dive International does not offer rebreather training or diving.

The company has, via its website, set up a fund for donations in support of Jones' widow, Robyn."

Link to Site

JGibeault:
I don't remember the tank rodeo. Please explain. I was in his classes recently also, but don't remember this.

I dont know how you could be in a ProDive class with Zak and not know the Rodeo. I was fortunate enough to be in one of Zak's first IDC's at ProDIve. Zak brought with him from Seatle, "the rodeo" which caught on like wildfire.

For those of you who don't know, here it is:

Basically, a manuver where you sneak up behind another (while on a dive) without being detected. You grab the tank valve with one hand, straddle the tank with your knees and wave your free hand around wildly, riding the diver like a bull. Many of us on here have been donors and recipients of the rodeo by Zak, and others.

Once, while on a training dive, I spotted Zak picking up his equiptment from a Peak Performance Buyancy class. Since he was pre-occupied, I was able to sneak up behind him and managed to rodeo him for several seconds. The details after that are hazy, since Zak expertly escaped from my rodeo, and stripped me of my reg, mask, fins, and was working on my weight belt. Thankfully, I managed to escape, before he took my virginity too.

By the end of our IDC, you could not do a saftey stop without observing or being a participant in a rodeo. Divers (Woody) were even removing their own BC's and rodeoing themselves! This action once prompted a scolding from a freelance instructor who will from now on be known on the ProDiver II as "the fun police."

I'm sure as I'm writing this it sounds dangerous as hell, or careless, but it was all in good fun. Zak's instruction made us all like dolphins in the water and gave us the confidence, skill and ability to goof off like this.

Good times. Thanks Zak, for the good times in the water and at the Trove. I will now teach the Rodeo to all my students.

hahaha! Right on Tony...good to see you on the forum!

My first Openwater class of my new career I had 12 students in it. One of those new divers was Zak Jones. From the very first day of class I couldn’t get word in edgewise without Zak asking “when can we go to the pool and start diving?” From that moment on I knew he was going to be a handful and I would have nothing but trouble with that young boy. Those who knew Zak can relate to this part of the story.
Zak would walk into my class and it was like a hurricane blowing through, his voice so loud and his laughter just as loud. Well, one couldn’t think much less get a lesson in. Like so many things Zak took to the lessons and to the water like a fish and never looked back from that first class.
Zak was very much part of our family as a son, a beloved son. When I had a dive job in Kodiak Alaska some years later Zak came up there to learn the how to be an underwater inspector, as I was for my company. Zak took to the commercial diving gear Just as he did everything with great excitement, he absolutely loved it and I couldn’t get him out of the gear long enough for me to finish my work. That was one of the greatest trips I had with Zak. I have many more fond memories and diving adventures we did together but those are for another place and time.
Throughout the next years we watched Zak grow into a man and we were so very proud of what he had accomplished in the diving industry. My life with Zak will forever be touched just as it was from the very first time our family met him and his family. I’m so very proud of you Zak not only through life but after life as well, for you have touched so many people along your journey through this world that you will always be remembered in the kindest of ways. This world will be much quieter place now without your laughter and that smile that could light a dark room. May we meet again and share our dive stories as we once did not so long ago.
To all who knew Zak knew his love for the sport and may we all live like Zak did. Knowing that no matter where we dive that he is looking over our shoulder as a true leader he was.

Psdiver99: Your Post sums up Zak and his great ability to live life so fully each day. As you mentioned Zak's wide smile would always light up any room. His great energy and positive spirit will live on. I am sure he is looking over our shoulders and encouraging us to get out there and dive, and live, and have fun. Zak was fortunate to have you as a first instructor.

This is such terrible and tragic news...

Zak was a great guy, fun loving, and happy. The Diver's Fair at Underwater Sports in Seattle was always a little more fun, and the day went by a little faster due to Zak on the mic - telling jokes, laughing, and making sure everyone had a good time.

Our thoughts and prayers are with Zaks wife and family.

Scott

Psdiver99:
My first Openwater class of my new career I had 12 students in it. One of those new divers was Zak Jones.

:laughing: I can't even begin to imagne what that was like and the stories you could tell...

I remember Zak had given us the task of grading his presentation (the 1-5 thing), I'll never forget when someone had given him a 4.8 for forgetting something. Oh man, what a conversation that was. I still have my scoring card I did on him and it makes me laugh. The cool thing he did (at least I thought so) was to put himself out there on a limb. At first I thought he was just being a show off, we didn't need to know he was great, we ALL already knew that much. I started to catch on what he was actually doing. He was totally breaking down the grading process for us.... Brilliant!!! Absolutely Brilliant!

These anecdotes are great, and I certainly have my own memories of Zak, though of an era before he arrived in Fort Lauderdale.

Yet still no-one will tell us what happened. Why?

I hate for this to sound like the party line, but the investigation is still under way. I don't know if they've flown in the manufacturer of his equipment yet, but that needed to be done. Frank has said he will post the findings when they become official and I think us locals won't let him forget about it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom