Zeagle Ranger or Ranger LTD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dkiely

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm hanging up my old Seaquest BCD and getting a Zeagle. I'm torn between the Ranger and the Ranger LTD. I've seen the Ranger in person and tried it on and it fits great. I'm guessing the ranger LTD would fit pretty much the same although it is a little bit heavier. I like that the LTD has a dump valve on the right shoulder and comes with Zeagles zip mount built in. If I get the regular Ranger I'd be adding the Zip Mount. The LTD also comes with Zeagles yellow weight pouches which I'd be adding to the Ranger if I went that way. My concern mainly is the fit, the LTD looks like it has a little different harness/buckle set up. Also I like that the add on Zip Mount for the ranger looks like it sits closer to the inside of the bladder, and from what I can tell the Zip Mount is built into the LTD but towards the outside of the bladder.

I was recently certified as a Divemaster, I'm not sure if I want to continue into instructor level certifications but I do really want to get into tech and extended range diving, but it looks like both BCDs would serve that purpose.

I was thinking about ordering it from Zeagle with red panels rather than the regular black, but I was kinda worried that they would fade in a couple years and start to look more pink, anyone have any experience with Zeagles color panels long term?

Thanks for the input!

-David

I have an LTD but the previous generation which is just like the current Ranger. I only use the Utility Pocket to carry a soft-skirt mask and SMB and can feel it slightly against my side when I dive. I would never get the pony bottle mount or anything fatter like that since you'd know it the whole dive. Even Zeagle only recommends a 6cuft. bottle. Since my pocket is pretty flat and square - the mask just fits - when I don it the mask is sort of trapped between my back and the backpad of the BCD so it doesn't move much. Yet I can twist it forward on the zip mount to get to the pocket without a problem.

My buddy has the standard Ranger and added a lumbar pad. I don't see a heck of a lot of other differences between his and mine except for the zip mount. Of course mine doesn't have the swivel buckles so I have no idea if there's a comfort difference with the new LTD. Mine is pretty damn comfortable and I do some shore diving where there's a fairly good walk while all geared up without any problems. People can mock lumbar pads all they want but I'll take the 1 lb. of extra weight to keep the tank from slamming into my spine as the bottom of it hits the water during a giant stride. Every time...

It might just be the picture or the color but looking at the Ranger vs. the LTD on the Zeagle site, to me the pockets/weight pockets behind them on the front look taller and thinner on the new LTD. Scubatoys or Capt. Gene at Zeagle Express probably know if you're somewhere you can't see one in person.

You're situation may be different since you plan to do more than rec. diving but if I had to do it over again I would just buy a Ranger. I sometimes forget to zip the mask pocket on until several days into a trip so it's not like I've ever needed it.

I'd buy the weight bags though - there's an internal divider that keeps bullet weights from shifting around and very infrequently I use a 3/8" lead ball shot loose in the pockets since I can finetune my weighting. Also the handles are very convenient - I fold them forward so when I start to un-zip the pockets they're the first thing I feel before the weights could fall out. And the boat crew appreciates the grab point also - much more so than other weight systems with their smooth sides and plastic handles.

I don't exactly know how to explain it but as configured both the zipper and the pocket ride inside of the wing in the space between the wing and your body. And are mostly covered by the little flap that says Zeagle that clips to the front of the BC - it's primary purpose is to keep the wing tight against your side as much as possible.

On the LTD video you linked to start at 2:15 - that shows the Zipper mounted on the inside of the wing. Advance to 2:18 and you can see the maie end of the clip briefly with his arm as the background. At 2:19 when he reaches in for the weight pocket - you see that the clip is clipped. If my bag were open I could reach farther in and pull the stuff out - even with the clip clipped. Possibly even open the pocket since I'm right handed and zip the pocket on the left side of the bladder - never tried it.

To get the mask easier I would unclip that clip and pull the bag towards the front side of the wing - it would not be touching my body at that point - and open it and pull out the mask.

The weirdest thing about that first video is that when he's showing how the zip mount installs on the BC - the wing is on the wrong way since the dumps are facing backwards. The dumps on a Ranger are on the inside surface of the wing (defined by the fold/seam) towards the front. If you back up a few seconds to where he's attaching the Pony near the end - which btw is valve down - he then folds over and clips the "Zeagle" flap over it. The pocket would mount in the same way/place except oriented up.

I can't get to my gear right now but if this isn't clear - post here and I'll attach the pocket and post a few pictures on the weekend.

This may sort of help also - how I mounted my knife on the right side of my BC. If the pocket were in place it would be under the flap under the Zeagle and to the right of it in that dark space. Of course that would be a right hand pocket - they sell both.

zeaglemount.jpg

Last edited:
I was recently certified as a Divemaster, I'm not sure if I want to continue into instructor level certifications but I do really want to get into tech and extended range diving, but it looks like both BCDs would serve that purpose.

I dove a Ranger for many years. Liked it a lot once I changed a few things on it like ditching that silly roll down pocket. That said once I started tech diving I quit using my Ranger and just used a BP and wing. You can put a set of doubles on a Ranger but you need a few things to make it work. And then it is okay.

My suggestion is that if you really want to get into tech diving at some point you look at BP and wings. Zeagle has some nice options as does Deep See Supply and some other mfgs. BP and wing for a single tank is nice and streamlined.

A few other things to think about. The Ranger weighs in at just over 8lbs. My BP and wing weighs a bit less than that. Further, my back plate is real weight. So when diving an AL80 in warm water I add 4lbs and that is it. When diving my Ranger it was more like 12lbs. That 8 lbs was to over come the buoyancy of the BCD. Also BP and Wing combo will cost you 2/3 price of the Ranger.

That said if you really want a Ranger just get the Ranger - the Limited has too many unnecessary things.

I dive a Zeagle Ranger and will be switching to a BP/W rig for fundies and possible tech diving. IMO if you want to get into tech just go with a BP/W setup right now and save yourself the hassle of switching in the future.

will respond to your first post, then insert comments

right shoulder dump. useless, truly completely useless. If you're doing technical diving you'll always use the butt dump because you're in good trim, and at the surface you don't actually have to bent the inflator up over your head, no idea why people teach that. the inflator just has to be level with the highest point of the wing to dump all the air. That said you should never have to dump all of the air because you're naturally overweighted due to the gas in your tank at the beginning of the dive. The normal inflator also allows for instant depth compensation during vertical ascents because you hold the oral inflate button, raise it until it is level with the bottom of the bubble so you are neutral, then as you ascent using lung volume or sculling, it will automatically dump the excess air preventing you from having a slinky ascent.
zip-mount-expensive gimmick. With a plate you use quick links and don't have to worry about zippers failing.
weight pouches-nice, but don't need them
color panels will fade in sun, salt, and chlorine. Nylon always fades, including black. Polyester doesn't have the abrasion resistance so they don't use it.

Now, for the real concern

if you want into tech and extended range, just get a bp/w. You'll save money, have a better rig, and won't have to buy again later. Seriously, you will have a lot of people sounding like a broken record, but the ranger is a complete and utter waste of money, especially if you are interested in the tech route. If you teach, and the shop requires you to be in gear they sell, they better provide it for you. Just use the rental gear, but for personal diving, especially tech, you'll need a BP/W or Sidemount rig. You won't need weight pouches because the SS plates will allow you to take 8lbs of lead off compared to a jacket bc *jackets are usually a couple of pounds positive*.

Deep Sea Supply is best bang for buck for cost/quality/features etc. Run about $500 and will be the last rig you have to buy. Call Tobin and talk to him. They're made in the USA, they're cheaper than basically all of the brand name rigs, have great customer service, and are equal or higher quality than everything that I can think of out there

The Zeagle Ranger, and the Ranger LTD are both well-made pieces of equipment. I have had excellent functional service from a variety of Zeagle products (primarily regulators, but my Ranger as well). I have had simply outstanding service support from the Zeagle organization, and that has continued after the Huish acquisition. But, I will join Scared Silly, tbone1004 and gkrane in suggesting that, given your stated intentions for future diving, you seriously consider an alternative. I will echo several of Tom's sentiments, in particular.
tbone1004:
if you want into tech and extended range, just get a bp/w. You'll save money, have a better rig, and won't have to buy again later.
This isn't just a BP/W fetish, or favorable comments coming from a cult - rather, if you 'do really want to get into tech and extended range diving', please consider a simple BP/W - it will serve you better than a Ranger.
tbone1004:
right shoulder dump. useless, truly completely useless. If you're doing technical diving you'll always use the butt dump because you're in good trim
A good point. A left shoulder dump can be used to some extent when you are in horizontal trim - simply roll to your right, so the dump is 'high'. There really isn't a need for a second one on the right shoulder. And, if you are in good horizontal trim, your butt dump is your best friend. I can appreciate why you might think you want one, coming from the position of using a SeaQuest BCD - my old SeaQuest Pro QD had one, my newer Aqualung Wave (pool BCD) has one. They are there. I don't use them, but they are there, so it might be tempting to think, 'Hey, I want to replicate a lot of what I have now.' Don't.
dkiely:
anyone have any experience with Zeagles color panels long term?
Yes. I have a 13 y.o. Ranger with blue panels. There is a little fade, but not much. However, there is probably a good reason - I never used it in the pool, and it has been sitting in a dark closet for most of the last 9 years.
tbone1004:
color panels will fade in sun, salt, and chlorine
Fading is inevitable, if you use your gear. Personally, I think red fades a bit more than other colors, but I have limited exposure beyond blue.

Thanks for all the info and help!

Would you all say that a BP/W set up would be good even though 99% of my diving will be in South FL with reefs not really getting deeper than 100ft? I guess I could better word that by saying 99% of my diving will be no-deco recreational diving and working as a Divemaster (with students, guided trips, etc) with hopes of getting into technical diving in the next few years, but unlikely to get into it in the near future.

I have just over 100 dives logged, and only a handful in the 100ft depth range, most of the classes I've looked into require more dives and also require that a considerable number of them be in the 90-120ft range. Thats probably a subject for another thread, don't mean to get off topic.

I guess I always associated a BP/w set up as a strictly tech set up that might not be practical for recreational diving. Working at a shop down here I get a really good deal on gear and it would put the ranger at around the $330 mark and the Ranger LTD at the $400 mark. Since I get a really good price would you say it'd be a good idea to go ahead and pick one up now since it's unlikely I'll be able to get into tech diving for a couple years and most of my diving currently will be around students and/or vacation divers?

I know all colors fade I was just thinking red may fade faster and end up looking pink. Whatever I use I wont be putting it in the pool, Ill keep my old Seaquest for that.

I never thought about a right shoulder dump not really being necessary but now that you mention it I guess it isn't, I'm just so used to using one. I've also gotten in the habit of using it incase I need to surface with an out of air diver and am using my SS1 to breath out of (which after reading into it more I think I'm gonna ditch it for a standard octo).

---------- Post added October 9th, 2015 at 10:24 PM ----------

I can't get to my gear right now but if this isn't clear - post here and I'll attach the pocket and post a few pictures on the weekend.

This may sort of help also - how I mounted my knife on the right side of my BC. If the pocket were in place it would be under the flap under the Zeagle and to the right of it in that dark space. Of course that would be a right hand pocket - they sell both.

View attachment 217670

What did you use to cut holes for your knife, I have the exact same BC knife, that was another concern that there aren't any holes built in and I'd have to cut into a brand new BC if I wanted to use my knife

Most of my diving is recreational with a single tank and I use a BP&W. A couple years ago my wife, who dove a Zeagle Concept and loved it switched over to a BP&W. Her comment is that while the Concept was really comfortable is was a bit of a beast. At this point she is used to the BP&W it being streamlined and not needing much weight. That said she and I both use a pad on the back plate which does make it a wee bit more comfortable.

RE: your knife - just work the fabric to make a hole. That is what I did when I mounted a knife with my Ranger.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom