Backpad or No?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rfwoodvt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Morning!

Going to start diving with an OMS back plate that came with a back pad. Not sure whether I want to keep the pad attached or take it off. Am looking for opinions one way or the other and the reasons behind those opinions.

I understand that general comfort may be the primary reason. But in my case I'm not sure how much that will apply. To wit, I've been diving with both a Zeagle Ranger (without lumbar pad) and Ranger LTD with one built in.

Can't say I favor one over the other specifically in regards to comfort so I don't think the comfort reason will play much in to my decision.

I dive exclusively in a TLS350 Drysuit and run single AL80 tank with a AL19 bailout.

Thanks for the input!

With the pad it may feel more like the Ranger but it wont take long until you won’t notice. I generally don’t bother with them, my new S tek has one that I haven’t bothered removing (yet)

Never used a back pad once I went to a plate. Includes diving a dry suit (single and twin steel tanks), 7mm wet suit (single steels), 2mm (single steels and AL), and a t-shirt (AL).

I do have very modest (non-neoprene) shoulder sleeves on my harness for t-shirt diving. I prefer them with the walks associated with shore diving.

I used a pad for a while because my xDeep rig came with it and then took it off. I found that once I’m in the water, the pad is inconsequential (IMO). Topsides, I prefer the unrestricted access to everything for inspection and maintenance plus it’s one less thing to dry out.

If you walk a bit, maybe then it’s worth keeping.

I do have very modest (non-neoprene) shoulder sleeves on my harness for t-shirt diving. I prefer them with the walks associated with shore diving.

What are you using for sleeves? (pcis?)

Take it off vs. leave it on....the only opinion that matters is what works best for you.

-Z

If you are concerned about comfort, I use a backplate with t-shirts and don't have any discomfort. Did a week of shore diving in Bonaire without any problem.

If the back pad has a storage pocket that you plan to use, it might be useful.

I believe in the minimalistic approach, if it doesn't add anything, I remove it.

In regards to the BP pad with pockets; are there any here who actually store and deploy a DSMB from the pocket?

In regards to the BP pad with pockets; are there any here who actually store and deploy a DSMB from the pocket?
When I had a pad, I kept a lift bag in the pocket...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom