zeagle Stiletto to bpw

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rebelmarine62

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Not sure if this is the right spot or not..I got a brand new Stilleto from my lds when I got certified he said it was the best...now that I have some dives under my belt um throwing the bs flag...I have read tons of forums on bpw and now some guys that dive them and swear by them. So I want to switch to a bpw the main reason is clutter and bulky of the Stilleto...I dive cold fresh water a lot with a 7/5 wetsuit and have a steel 72 tank. I plan to go dry suit when I get money(probably a couple of years)...

So here's my ?

1 is there different size backplates I'm 5'10 average build
2 can I use the wing from my zeagle Stilleto
3 should I sell the Stilleto and start fresh
4 if I do sell it what should I ask it has a dozen dives on it so it's brand new
5 I don't Want to spend much at all
6 I now some guys who do metal work could I have them build a back plate cheaper than buying one
7 I want basic bpw hog harness I believe there called

any and all info would help a lot I'm new to all this also I intend to become a tech diver sometime down the road if that helps

Sell and start fresh. I have a Stilleto, and I think you'd have alot of difficulty attaching the bladder (it's not a wing) to a BP.

Sorry, but you'll take a loss. Dive gear is like a car; once you take it diving, you'll never get your full cost back. Why pay full price for even slightly used gear when you can get Brand New Gear for the same price? And the Zeagle warranty only covers the original purchaser.

I'm sure that you could have a BP made, but given the fine work required, and the bends needed, it'd be easier to buy. Whoever does that will have to do alot of polishing to take off the rough edges from the torch. You'd probably pay more having just one fabricated.

Personally, I'd borrow and dive a BP/W several times before you switch. You may not like it, and want that Stilleto back. You bought that Stilleto without diving it; why make the same mistake twice?

Suggest you borrow a BP/W and get in a couple dives before deciding what to do with the Stilleto. Not suggesting that you won't like it, but better to be sure. I have a Stilleto as well as a Halcyon BP/W. The BP/W is easier to pack, there is less clutter and slightly less weight needed (partly due to the backplate and party to less buoyancy), but both dive similarly. I wouldn't bother making your own backplate - even if you get it made right I doubt you save much money if you consider a used BP/W setup. You can check craiglist or ebay, etc for used BP/W if you want to save some money. You won't be able to use the Stilleto wing on your BP. Some companies make different size backplates (regular and long) but many companies only have a one-size-fits-all.

Definitely borrow a bp/w and make sure it's the right choice for you. I happened to meet a kind scubaboard poster at the local quarry and he let me dive his transplate rig. I knew before I even hit the water that I'd be switching but not everyone is as immediately comfortable. There are different options but most folks who end up in a bp/w also end up with a traditional one-piece harness, from what I've seen. I don't personally find anything wrong with the "comfort" harnesses but if you're trying to reduce clutter, I'd say skip right to the traditional webbing and bypass anything with a comfort harness.

To answer your specific questions:

1) Yes there are different sizes, but a "standard" plate should fit you just fine. You really only need to consider non-standard if you have a really short or long torso which doesn't come into play until you're ~6'3" or 5'1 ish.

2) You probably could but it would be one hellofa hack to make it work well. Better to find a used wing.

3) Yes, I think that would be the easiest/best choice.

4) Hate to say it but "a dozen dives" isn't brand new. It might be "like new" but you're not likely to get anywhere close to what you paid for the stiletto. Other than that I have no help for you as I have no idea what your wallet needs and what you paid for the stiletto originally. I would say I wouldn't pay more than $75-100 for one, personally.

5) A good estimate will be ~$300-400 for a plate and wing, but it can be done for less.

6) Definitely possible to make your own plate. There are even several plans for them here in the DIY section, if you do some searching. I made a PVC one that works great. Cost me $6 I think, but doesn't give me the benefit of added weight. It's good for tropical diving with my steel tanks though.

7) Yes, probably the right choice for budget and "de-cluttering".

Back
Top Bottom