Zeagle Backplate for DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Andy Smith

Registered
Reaction score
Help me!

I have got a zeagle tech wing and want to convert it to a DIR set up. My main sticking point is getting a back plate as it seems in the U.K. that this can not be sourced in fact apart from America I can't get one anywhere!

I am even struggling to find a internet site to purchase one from America!?

That said does anyone out there know if I can use another type of backplate and modify it to suit? or better still does anyone have the dimensions for the zeagle back plate as I have the facility to fabricate one. I appologise if I have put this in the wrong area (not under DIY) but I thought you guys and girls would have more awnsers and may have been in the same predicament!

Regards Andy

Hi Andy

Not (yet) being a disciple of DIR, I can't help you on the finer details of the system.

But you might want to check if you can fit your set with a BP from another manufacturer. (Halcyon, Dive Rite, OMS, Oxycheq). I've heard FredT makes custom BPs at a reasonable rate. (he's a member here at SB)

some links:
Extreme Exposure
Dive Rite Express
Fifth Dimension
Halcyon

I'm sure some of the old hands will have more information for you, but this might get you started.

Steve

Yeah
I am just learnign about BP/W systems as well, but my impression is that your efforts to convert a conventional BC may still result in a less than desireable system.

If you are truly looking into the DIR direction, I think you will get plenty of feedback that there is a lot more keeping the Zeagle from being DIR than just the absence of the backplate.

JAG

and A very nice one at that.
Pm me I'l put you in touch with some one that will set you up.
The shipping might be a bit exspensive.

Here is a dealer on your side of the pond.

BOWSTONE DIVING PRODUCTS LTD
MILL.UPPER HIBBERT LANE
MARPLE STOCKPORT
SK6 7HX CHESHIRE
ENGLAND
Phone: 44 161 484 5443
I found it on the Zeagle Web site.
www.zeagle.com
Fred

Fred

Andy Smith:
Help me!

I have got a zeagle tech wing and want to convert it to a DIR set up. My main sticking point is getting a back plate as it seems in the U.K. that this can not be sourced in fact apart from America I can't get one anywhere!

I am even struggling to find a internet site to purchase one from America!?

That said does anyone out there know if I can use another type of backplate and modify it to suit? or better still does anyone have the dimensions for the zeagle back plate as I have the facility to fabricate one. I appologise if I have put this in the wrong area (not under DIY) but I thought you guys and girls would have more awnsers and may have been in the same predicament!

Regards Andy

Andy,
I went through a similar experience with a Ranger that I had bought a couple of months ago. I decided that I wanted to put a BP on it and make it more DIR like. I took the wing off of the harness system and when I did, (I'm not an engineer) I looked at it carefully with a DIR wannabee mindset, I saw failure points. Not sure quite how to describe it, but I assume that the tech wing is similar to the ranger in that it has four mounting points.
Getting a plate through my LDS sounded to be time consuming and a hassle.
Upshot is that I decided to go with another brand that is a true DIR setup. It has also allowed me to go with a 10 lb BP and a 6 lb STA. which are features that seemed difficult if not impossible to get through Zeagle.
Try Fred T he may be able help better than Zeagle.

Rignt now I'm diving with a 44lb zeagle ranger wing on an OMS backplate, single tank without an STA. It works. I'm guessing that your tech wing is similar, probably bigger, but I haven't seen one so I don't know. My ranger wing is attached to the plate with a pair of 2" straps in the middle, a small strap on each side, and there's a pair of loops at the top that the shoulder straps pass through.

-Tiny-B.

You could conceivably just drill 4 holes in any BP and bolt the wing with those 4 attachments - this is pretty much all the zeagle wing needs. I'm not sure if this is the most stable system you could use but from what I can tell this is the main difference between the zeagle plate and the others

Thanks alot guys this has opened up a multitude of options for me and hopefully I will get closer to getting the desired result. I would also like to say what a trully amazing site this is bringing together the scuba community from every walk of life and with so much knowledge and experience being used to aid others...............without whom I would be ripping chunks of my hair out!!!

Andy Smith:
without whom I would be ripping chunks of my hair out!!!

Been there and done it. That's why I'm going the DIR route. Good Luck on your journey.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom