Zeagle: Ranger or Brigade ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Ranger is poorly designed, IMHO. It traps air. A poor choice, I don't know about the Brigade, but if it has a similar design, I'd stay away from it.

Walter:
The Ranger is poorly designed, IMHO. It traps air.

Define "traps air" for us newbies.

I tried a total of 4 different back inflate BCs. In every case I've had to tilt my body to direct air out of the exhaust valve -- that is unless the bladder had a good amount of air in it.

If that's what you mean, then I'd have to say the Brigade traps air too. But then again it doesn't seem to be unique. And then again I may be missing the point.

The Ranger BC has a remote dump at the shoulder, and one OPV at the bottom of each side of the bladder, with a knob you can pull to dump air if you are in a "head down" position. Perhaps a new diver might have a learning curve, but there is no legitimate reason why it should trap air, if used properly.

Scott

ScottZeagle:
We actually DO have a ripcord weight system that can be added to our backplate. It is part # 519-WS130RC.
I know. But a harness can be donned/doffed and hauled around seperately from the BC or bp/w which makes it easier and more comfortable on a boat. Great for loading and carrying from and to the site, or in my case hanging from a roller bag. It also means you can unmount UW and push whatever BCD/tank ahead through tight spaces without loosing all bouyancy control. :wink:

oh here we go with the BP issue. Can't anyone not mention a BP when the guy clearly said he didn't want one?

Walter's comment was probably based on a BP versus BC...just my guess

You guessed incorrectly. I use a Scubapro Classic Sport. BTW, one doesn't normally use a BP alone, but in conjunction with a wing. The wing is a BC.

Most divers are taught to descend vertically feet down. Right, wrong or indifferent that's the reality. The Ranger traps air in that position. It is possible to dump that air by descending feet first if you lean back at a 45° angle to place the hose at the uppermost point. Another possibility is to use the dump valves at the bottom of the BC if you are horizontal. Yet another possibility is to have a buddy squeeze the bladder to move the air to the dump valve. Of course, what most Ranger users do is simply overweight themselves.

I never said the Ranger was unique in trapping air. OTOH, there are BCs which do not.

Walter:
... The Ranger traps air in that position. ... what most Ranger users do is simply overweight themselves.
Never had that problem. The only time every single lower dump valve, horseshoe shaped bladder traps air is when you're facing head down ... rather unusual when ascending.

6'2", 195#, 7mm wetsuit with 7mm hooded vest 14# lead
shell drysuit with thick underwear 18#

Walter you have lost me. If you descend feet first then all the air is going to be at the TOP of the bladder where the dump valve is, there is no place else that it can go. I have never seen anyone using ANY BC descend head first, unless they intended to, so trapping air on descention seems not an issue. As for being horizontal, I still don't see trapping air since you have a valve at the bottom of the bladder.

I might see trapping air being an issue IF you have very little air pressure in the bladder. I still don't think that would be a problem since the water pressure would be greater than the air pressure and the water would force it out. That is the way it works even at the surface, more or less.

If simply repositioning your body so that the air can rise to a valve is a GREAT inconvenience then you don't need to be diving....I don't mean this directly Walter.

ScottZeagle:
The Ranger BC has a remote dump at the shoulder, and one OPV at the bottom of each side of the bladder, with a knob you can pull to dump air if you are in a "head down" position. Perhaps a new diver might have a learning curve, but there is no legitimate reason why it should trap air, if used properly.

Scott

Ive used the ranger, and really like it. Does the brigade have the two dump valves at the bottom of the bladder as well? Oh and one more thing: what is the difference between the "roll down" utility pockets and the standard ones?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom