Zeagle: Ranger or Brigade ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Brigade has one dump valve on the bottom of the bladder. The roll down pocket is a little pouch that you roll up and velcro when not in use. I never use it and forgot I had it.

If I am thinking right the older Rangers had the roll down pocket

Skyjunky:
I never use it and forgot I had it.
So did I until I dove a FFM. Turns out it's a perfect fit foe a small backup mask, so that's what I've used it for ever since.

Kawboy, as Zeagle BCDs are among the most versatile on the market, there are a variety of pockets you can use as you see fit. Some of them bolt on, others slide on, and on the Ranger one rolls down when needed.

If you descend feet first then all the air is going to be at the TOP of the bladder where the dump valve is, there is no place else that it can go.

There's just one problem with your statement. The dump valve on the Ranger is near the top, but not at the top. That's the design flaw.

Walter:
There's just one problem with your statement. The dump valve on the Ranger is near the top, but not at the top. That's the design flaw.

hmmm... I guess I shouldn't be commenting on the Ranger bladder since I don't own one. Now for the Brigade, the valve is about 1/2" away from being as far up as it can go. To get technical the dump valve itself is positioned, and possibly designed, to be the highgest point on the bladder.
All above facts are assuming that you are descending feet first or at least at enough of an incline so that the dump valve is the highest point on the BC bladder.

I guess that makes the Brigade and the Escape a better design than the Ranger.

I also seriously doubt that what little air that you might trap in a Ranger bladder at the top, if it is actually designed differently, would cause any problem.

Sorry for the delayed response - we did not have power all day yesterday, and part of today! (damn hurricanes...)

The Ranger bladder and the Escape bladder has the shoulder dump in the exact same place. If you have no trouble dumping one, the other shouldn't be a problem either.

Scott

I've owned both for about 3 years, travel with the Escape, quarry dive with the Ranger. Here's what I've found. In both cases, thoroughly wet the BC's or just be patient for a moment on the surface to let the little bubbles escape from the woven material.

If you wear the Ranger or Escape too low on your trunk, and retain it at that low height, either with the elastic panels under your tummy or with a crotch strap, the bladder vent port on me will be almost vertical with some wing material above the vent. Wear it somewhat higher, and in my opinion, correctly (look at their picture and find the top of your hip bone for the lowest point the jacket should reach), and the valve on me comes over a bit and (6', medium/medium BC) is about at the top of the wing when I'm in the water. Lean a little to the right and back a bit, it empties well.

Now, here's an experiment which will trap some air, on the Ranger only, and in the outer bag around the bladder. On the surface, as you exit the water, fully inflate the wing (drives the water out of the outer bag), then partially deflate it while out of the water, say, to the point where the bladder is slack but the outer shell retains some shape.

Now enter the water, gently, if you want to see what happens. Vent the bladder while near the edge of the pool and ask a buddy to look at your BC - it doesn't always work but from time to time, I've found some air between the inner bladder and the outer cover, if you're leaning forward, it wont quickly exhaust through the zipper. If you pike and descend head first, it'll vent through the bottom of the cover through the drain holes there but you'll seem a bit bouyant till it does.

At least my buddy has commented on that nice bubble I have there.

Two solutions, enter the water with a fairly full wing so there's no slack space between the bladder and outer cover, blow air, and away you go; second, lean back, relax, deflate, roll and pitch a little, and that air will vent.

Just my .02 worth

Sincerely,

Bill

ScottZeagle:
Sorry for the delayed response - we did not have power all day yesterday, and part of today! (damn hurricanes...)

The Ranger bladder and the Escape bladder has the shoulder dump in the exact same place. If you have no trouble dumping one, the other shouldn't be a problem either.

Scott

I bought the Concept II Pro (it has no pockets and the harness is made up of different parts so it fits very well) when it came out because it had the rip cord weight dump and was more streamlined than the Ranger I had been diving for 6 years. I then bought the single walled Escape bladder which I switch out for tropical travel. Two BCs a price cheaper than buying a second BC, works for me. Besides I can’t dive two BC at the same time and with the Zeagle I don’t feel I need a backup.

The Brigade sound great, its good zeagle will work with thier customers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom